Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
Ok I have a completely new Dell System that is top of the line. I have the 5800 series radeon graphics card, i7 processor and 12 gigs of ram.

Yet when I play STO my character has little black slashmarks around the edges of his form making him appear to be "Out of Phase" with the rest of reality. This happens also with objects in space while in ship mode.

What gives? Is this a hardware problem or a settings issue? Is it a driver problem? Please help me because the customer service from this company is absolutely HORRIBLE! Actually its non-extistant so this is pretty much my only option.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-29-2010, 09:12 AM
I just got my new rig and it has a 5750 ati video card, i7 processor...at any rate, when I started playing the game with it I was expecting amazement but I got this same hashing effect on the edges of my toons and ship.

The only way I've found to fix it so far is to turn off the setting called Screen Ambient Space Occlusion.

Do that and your picture will turn sparkling clear. I think the card must not support that kind of shading.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-29-2010, 04:04 PM
I made that change you suggested and it helped a bit but i still have the "black slashmarks around the edges of objects" phenomenon. Especially around asteroids in space missions.

The customer service staff here is totally asleep at the wheel, if they actually exist. This is outrageous that they would have such poor customer service for an MMO.

For the amount of money being paid I expect this game to run with crystal clear graphics.

Anyone else encounter this problem? Any suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 4 Hash Marks
04-30-2010, 03:40 AM
AdSin15, did you try updating your drivers? I tried updating mine last night and my performance actually went down due to it.

I'm going to investigate this the best I can. I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

Last night I was playing the Kuva'mah (sp?) episode and when I'd turn the camera towards the water, I got the hash marks horizontally along the face of the water.

During that same episode I tried fiddling with the video settings. When I turned shadows up full blast, I got the hash marks on the trees, vertically, where the bark was folded/rippled going up the truncks of the trees.

Anyways, like I said, I'd love to find a fix for this and I'm going to start looking now.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-30-2010, 06:44 AM
yes I tried that. my drivers are all up to date.

I tried messing with the shadows too and I had the same effect. Hash marks dissappeared around some objects but now appear around other objects that didnt have them before.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-30-2010, 06:53 AM
So people from Cryptic don't actually do anything do they? They don't help people or read the forums and attempt to answer questions?

Is no customer service the new customer service standard with online video games? Back in the day you could actually contact people and they would tell you the answer to your question.

You know Digital River offered to refund my purchase of STO if I wasn't satisfiied with it. Im thinking they'd rather gimme my money back than fix my problem. Its probably cheaper that way. Its cheaper to lose 1000 customers than pay 1 tech support guy I suppose.

Hey cryptic what do you think I should do? Quit STO and get my money back or keep playing with these messed up graphics?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-30-2010, 08:29 AM
I have the same computer you do and found a work around. Go to Options, then Video. Click Monitor Vertical Snyc either on or off. If you have it on, click it off. If you have it off, click it on. Then click Apply.

Seems to clear up the hash marks. I find I have to click this one way or the other every time I log on. There's obviously a conflict or something going on there with our card.

I haven't tried the Ambient Occlusion yet, but will do that next time
Lt. Commander
# 8 Solved
04-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi guys,

What fixed it for me was correcting my CCC settings for the ATI GPU Scaling Fix for Windows 7 ...

I found out that for some reason my ATI card is 15% underscan by default.
Found it under the : Catalyst Control Center, Graphics, Desktop and Displays
I just moved the slider to 0% and it filled my screen :-)

Since doing that I can turn all the settings in Trek up Full Blast. No Hashmarks !! Yay!!
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I dont have that option in my catalyst control center.

Problem is definately NOT solved. Anyone else have any solutions I can try? Nothing seems to work. Also its been several days and Im still waiting for a GM response.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Also people need to keep in mind that I know almost nothing about computers and will not be able to perform any sort of complex, software/reprogramming fix for this issue.

Basically I need someone to make a detailed response, step by step to show me what I need to do to fix this.

I'd really appreciate it if a GM could answer my question here on the forum because thats what a GMs job is. How many GMs are there? Five for 5 million players? My last GM ticket said I was 840,114th in line to be helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats the most insane backlog of GM requests Ive ever encountered. Lets get a move on people.