Lt. Commander
There are a number of posts here on the forums about a wanting for more variations on ship customizations. The options for character customization are far greater than those for the ships, and we spend far more time in space than on the ground.

I realize that adding new artwork takes time and money, but there are angles to customization that can be employed that I'm surprised aren't there that don't require new artwork.
  1. Mix and match nacelles from the same classes but different tiers. So long as they make sense scale-wise, why not allow this? It uses existing artwork. (i.e., putting T4 cruiser nacelles on a T5 cruiser) Nacelles sit on the end of pylons, so there aren't any challenges with model element alignment.
  2. Allow saucers, pylons and nacelles to be moved up/down and front/back (within limits) on a model. For instance, you could lower the height a saucer sat on a hull (or raise it, again within limits to prevent clipping or seperation). Or, slide nacelles and/or pylons forward and back. These should all require minimal model changes, if any at all, and would really allow for a customized look. Just impose limits to prevent problems.

Anyway, I thought I'd toss my ideas out there. I'm curious if anyone else has anything similar in mind. Who knows, Cryptic may like some of them.

Regards,

R
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-29-2010, 03:04 PM
We should be able to copy the skins from lower tiers and use them on our higher tier ships.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
We should be able to copy the skins from lower tiers and use them on our higher tier ships.
I can see that happening with T4 ships... maybe Tier 3. Anything lower might cause issues with lesser ships being too powerful. For instance, an Excaliber shouldn't be able to go toe to toe with a Sovereign. But yes, I do some opportunities with that as well.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Copying the skins of lower tier ships to use on Tier 5 ships is a good idea. Seeing a Nova destroy a Sovereign makes no sense canon-wise, but some people love the Nova and would like to captain their favorite ship all the way through the game. Is that such a bad thing?