Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
04-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Dang. RSP and ES stripping were the two big features of the new SNB I was looking for.
SNB turns off RSP and RSP is the only really effective counter to massed dps... so don't worry, SNB is still the "I WIN" button
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
04-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
vm doesn't touch shield power.

ES chaining can be disrupted by any interupt that disables the ship for at least 1 second. photonic shockwave is absolutely amazing at smashing a chain because it stuns ALOT of people within the 5km chains.
I forgot about that little detail, but it could still be more effective; especially if the one being supplied extended shields doesn't notice their cruiser buddy suddenly stopping due to engine troubles.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
04-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosengine View Post
Interesting..after searching and reading everything I could, all the information I found pointed to photonic shockwave being a subpar skill at best. Is it better now?
Because its subpar, people have only barely experimented with it. As such, it largely remained a wild card.

photonic shockwave is one of those skills that looks REALLY bad on paper, and is really bad against an unorganized team. however, it really becomes amazing against organized teams that chain extend shields extensively.

Its a niche skill, and works wonders against an extend chain (or any channeled skill for that matter). The better the team, the more likely they are to be extend chaining, and the more viable the skill becomes.

so in summary, people thought it was bad but didn't realize that it had a very strong utility in that it can disrupt channeled effects.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
04-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Tractor Repulse is also very effective at separating a target from their support. Cut one out from the herd and commence slaughter
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
04-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
Because its subpar, people have only barely experimented with it. As such, it largely remained a wild card.

photonic shockwave is one of those skills that looks REALLY bad on paper, and is really bad against an unorganized team. however, it really becomes amazing against organized teams that chain extend shields extensively.

Its a niche skill, and works wonders against an extend chain (or any channeled skill for that matter). The better the team, the more likely they are to be extend chaining, and the more viable the skill becomes.

so in summary, people thought it was bad but didn't realize that it had a very strong utility in that it can disrupt channeled effects.
I actually love Photonic Shockwave I. It's a great stun, does decent damage when a facing shield is down, and it's perfect for a) knocking people back when they try to go past you and get in your rear arc b) stop ramming speed c) destroy mines/Plasma/Tricobalt torps d) disrupting ES. It's one of my staple powers now.

Now that I know it disrupts ES, I plan on cloaking into the middle of a Fedball and popping Photonic Shockwave and Tractor Repulsors to keep them confused and unable to recover from the Alpha Strike.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
04-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosengine View Post
Interesting..after searching and reading everything I could, all the information I found pointed to photonic shockwave being a subpar skill at best. Is it better now?
Better now? It's the same as it ever was. It's damage is kinetic. So people write it off as useless because it doesn't do big damage.

It does what it always did. And looks pretty doing it. The looking pretty part has always been its biggest selling point.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
04-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRev
Tractor Repulse is also very effective at separating a target from their support. Cut one out from the herd and commence slaughter
If you want to push a ship away ... really really AWAY from you ... Tractor Repulse has always been what I consider the best at doing that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
05-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
Neither works. ES is a channeled buff, effectively a 1-second buff that gets reapplied every second. SNBing the source ship does nothing, and SNBing the recipient removes it for one second or so before the next refresh.

Hazard Emitters, which is intuitively similar, is actually quite different mechanically. HE is a single buff, pure and simple. It gets stripped if you SNB the guy that the buff is on.
You realize that copying and pasting text from another person's post without their permission or without even citation is considered plagiarism.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
VM might be a better solution for Extend Shields. It relies on shield power, if you can shutdown the giver's shield power or drastically drop the power level (target Shield Sub System), Extend Shields becomes almost useless.
vm doesnt work in it's current state. it's not actually doing anything.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
05-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luepert View Post
You realize that copying and pasting text from another person's post without their permission or without even citation is considered plagiarism.
grow up. this forum is private domain. any and all posts you make here actually belong to cryptic and not you
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:38 PM.