Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
just as the title asked, are you into into it? do you hate it? opinions?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Crunchy, delightful entertainment for the kiddies!

...with hints of Tentacle Hentai "stuff".

(Actually, it is too mainstream now IMO).
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-29-2010, 10:18 AM
there's a reason the word "love" is in Lovecraft

<3 tentacles and insanity....and moon cats w/ red diamonds too
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-29-2010, 10:28 AM
I've read most if not all of Lovecraft's mythos stories. When they are done well, they evoke an environment of dread and forboding that it seems has all too often been replaced with a splatter-gore aesthetic in today's horror stories. I like the dawning realization of something horrible as opposed to being spoon-fed "booga-booga" cat-jumped-out-of-the-bushes "thrills".

It's not all great. Some of his stories are less-than-awesome pulp tales and his tendency to spend paragraphs (if not pages) describing something that he himself said was indescribable has become a recurrent joke among my friends, but more often than not I have enjoyed them (and I do not consider myself a "horror fan" really).

As said above, some aspects of it have been mainstreamed into irrelevance, but among those who have read them they still conjure up a nice reference point for looming dread and "cosmic horror".
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-29-2010, 10:31 AM
I find it interesting how Lovecraft was so, free with his creations. It is not uncommon knowledge that he and Howard had quite the friendship and Howard used a lot of Lovecraft's stuff in his novels as well. I don't know how often that happens anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-29-2010, 10:35 AM
I haven't really read anything of Lovecraft's. I'm too busy being hip deep in Greeks, Celts, Aztecs....Iroquois...what else.....
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacerd View Post
I find it interesting how Lovecraft was so, free with his creations. It is not uncommon knowledge that he and Howard had quite the friendship and Howard used a lot of Lovecraft's stuff in his novels as well. I don't know how often that happens anymore.
It still happens from time to time, even in this day and age. If not among friends, among those that admire the other's work. I've seen it many times in comic books, but it does pop up in novels and some movies; some people will share something similar that another author wrote or change it subtlely and adapt it to their work.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.R.O.P.H.E.T.
I've read most if not all of Lovecraft's mythos stories. When they are done well, they evoke an environment of dread and forboding that it seems has all too often been replaced with a splatter-gore aesthetic in today's horror stories. I like the dawning realization of something horrible as opposed to being spoon-fed "booga-booga" cat-jumped-out-of-the-bushes "thrills".

It's not all great. Some of his stories are less-than-awesome pulp tales and his tendency to spend paragraphs (if not pages) describing something that he himself said was indescribable has become a recurrent joke among my friends, but more often than not I have enjoyed them (and I do not consider myself a "horror fan" really).

As said above, some aspects of it have been mainstreamed into irrelevance, but among those who have read them they still conjure up a nice reference point for looming dread and "cosmic horror".
Even the less than stellar stuff gets the mind going...more so than a lot of other peoples' rubbish work
so even at worst to me it's something to chew on mentally
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold-Rush View Post

(Actually, it is too mainstream now IMO).
how does it being mainstream effect the content?
you either like it or you don't. How popular it isn't a factor in that, or atleast it shouldn't be.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Hack that would be Stephanie Myers greatest fan if alive today.

God damn, couldn't write for toffee, Poe wannabe schmuck.