Lt. Commander
# 1 Trek as Anime?
04-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Since there seems to be quite a few Anime fans here in TF it got me to thinking. . . How well would Star Trek translate into an Anime series?

And yes I am well aware there was an animated series at one time, I watched it when I was a kid, but can't really recall much about it.

As Anime I actually think it would work pretty well, assuming they stick mostly to canon anyhow. Of course it would be over the minute Kirk starts fighting in a Gundam :p

I'm curious to know what others here in TF might think about it.

And just for the record there is no indication that any Anime companies are thinking about making Star Trek: the Anime.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-29-2010, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it just so long as they don't go with the crappy animation style that they have with Star Wars. That hurts the eyes. I mean, come on, I know it's animation, but does it have to look like these guys would cut the razor when they shave?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Already is a manga. Looked through one at a local bookstore, looks pretty interesting. But I grabbed the next on in the Bleach series I am presently reading instead.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Already is a manga. Looked through one at a local bookstore, looks pretty interesting. But I grabbed the next on in the Bleach series I am presently reading instead.
I'm still waiting for the last book of one manga series I enjoy to be published. Sigh.... that and I wish I had money for more manga...and more shelf space....and a bigger house to store them all in....can I just get a lot of money?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-29-2010, 01:30 PM
I think it would be a good idea if the show itself was good. With animation you can do a lot more then you can with live action as far as special effects and action goes, but with the challenge of getting a good acting performance out of your characters, however...

I think Star Trek itself may be nearing its own end, its always supposed to have been about pushing society to be better by challenging norms. In TOS it was widespread racism and intolerance, in TNG it was humanity's own code of ethics, in DS9 it was homosexual intolerance and society's blind eye to cloak and dagger affairs done in our name, Hell in voyager they had to invent a whole new demographic for us to be intolerant of so they could push that envelope. One of the reasons Enterprise sucked so bad is that it tackled no real issues. When we run out of social injustices to put into Star Trek we will have achieved Roddenberry's vision for society. We aren't there yet but we are closer then we have ever been.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Two things...

(Well, three actually...)

1) Antarctic Press put out some fandom efforts (from Japan) of some humorous Star Trek adventures called "Star Trekker". Three issues came out. Not sure if more was done (in Japan).

2) Currently, there are more "serious" books (than listed above) that you should be able to currently buy at your local bookstore/online vendor.

3) I have been thinking along these lines myself and been thinking of putting something together. I just got to teach myself how to your video-editing software on the comp, animate (or not) and a few other things. Sheesh!

EDIT : Ravenstein swooped in with one answer. I got two of them and they aren't that bad, but they do sorta twist canon in some cases.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFork
I think it would be a good idea if the show itself was good. With animation you can do a lot more then you can with live action as far as special effects and action goes, but with the challenge of getting a good acting performance out of your characters, however...

I think Star Trek itself may be nearing its own end, its always supposed to have been about pushing society to be better by challenging norms. In TOS it was widespread racism and intolerance, in TNG it was humanity's own code of ethics, in DS9 it was homosexual intolerance and society's blind eye to cloak and dagger affairs done in our name, Hell in voyager they had to invent a whole new demographic for us to be intolerant of so they could push that envelope. One of the reasons Enterprise sucked so bad is that it tackled no real issues. When we run out of social injustices to put into Star Trek we will have achieved Roddenberry's vision for society. We aren't there yet but we are closer then we have ever been.
As someone who deals with social justice issues every day, I have to disagree. I think the problem with Enterprise and Voyager is that they did not want to really deal with the social issues for fear of alienating a lot of people who they thought would be the demographics. A lot of people in charge just did not seem to want to take anything on. There is a lot that can be addressed and should be addressed, but I suspect that profit and trying to keep UPN running actually had more to do with why Star Trek had problems than lack of social issues.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshign
As someone who deals with social justice issues every day, I have to disagree. I think the problem with Enterprise and Voyager is that they did not want to really deal with the social issues for fear of alienating a lot of people who they thought would be the demographics. A lot of people in charge just did not seem to want to take anything on. There is a lot that can be addressed and should be addressed, but I suspect that profit and trying to keep UPN running actually had more to do with why Star Trek had problems than lack of social issues.
Very true.

You have to also remember, corporations (and film studios) are pretty conservative nowadays. Nothing to "mar" or "ruin" their "babies".

A few years ago, Paramount put a great big DENT in Star Trek fandom by threatening legal action to many fan-based and non-profit publications and related things that had the "Star Trek" name. They seemed to have loosened up a bit, but not too much. They are not "Disney", but Trek-fandom is not what it used to be.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshign
So what you are saying is, exactly what I said but you want to be able to disagree with me.

Like i said ENT was just a, weee look at us in space show. VOY brought up the whole issue of the Doctor's rights but that doesn't really count when photonic/computerized life form is a demographic that does not really exist.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold-Rush View Post
Very true.

You have to also remember, corporations (and film studios) are pretty conservative nowadays. Nothing to "mar" or "ruin" their "babies".

A few years ago, Paramount put a great big DENT in Star Trek fandom by threatening legal action to many fan-based and non-profit publications and related things that had the "Star Trek" name. They seemed to have loosened up a bit, but not too much. They are not "Disney", but Trek-fandom is not what it used to be.
Very true, and look what it did in the end. They had to sell it off to CBS. One of the things that will be interesting to see in the new timeline going forward is just how Spock and the other Vulcans cope with being refugees. That is a very real social issue today with the numbers of refugees that are out there.

I'll be honest as well, Enterprise could and should have dealt strongly with issues such as terrorism, gay/lesbian/transgender rights/issues, refugee status, environmental disaster, and a dozen other issues without having to bring in this Temporal Cold War stuff. The final season of Enterprise was the best, to my opinion, because they finally started dealing with a lot of the stuff that they should have from the beginning, but were to afraid to before then. Heck- Futurama is a lot more cutting edge on the social commentary.

STO suffers from some of the same problems. We the fanbase want it to deal with more social issues, more in depth stories, etc, but Cryptic is not really going to do that because CBS is standing over their shoulder saying "don't you dare do anything to mess this up" while basically pushing Cryptic to, well, mess this up.