Lt. Commander
# 11
04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFork
So what you are saying is, exactly what I said but you want to be able to disagree with me.

Like i said ENT was just a, weee look at us in space show. VOY brought up the whole issue of the Doctor's rights but that doesn't really count when photonic/computerized life form is a demographic that does not really exist.
Actually, I was disagreeing with you saying that there aren't as many social justice issues around to worry about or write about any more. There are. The problem really was that ENT and VOY were hands off those because Paramount and now CBS are reluctant to deal with them in any meaningful manner that would damage their potential profits even if it means ruining the whole thing.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Hmm, I was unaware of the manga books, but then I more favor Anime over manga. Guess I'm bit lazy that way . *sigh* I used to read a lot more.

I'd be curious to see what Trek Anime characters would be designed like. The art on the cover of the manga shown by Raven and Gold-Rush don't look much like traditional anime/manga styles.

I'd also be curious to see what a Japanese writer would be able to come up with for the series.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
I was saying most of them have already been done. Not that they aren't around any more.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
I was saying most of them have already been done. Not that they aren't around any more.
I am not sure that they can't be done again or done a bit differently. Too often if people think that something has been 'done', then they forget that it is still around.

I do agree with you about the fact that this whole thing with how ENT and VOY were done was horrible since they did not really make it clear to people what they were discussing or why it was important. I do think that they really screwed up and could have done a lot of things much better than they did.

I think we agree that these issues are still there, that ENT and VOY did not really meaningfully discuss them, or deal with them.

I think where we disagree is that they could not have been done or had been done to death. I think on this one we'll have to agree to disagree.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaza View Post
I'd be curious to see what Trek Anime characters would be designed like. The art on the cover of the manga shown by Raven and Gold-Rush don't look much like traditional anime/manga styles.

I'd also be curious to see what a Japanese writer would be able to come up with for the series.
Especially the most recent manga, are done by different artists and writers, so you get different styles from story to story in one book.

Example 1

Another Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 4

Example 5
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-29-2010, 02:14 PM
But then it's not edgy or trailblazing, an interracial kiss now a days is not what it was in the 60s, a gay/lesbian moment is not what it was in the 90's. Government and society to a lesser extent have catching up to do but that's the nature of bringing the future to you.

Fallout of war and occupation could be the next step, Perhaps what exactly do you do when you have to occupy land and a people that want no part of you. Could you imagine it, a star trek show 90% planetside.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-29-2010, 02:18 PM
If there was a true manga/Japanime Star trek series I must have blocked it from memory due to manga style Shatner belly bulge. OMG! The horror!
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Quote:
But then it's not edgy or trailblazing, an interracial kiss now a days is not what it was in the 60s, a gay/lesbian moment is not what it was in the 90's. Government and society to a lesser extent have catching up to do but that's the nature of bringing the future to you.

Fallout of war and occupation could be the next step, Perhaps what exactly do you do when you have to occupy land and a people that want no part of you. Could you imagine it, a star trek show 90% planetside.
It doesn't have to be 90% planet side. The problem does become, though, that it would require a lot of work and a lot of coping with issues which a lot of the Corporations do not want to deal with or touch for fear of driving people away.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold-Rush View Post
Especially the most recent manga, are done by different artists and writers, so you get different styles from story to story in one book.

Example 1

Another Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4
Ah yes I see a bit more Anime/Manga influence in those, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold-Rush View Post
Uh-Oh. . . looks like Kirk was at it again. . .
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Don't look bad. Prefer the moving pictures though. Easier to understand.

As written in dumby lingo.