Lt. Commander
I've been nice and quiet and posted in the Tribble forum about this - where my demands got support -, but it appears though the devs read and reply there daily, this issue is being ignored. So I try again here.

Ferengi traits are - wrong.

I understand we - the Ferengi players - are a minority because we don't play a 'pretty' species. But that doesn't mean we should be treated as the stepchild on Fed side. While a minor species like Pakleds - featured in a single episode, plus some background appearances - gets a creative and correct trait, Ferengi are nothing like shown on screen.

* We have no visible, sharp teeth - opposed to Nausicaans and Letheans having their teeth.
* We have no financial trait - there was a trait called 'Lobes for Business' in open beta that mysteriously disappeared and no-one remembers what it did; only the name. The entire species is centered around gaining profit; its like Klingons are born warriors (and they have a 'warrior' trait).
* We have no psi resistance trait - immunity to most forms of telepathy due to the different brain structure is well known from TNG, DS9 and ENT.

I dare to go a step further and claim the devs dislike Ferengi. Why?

Well, IF Ferengi were a respected, equal species in the Federation, we wouldn't see a majority of all Ferengi in story missions as thieves, smugglers and criminals the player has to bully, capture or kill. If that is how Ferengi are portrayed in this game, let us be neutral and decide to work for any factions - KDF, Romulans, Cardassians.

Ferengi are the cheapest C-Store species - way cheaper than the less known Pakleds, for example. Like saying "Here's some cheap crap, take it and don't complain - it is CHEAP."

There is even a forum sticky about fraud named 'Beware of Ferengi Smugglers'. An official lobby to make a 'equal member species' of the Federation look bad, you could say.

With this posting, I'm not saying Cryptic should stop to make new species or anything. In fact, I bought all new ones from the C-Store, and would also like to buy the Rigelians. (Speaking of it, why is there no major uproar here? They were promised to come out with Tellarites and Pakleds, yet there is no release date anywhere in the calendar...)
All I ask for is fairness - change the traits of Ferengi to what they are in canon. Radiation/Toxic resistance? That is not the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about typical Ferengi traits. Anything finance related, a cowardy trait, and immunity to telepathy, that is what stands out. Probably the ability to talk the way out of a situation, as a diplomatic trait.

The original topic with all references to canon sources can be found here.

Suggested traits:

Acute Senses (as it is now)
Dual Lobed (90 % immnunity to psi & confuse - they are not 100 % resistant)

Any of these (credits to posters in original topic):

Shady Connections - summons a NPC that buys loot (10 mins CD)
Cowardice - summons a bodyguard that draws fire/protects Ferengi (Ferengi's damage reduced 50% for duration; duration 30 seconds, CD 5 mins)
Silver Tongue - reduces cost from vendors by 10 % / gets 10 % more profit (does not work with replicator)

+ selectable trait from regular list.

We do not have the lobby other more popular species have, so I hope this gets noticed for the sake of fairness. If Klingons had no 'warrior' trait, I would protest just like that.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-29-2010, 10:27 PM
What I am about to say is in no way meant as a flame to the OP.

I hate Ferengi. If it was up to me I would slag Ferenginar with as many torps as I could fire. They are slimy, untrustworthy, little trolls with an obsession for profit. I can't stand them in any shape or form

(NOTE: I am not against anyone playing them or liking them or what have you. The above is my opinion only and I don't begrudge anyone who does like them or plays them.)

Now, that I got that out of the way. It is too bad that we can't visit Ferenginar (Reason above). I hope eventually the Ferengi will be a added playable race.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Ferengi *are* a playable race. My issue is that they only look like Ferengi and have the wrong traits.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
Ferengi *are* a playable race. My issue is that they only look like Ferengi and have the wrong traits.
Sorry, I meant playable faction.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-29-2010, 11:01 PM
I personally love Ferengi, I think they add a lot to any episode they're in. That said tho, I don't think I could play one as the game is now, and since they're not as popular as say Romulans, this won't change anytime soon.

Be very cool tho someday in the future to be able to beam up to my very own Ferengi cruiser, fly around stealing, smuggling, and earning profit. That's what Ferengi do. So if you see some Ferengi being Ferengi, don't feel bad about it, envy them.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-29-2010, 11:25 PM
As much as I would like a Ferengi faction, for now I'd be happy with correct traits.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-29-2010, 11:45 PM
I, too, found the traits for the Ferengi rather off. That toxic resistance makes no sense. It's already thoroughly established that they are resilient to telepathic abilities. I do not recall it being mentioned anywhere that the Ferengi posses any outstanding physical resistances. If anything, I believe that they're quite delicate (their ears are especially fragile if I remember correctly).
I'm also wondering what happened to the Rigellians! I was really looking forward to playing as them. No one's seems to be bothered that they haven't even been mentioned anymore, much less pointed out how they've disappeared off the calendar entirely (heaven forbid the same thing should happen to the precious Caitians).
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-30-2010, 12:01 AM
I consider myself a bit of an expert for Ferengi, and there is ONE minor reference to possible toxic resistance... Early in DS9 (episode 'Babel') a virus effects everyone except Odo and Quark. However, this virus damages the part of the brain that connects words to their meaning; its a mental virus and Quark's immunity can also be explained with the different brain structure, leading back to telepathy resistance.
Other than that... Ferengi are quite fragile, really bad in any kind of combat (with the exception of Eliminators, but they are as rare as Klingons with no desire for battle) and tend to run away instead of facing any danger.

Rigelians, yes. I predicted this. When the Caitian extremists claimed they only insist on 'their' species because 'Cryptic broke the promise', release date-wise, I said no-one would act like that if it was one of the other species announced for this release frame. Here we go... I've seen a few people wondering where Rigelians are, but no enraged topics in all forums. I actually think Rigelians are very well done and have interesting traits. They have a slightly off color palette for the skin, but its on a list the devs look into, so it might be fixed before the release of the playable Rigelians.

Just to compare why I say Ferengi are the stepchild of the Feds...

Apperances Ferengi:
TNG: 15 episodes
DS9: 70 episodes
VOY: 5 episodes
ENT: 2 episodes

Tellarites:
ENT: 9
TOS: 3
TAS: 1
Movies: 2

Pakleds:
TNG: 1
DS9 (background extra): 18

Rigelian:
ENT: 3

While the 3 others have much less canon and screen time, they have unique and correct traits. I can't be asked too much to give the more prominently featured Ferengi correct traits, there is enough to pick from.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-30-2010, 12:06 AM
As I said in the Tribble Forum...

/Signed

I'm all for PSI defenses for Ferengi - so long as they come with a way to change traits on existing characters... I really don't want to have to reroll my Ferengi.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Same here, my main is a Ferengi RA5.

Andorians had their completely useless cold resistance changed to resistance against damage types that are actually in the game. I ask for no less. The Acute Senses would stay, the toxic/radiation resistance would be replaced with psi resistance. Maybe give the option to select the other 2 traits new. I have a random space and a random ground trait, and don't care much for either. The list of options was just so limited, and I had to pick something. I'd trade both for any of the suggested 3rd trait (my personal preference would be the Cowardice trait, as it could reflect 2 canon elements in one; shady connections with hired bullies like Nausicaans and Breen, or a Hypurian servant; and reflects that Ferengi are not made for combat).
Closed Thread