Lt. Commander
# 11
04-30-2010, 12:41 AM
OP other races will need debuffs against ferengi........ summon disgruntled customer to stone said ferengi, inflicting extra damage.......

lol
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Why? Only Letheans and Orions have active confuse traits. Only Reman captains have psi damage. That is a very minor part of the enemies. And right now, you could say that no-one has a defense trait against Lethean Rapture and Orion Seduce.

I'm sorry it is canon that Ferengi are immune to telepathy, but taking it away from them because it doesn't fit in the game is like making all Bajorans atheists. If its so un-doable, then don't offer the species as a playable one.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-30-2010, 03:36 AM
Incidentally, I was the one who suggested "Shady Connections".

My other thought is something I call "Ears for Opportunity" which is where you have a rare chance on killing blow to turn an enemy into a vendor instead.

The thing with that or "Shady Connections" is that aside from being exotic is that they speak more to a (cultural) learned trait. We have a few of these like "Spiritual" and "Vulcan Nerve Pinch" which were learned by adept non-Vulcans. You also have some really weird and interesting examples in Star Trek lore of things like Cellular Metamorphosis, an Antosian healing and shapeshifting practice that can be taught to non-Antosians.

The more I think about it, the more I can see it being tied to a racial recustomization (and upgrades) which people have been calling for. People want new racial traits for existing races. They want to upgrade to the racials that their Epic BOs have. They want to be able to re-select racial trait abilities due to rebalancing.

I think what would make the most sense is to develop a system out of it. Make traits be something that you collect and even trade. Have a system for teaching traits to other players, learning traits from NPCs, etc.

At a fairly reasonable cost, you can get traits normally accessible to your species. At a higher cost, you get any traits which are THEORETICALLY learnable. To get these involves time/money/activity on a homeworld.

So you could go to Feringinar and spend time there for all business related traits. You could spend time on Vulcan and learn the nerve pinch as a non-Vulcan (but not the mindmeld) at great time and expense and then specialize in teaching people, as a crafting type exercise. Out there would be epic traits like Cellular Metamorphosis -- which might be represented as an extra coistume slot you can edit without a tailor and a very slight passive healing bonus.

I'm going to mull this over but I'm thinking this should be STO's crafting... and the beauty of it is that it's closer to ********'s traditional enchanting (prior to inscribing, anyway), in that it's a service performed on site, in person. It's social, not something you typically do over an auction house. That could be very good for STO.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-30-2010, 04:29 AM
I agree. Many 'traits' are more professions. There are no species that are naturally 'effienct captains' - every species can train and become that. 'Soldier' is also a matter of military training, its not a racial trait like immunity to certain poisons. Or - psi immunity. There could be kits or skills to improve traits like Empathic, Telepathic or Mental Discipline (for non-telepaths that undergo mental training, i.e. Section 31).

All that would require a new system and changes on all species' traits. However, simply correcting the Ferengi traits could be done with a patch like Andorian traits were corrected.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-30-2010, 05:49 AM
No, this time I'm not letting the issue be/drop to page 3546.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Awesome how little people care if the problem is not about their fave species.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-30-2010, 04:14 PM
I made the shortest Ferengi female I could for my tactical captain. I find it amusing to be a badass melee Ferengi female, beating down Klingons with a Bat'leth. I do agree that the racial traits should be psi resistance, rather than toxin resistance. I mean, toxin resistance comes to mind for the Vorta more than the Ferengi.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Exactly my thought. Vorta are one of the few species with real poison resistance. Maybe you could count Bolians, though its not exactly poisons.

Maybe Cryptic just mixed things up here... Originally, it was planned that Ferengi have very good ears and very bad eyes. In the end, that 'trait' went to the Vorta.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB

I hate Ferengi. If it was up to me I would slag Ferenginar with as many torps as I could fire. They are slimy, untrustworthy, little trolls with an obsession for profit. I can't stand them in any shape or form
This. In Spades. *grumble" loathsome little backstabbing trolls *grumble*

But in all seriousness (not that I don't hate ferengi but still)... Yeah, they need to fix the ferengi. I think them getting higher selling prices and lower costs are right along canon. Same with mental traits (resisitance to Psi, etc). Also they should get some kind of "cast iron stomach" advantage too because of all the disgusting crap they eat (bloody sickening little hobgoblins...)
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
Awesome how little people care if the problem is not about their fave species.
Well, honestly I don't care about the ferengi but I can see it is important to you and I believe that you might have a point with your issue, sooooo here is a shameless bump for ya.
Closed Thread