Lt. Commander
Can we be rid of unrequested popups during space flight, please?

Often, I'll get a mission update popup, while I'm still fighting, or at the very least trying to fly away from a ship that's about to explode.

Maybe we can have little comic book voice bubbles coming from our boffs in the boff tray, or have a queue of messages that we can acknowledge when we're ready -- in the same place that's already used for *some* messages and options down the right side of the screen?

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-31-2010, 11:20 AM
I don't mind the pop ups. I actually enjoy the amount of instruction provided and prefer the verbose dialogues to just receiving a line or two of instructions.

What I don't like is the timing, which in a way is what you're complaint is about. For example, my tactical officer hits me up with three pages of dialogue on how to proceed with the next important phase of my mission - which includes joining in the epic battle that had started the moment the first dialogue box popped up. Except I'm missing it.. because I'm busy reading the next two pages of script.

That is highly annoying. It is difficult to take the time to read the material that is written when events are unfolding around you (events that are obstructed by the large dialogue box). The timing there is, honestly, crap. I suggest either delaying the events until the final dialogue box is closed, or (in the case of fleet actions) delay the next stage for X number of seconds to give everyone a reasonable amount of time to read through the new mission objective dialogue (and heaven knows some players could certainly benefit from reading those objective dialogues).

Now, some missions operate this way but a lot of them ignore this setup, particularly in fleet actions, but the problem isn't limited to them only. Please consider doing something about this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Yes, the information is good and useful... but it doesn't need to be atop the center of the action. It can wait off to the side, until I'm ready to acknowledge it.

We never saw Riker run up in front of the main viewer and get in Picard's face about the mission... I suspect he'd have been swabbing the torpedo tubes with Wesley!
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_Kakuri
Yes, the information is good and useful... but it doesn't need to be atop the center of the action. It can wait off to the side, until I'm ready to acknowledge it.

We never saw Riker run up in front of the main viewer and get in Picard's face about the mission... I suspect he'd have been swabbing the torpedo tubes with Wesley!
Do you mean that he and Wesley would be swabbing the tubes, or that he'd be using Wesley as a mop to swab the tubes?

I agree with the suggestion to freeze the mission until the dialog box is dismissed or minimized. Exception for DSEs, of course.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-01-2010, 09:35 PM
For the OP... amen, bro!

Pop-ups in combat are the single most intolerable feature of the game for me. To have a bunch of text block your vision the instant you kill a ship... a ship which can badly damage or even destroy you by exploding in your face... is appalling interface design.

Moreover I would LOVE to actually read what the pop up is saying, whereas in reality I am hammering a key to make the damn thing go away as fast as humanly possible before I either get killed by a warp core breach or attacked by a second wave of enemies spawning within gun range but obscured by the damn pop up... all that creative talent put into writing story text which I dare not read because it appears in the middle of the damn fight

Please Cryptic, rethink the UI generally and in particular make "Death-By-Dialogue-Box" a thing of the past
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp_Hazzard
Do you mean that he and Wesley would be swabbing the tubes, or that he'd be using Wesley as a mop to swab the tubes?
either way would be amusing tbh, though if i was Picard i would wait until Wesly was in one of the tubes and then give the order to fire................

i wonder what colour Wesly would glow when fired though, Photons = red, Quantums = white, Wesley = ........
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-02-2010, 10:33 AM
"To have a bunch of text block your vision the instant you kill a ship... is appalling interface design."

I completely agree, which is why this isn't actually supposed to happen.

Your "in-combat" state is supposed to persist for a few seconds after anyone has targeted you, to give time for ships to blow up, etc. before interactions or contact dialogues appear.

Can you give specific examples of maps/missions you're seeing this on, or is it always happening? Do you recall if you were actually in combat (does it still say "Condition Red" at the top of the screen) or were the contact dialogues just appearing too quickly after combat was over?
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UI_Maven
Can you give specific examples of maps/missions you're seeing this on, or is it always happening? Do you recall if you were actually in combat (does it still say "Condition Red" at the top of the screen) or were the contact dialogues just appearing too quickly after combat was over?
I'm afraid I can't give specific examples, but this happens to me all the time. I'll keep an eye out for whether I am still technically in combat when it occurs.

If it helps, I think it happens more often during star cluster missions than storyline missions.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
It happens to me a lot on the klingon explore missions. Mostly when defending a base or whatever. I blow up the ship and instantly get a pop up.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-02-2010, 10:45 AM
As well as having this issue, I also have never seen the "level-up" animation because of the pop up screens.