Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
Tier 2 ground combat has become an exercise in futility for me. I get my ass kicked on such a frequent basis, I have begun avoiding these scenarios all together. Here's the problem I am having.

My stuff got upgraded to all MK IV stuff...weapon, kit, shields, armor. As you know, the remainder of my team can only use MK II items. OK. My enemies, though, all upgrade...weapons and a few with shields...more so than at Tier 1. And their numbers increase.

The Klingons, for example. It isn't unusual to run into a group of 7 instead of 5. It contains 2 Sword-master's with shields, a Targ dude, also with shields, a LT. with shields, and 3 nugs without shields. And now the problem.

I always target a Swordmaster usine a MK IV Sniper Rifle after hitting Optics 2 and a large power cell, large sniper shot followed by the standard shot. It doesn't even drop the shield half way any longer. Also, by the time I get off my two standard shots, not only is he right on top of me, but so is his cousin, blasting away with the dual pistols. Now I don't know what is in those pistols but they rip away my shield like it isn't even there. It doesn't seem to matter if I dodge in any direction or run away. He is always right on me with his cousin right behind. There isn't time to recharge my shields or to heal my wounds.Then with the dual Batleth action, in short order, I am Sushi. Once I go down, the rest of my team joins me in short order.

Time and time again, this happens. I haven't beaten them yet. I have targeted everyone on him to kill him quick...not enough firepower to bring down his shields. Martial Arts...I can get in some good licks, but I am already weakened by the time he gets to me, and there are always 2 on me from the start, often all Klingon weapons target me right away.

I have run into other factions with similar numbers, but they are equipped with the never ending shield. It never fails no matter how many are targeting it. Have to use close combat, but with the shield shredder in his hands, I never even get close.

HELP!!! How do you deal with this situation (I know you face it too)?
At Tier 2, what MK II weapons and shields do you use?
I use energy dampening armor. And you?
What about for your personal weapon?
How about BO Skills?

Any help would be appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
First off, BOff weapon/armor/shield level is based off of your rank, not theirs. If you can use MK IV weapons, so can they.

Second, a better explanation of your setup would help, Does your engineer have a shield heal? Does your scientist have any heals? Are you running all tactical BOffs? Are they using expose or exploit weapons? Do you have points in their ground abilities?

Thirdly, your tactics for going after the Swordsmasters first is sound. If they are B-lining straight for you everytime, have your BOffs go in first get some aggro then you can open up on them. Also, while soloing its pretty useful to use the pause function to micromanage your BOffs if they aren't behaving like they should.

Finaly, for your questions
Quote:
At Tier 2, what MK II weapons and shields do you use?
Should use MK IV, a mix of exploit and expose weapons. Shields don't vary much, regen is what I prefer.
I use energy dampening armor. And you?
Same, but if you are constantly against Swordsmasters get some high physical resist
What about for your personal weapon?
Sniper rifle or Split beam as main, then either a stun pistol or other expose weapon with a knockback
How about BO Skills?
Eng with shield heal, sci with Medical Tricorder, Tacs with Draw fire and stun grenades
Also remember alot of this is my preference, so you may have to adjust your playstyle to use this or change things around. Have fun and good luck.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2010, 09:49 PM
what the guy above me said.

i dont mean to belittle you, but i am just gonna blurt it out short and sweet. just my style, not to `dis you.

also some basic crowd control would help. chroniton mines would be good or gravimetric shift would help. photon grenades on your tacticals are niiice!

have your BOff ground skills leveled. doesnt make them do more damage or last longer, but the cool downs are shorter so they can use them more often.

also, set up before you start. set way points for your BOff's and have them use abilities that dont actively attack. think of it as setting up an ambush.

the swordmasters are nasty, targ handlers will keep spawning targs, so kill them before you kill the targs unless you are being swarmed, weapon masters are a pan as well. whatever target order you use, focus fire. there is a command button near your BOff icons that tells them to attack what u have currently targeted.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
A fool-proof T2 BO setup for you:
2 sci BO with medical tricorder 1+2
1 eng BO with shield recharge 1+2
1 tac BO with leg sweep 1+2
With this setup you can watch your BOs do the job while you do nothing
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLMF
Second, a better explanation of your setup would help, Does your engineer have a shield heal? Does your scientist have any heals? Are you running all tactical BOffs? Are they using expose or exploit weapons? Do you have points in their ground abilities?
Oooops....sorry. Here's what I have:

Ensign EN: Mine Barrier (1), Weapon MK II Disruptor Arcwave Assault (Expose)

Ensign SCI: Tachion Harmonic (1), Weapon MK II Split Beam Phaser (Exploit)

Ensign TAC: Focus Fire (1), Weapon MK II Split Beam Phaser (Explloit)

LT TAC: Focus Fire (1), Leg Sweep II (1), Weapon MK II Arcwave Assault (Expose)

Me: Weapon MK IV Sniper Phaser (Exploit), Secondary Weapon not in use (Martial Arts Kit)

I have focused on space abilities and have all of my points there. All currently at 1 point each.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-06-2010, 12:49 AM
I had trouble with some ground combat also until I learned how to give my BOs orders to stand tight in certain places. They help buffer me some, and I post my healer so she can heal everyone with no running around. Use the arrows on the side of your BOs to make them stand where you want them.. release them as needed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-06-2010, 12:59 AM
I've created a database that shows ground abilities and the skills you need to support them.

Link is in the signature.

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-06-2010, 02:27 AM
Your Bo's can use the same mk weapons as your self. the "commander" status in the tool tip pertains to your self only. so your bo's can use the mk iv weapons. and make sure you have your bo's target the same mob. having them firing at separate enemy's is fruitless. If you don't know how to make your bo's all target one enemy, above the party frame there are some buttons, one of them is a circle, it looks lie a cross-hair. use that every time you target one of the harder enemy's ie the sword master. if you have anymore questions you can pm me.

Captain Boxx
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by champion1701 View Post
Your Bo's can use the same mk weapons as your self. the "commander" status in the tool tip pertains to your self only. so your bo's can use the mk iv weapons. and make sure you have your bo's target the same mob. having them firing at separate enemy's is fruitless. If you don't know how to make your bo's all target one enemy, above the party frame there are some buttons, one of them is a circle, it looks lie a cross-hair. use that every time you target one of the harder enemy's ie the sword master. if you have anymore questions you can pm me.

Captain Boxx
Great stuff to you and the others.

I discovered by accident my BO's could use MK IV items. I've been going in two MK's below my opponents. I have fixed that situation.

I am going to have to experiment with the controls on the face things. I don't know how to use them, but I know pressing Y focuses everyone on the same target.

Thanks Guys.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Might I suggest using a pair of Engineering BO's with Phaser Turrets.

The added firepower of those turrets really comes in handy.

And then a science BO.

And then whatever you like. (Though I'll admit that 3 ENGI, 1 Sci, tends to rip through things with quite a lot of haste).

Also remember to focus fire. And use tribbles. And take advantage of rally points and your ability to basically control the flow of combat. This is helpful with the tougher guys like Klingon swordmasters. And good practice for later when you face the Reman dooders and Cardassians that summon friends.