Lt. Commander
# 11
07-27-2010, 04:51 PM
The Klingon Empire destroyed all gods.

With fire and steel did the gods forge the Klingon heart. So fiercely did it beat, so loud was the sound, that the gods cried out, 'On this day we have brought forth the strongest heart in all the heavens. None can stand before it without trembling at its strength.' But then the Klingon heart weakened, its steady rhythm faltered and the gods said, 'Why do you weaken so? We have made you the strongest in all of creation.'

And the heart said... 'I am alone.'

And the gods knew that they had erred. So they went back to their forge and brought forth another heart.

But the second heart beat stronger than the first, and the first was jealous of its power. Fortunately, the second heart was tempered by wisdom.

'If we join together, no force can stop us.'

And when the two hearts began to beat together, they filled the heavens with a terrible sound. For the first time, the gods knew fear. They tried to flee, but it was too late. The Klingon hearts destroyed the gods who created them and turned the heavens to ashes.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
I would like to toss this out there, a slight theological debate.

Given STO's penchant for death, destruction and kill kill kill, I would surmise that it would be illogical to look for a Christian fleet in STO.

A Christian fleet could not function in the game, as they would not be able to level. To level would require one to break the 6th Commandment, "Thou Shall Not Kill."

Sorry, I couldn't help it. In all seriousness, I hope you find what you are looking for!

Peace and Long Life.
The more proper translation is usually considered to be "do not murder," which is not the same thing as "kill." Regardless, there's plenty of stuff the Federation is in the habit of doing that wouldn't likely fall under the banner of Christianity. For my part it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game, but there are quests I choose not to do (they are pretty much the same quests quite a few other people choose not to do because they're out of character even for Starfleet.)
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
I would like to toss this out there, a slight theological debate.

Given STO's penchant for death, destruction and kill kill kill, I would surmise that it would be illogical to look for a Christian fleet in STO.

A Christian fleet could not function in the game, as they would not be able to level. To level would require one to break the 6th Commandment, "Thou Shall Not Kill."

Sorry, I couldn't help it. In all seriousness, I hope you find what you are looking for!

Peace and Long Life.
Here is one view of Christians in the military from a Biblical view. I am always up for a civil debate and appriciate your point. Oh by the way we now have the Diplomatic Corps.
http://www.teamtruth.com/articles/ar...christians.htm
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Over on the Unrepentant forums, we had a minor discussion about this thread. All very civil mind you -

Would like to point out one *teeny* detail you ***MAY*** wish to consider. And this being given ONLY as a friendly thought.

Especially if you are going to engage in any sort of PvP, you may not wish to have overt names referring to your faith, Christianity and the like. I personally do not care if you fly about in USS HeDiedOnTheCrossForMe, it is your ship name, choose as you like. (Although that is way to long, and not terribly imaginative) but you are likely to get targeted by some of the, shall we say, less mature people on here?

(Sees Lex, I *can* actually be politically correct at times!)

These are the ones that for whatever reason feel the need to send insulting tells for no reason, or just generally make an a** of themselves. (Sorry, my PC abilities were on cool down)
You would just become a focal point quite often, and may ruin the fun of the game for you.

Again - whatever you choose to do, up to you here - but least this way, you have a heads-up.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-28-2010, 01:35 PM
And technicality "Religion" is very rare in the 25th Century, any earth religion like Christianity has been all but abolished,

Mankind has evolved to a better sensibility - Captain Picard

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Human_religion
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStoney View Post
Over on the Unrepentant forums, we had a minor discussion about this thread. All very civil mind you -

Would like to point out one *teeny* detail you ***MAY*** wish to consider. And this being given ONLY as a friendly thought.

Especially if you are going to engage in any sort of PvP, you may not wish to have overt names referring to your faith, Christianity and the like. I personally do not care if you fly about in USS HeDiedOnTheCrossForMe, it is your ship name, choose as you like. (Although that is way to long, and not terribly imaginative) but you are likely to get targeted by some of the, shall we say, less mature people on here?

(Sees Lex, I *can* actually be politically correct at times!)

These are the ones that for whatever reason feel the need to send insulting tells for no reason, or just generally make an a** of themselves. (Sorry, my PC abilities were on cool down)
You would just become a focal point quite often, and may ruin the fun of the game for you.

Again - whatever you choose to do, up to you here - but least this way, you have a heads-up.
Thanks for the input, you bring up an interesting point I did not think of. (by that way I love the name of that ship)

I for one would not envision any overt Christian ship names because, if this were reality, starfleet would be naming the ships not the captains. My vision is mainly for RP purposes amongst the fleet. It is clear that the developers don't want people creating political and religous firestorms. That would only serve to ruin the game for many involved.

Thanks again for your concern about enjoying the game, becasuse that's the purpose of a game, yes?
Lt. Commander
# 17 May Also Be Interested
07-28-2010, 07:44 PM
I am looking for a active fleet to join that is all about having fun playing star trek online,respects all of its members,does not use swear worlds or takes the lords name in vain. It also would be great if the fleet is as mentioned just out to help all of its members out when needed and not have each member be required to take any tests. And have promotions be offered in the fleet for mabye how long each member is active within the fleet. And as an added bonus a fleet that has its own website,guild bank and voice chat server for those who want to use it? Will you be having a fleet website in the near future with a forum board and other cool features, a fleet bank and other really cool stuff to make fleet members stand out for their characters while playing the game?
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by champion1701 View Post
And technicality "Religion" is very rare in the 25th Century, any earth religion like Christianity has been all but abolished,

Mankind has evolved to a better sensibility - Captain Picard

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Human_religion
Thanks for the info Champion1701. By the amount of people looking to start up this fleet it seems that it (Religion) is very rare here also , but that is ok. As the saying goes..."They don't know what they're missing"
Lt. Commander
# 19 My Thoughts
07-28-2010, 08:19 PM
I would really like to see alot of people want to get this fleet up and running and is more about a place where all chriatians can get together and enjoy playing the game and treat each other with respect. I have been in a guild in world or ******** that sounds alot like what we want to have in star trek online.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-Hill
Thanks for the info Champion1701. By the amount of people looking to start up this fleet it seems that it (Religion) is very rare here also , but that is ok. As the saying goes..."They don't know what they're missing"
What do you expect? Star Trek has preached atheism from its inception.
Closed Thread