Lt. Commander
With my tactical officer character, I've found that a key ground ability to use is Focus Fire, as it sends my dps through the roof whenever it's on. So I figured, hey, maybe if I set up a tac BO the same way, I can get even MORE crazy dps out of the deal? The good news is that the BO skill is just as effective as the kit skill, AND they stack.

The bad news? Well, even though the skill has a 9 second duration with a 9 second cool down, my BO isn't smart enough to keep that sucker always on like he should. Also, oftentimes he'll trigger the skill, and then not bother to actually fire on anyone, thus depriving me of the extra debuffing that I crave.

I understand that BO's fire their weapons slower than players, because otherwise, yeah, they would be too powerful. What I'm wondering is, can I speed up their fire rate by giving them, say a compression pistol, which has a generally better fire rate, and also a shorter cool down on its special attack? That way I can get more chances for them to apply the Focus Fire debuff, and maybe throw out a few more exploit moves than they normally would.

Or does a BO's rate of fire exist independently from the weapon they are using? Compression pistol or split-beam, are they still only going to pull the trigger once every five seconds (or however long it is)?

OR, all my theorycrafting aside, can anyone recommend a good skill selection for tac BO's? I haven't really found anything yet that seems to make them any more effective than other BO types at dealing damage.

Sorry about the text wall there. I hope my questions made sense to someone.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Bueller?

Okay, maybe a shorter version will get some responses.

1. Do weapons with various fire rates influence the attack speed of your BO's, or will they fire all weapons equally slow?

2. I'm interested in any and all suggestions for Tac BO skill selection. Tac players are great, but their BO counterparts seem lackluster in their performance. Is there any way to improve their usefulness?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-05-2010, 07:49 PM
I found the best way to get the most out of my tac BO is to keep an eye on IF he is using his abilities.

When he uses them, it gives my away team the ability to punch a group down quickly on advanced. If he doesn't then it takes a while.

If you BO is not using his abilities in a timely manner, hit the power you want him to use to activate it. I find doing it manually like this sometimes is a good idea otherwise he is dead weight.

For my Tac BO:
Photon Grenade
Plasma Grenade
Focus Fire

I like the nades for the KB/DOT effect. Focus fire to add DPS on a target for my turrets to take advantage of.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-05-2010, 09:00 PM
I see a lot of tac people equip their tac officers with plasma grenades.

I don't think the AI is smart enough to really support this strategy. Plasma fires from the grenades burn enemies and allies. And the AI is stupid enough to get itself burned too much.

Anyways, back on topic ... Dual pistols fire fast. You want to test out fire rates with your BOs, pick up a pair of dual pistols. And see if they make a difference.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I see a lot of tac people equip their tac officers with plasma grenades.

I don't think the AI is smart enough to really support this strategy. Plasma fires from the grenades burn enemies and allies. And the AI is stupid enough to get itself burned too much.

Anyways, back on topic ... Dual pistols fire fast. You want to test out fire rates with your BOs, pick up a pair of dual pistols. And see if they make a difference.
your Boff won't throw the grenade if the plasma would splash onto your team. They no longer throw point blank.

additionally, if they throw it as the enemy is walking towards your team, they will get splashed once, and if you knock the enemy back they will tend to not want to go into the plasma fire - powerful against borg.

Oh, and get the polaron dual pistols mk 8 with the [dot3] mod from the quest. the aoe dot stacks, and combined with other dots and aoes can really destroy a group even on elite. I bring 2 for my officers.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-06-2010, 03:01 AM
First thing I do is take away grenades and replace them with skills that can't harm me or the other BOs. Usually Draw Fire, Surpressing Fire... I tried the martial arts stuff but the BO barely ever uses Leg Sweep or Lunge, so I didn't bother anymore.
Dual pistols are great; they expose more than most other weapons and fire faster.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
your Boff won't throw the grenade if the plasma would splash onto your team. They no longer throw point blank.

additionally, if they throw it as the enemy is walking towards your team, they will get splashed once, and if you knock the enemy back they will tend to not want to go into the plasma fire - powerful against borg.

Oh, and get the polaron dual pistols mk 8 with the [dot3] mod from the quest. the aoe dot stacks, and combined with other dots and aoes can really destroy a group even on elite. I bring 2 for my officers.
BOFFs still make the tactically unsound decision to run into the flames after they're there.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
BOFFs still make the tactically unsound decision to run into the flames after they're there.
not if you flag them down, and they won't go into a fire if they can walk around it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-07-2010, 05:25 AM
Full Auto Polaron seems to cause a lot of weapon malfunctions, which saves you some pain. I usually have two BOs with Sniper rifles and two with full autos.

I'm not totally sure if mixing energy tyoes helps against the Borg.

Grenades seem too slow to provide good DPS. Suppressing fire seems to work well.

And 6 phaser turrets plus 3 drones helps