Lt. Commander
# 21
05-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voivod123 View Post
I was really looking forward to the Pakled. But after visiting the c-store, I see that the guys don't look like the Pakled at all. The Paklet are fat, heavy built guys!

Perhaps there is a possibility to make them a little more massive using the character generator, but all I can say that as a fan of this species, I was hoping for more, especially a really new character model, not just a new "head".

Or am I foaming for no reason and the guys are more Pakled-like in game? Sorry, I won't waste my cp just for trying this out...
you can see them walking around as npcs in the sol starbase, that's what they look like in game >_>;
look for the hair dwarfs =/ (unless i'm thinking of the wrong species)
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith_Snipe
I love how everyone that quotes canon always convienently forgets that Cryptic can't put anything into the game without first getting approval from CBS/Paramount. You know the guys that actually own Star Trek and decide what is canon and what isn't. The same people that yanked the liscence on the FASA ST:RPG when they decided to retcon the pre-existing Star Trek lore just before they released the ST:TNG show.

If something doesn't match your idea of what canon should be put the blame where it really belongs on CBS/Paramount.
So CBS/Paramount is responsible that the Pakled in the game do not resemble the Pakled in the series very much? I see no reason because they should't tolerate the "real" Paklets in the game.

My theory is that Cryptic was just too lazy to implement the Paklet properly, because it would have been some extra work. See, I play this game because I am a huge Star Trek fan, not a fanatic MMORPG-Player or even a big gamer in general. I like visiting places in my beloved Trek universe, and meet and play the races I love. And as a fan, I want my universe more or less resembling the series. This includes the look of the races.

I know the Paklet are not much of a factor in this game. However, as a Trekkie, I'm still dissapointed. Because it's the details which make us Trekkies happy.

As another poster in this thread said: "Why not just make them fat"? This guys were always shown as big, and explanations like "you know, they all went through Starfleet training", etc... are ridiculous, IMO. What's the point of implementing them in the game at all then? Nobody who liked the Paklet in the series because they were so "special" will like them in the game or even play them. Now they are just one of the many races with slightly different character traits. They all look the same from behind, which is ok, because this is the way it works in the Trekverse. But I hoped that the Pakled would be an exception to this rule, just like the Tellarite and the Ferengi.

Edit: No, I'm not a basher, and I love this game. Even though it's not very "trekkish" in many aspects. On my "home bbs", I defend this game against many Trek fans who consider it a complete failure and hate it with passion. The thing is, I REALLY, REALLY wanted to play a cool, a little bit dumb, chubby Paklet, and what I'm getting is a human with some weird eyebrows...
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
you can see them walking around as npcs in the sol starbase, that's what they look like in game >_>;
look for the hair dwarfs =/ (unless i'm thinking of the wrong species)
You're thinking of the Tellarites. My second char is a Tellarite!
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The Pakled on the Mondor were using their weight as part of their deception.

The Pakled that get accepted to Starfleet Academy have to be a tad more svelte just to pass the physical fitness requirements of starfleet.
How do you account for the ones seen in DS9?
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post
How do you account for the ones seen in DS9?
This!

Get it: The Pakled are fat by nature. Its absolutely ok for them to be fat! Ever seen a slim walruss?
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-01-2010, 03:44 PM
In 2399 the Pakled homeworld was conquered by the Dojominion and all Pakleds were put on a diet and fitness program by their dreaded footsoldiers, the Gym'hadar.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
In 2399 the Pakled homeworld was conquered by the Dojominion and all Pakleds were put on a diet and fitness program by their dreaded footsoldiers, the Gym'hadar.
Puns are sooooo iffy, but that one made me chuckle. Kudos to you.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-01-2010, 03:54 PM
What's really bothersome is Pakleds were a doubious choice of race to begin with . Now that they put them in you still can't really play as a Pakled. Their size is part of what makes them unique. Like the Zakdorn. They are some of the few races from Star Trek that didn't just have facial makeup.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm partial to the suggestion one person had of having a dropdown in the body selections for a rescaled bodytype. And I wouldn't limit that to Pakleds as we have examples of everything from Scotty to Pakleds to Tamarians of a huskier body type... and this type of thing might lend itself to Unknown aliens with Caitian legs, wings and other features that some exotic Trek species have that would require a modified core bodytype.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf359
Heh...I wrote a ton of the content on that Ferengi page at Memory-Alpha. I agree that the Traits need looking at. Psychic resistance should be on there.
Oh please, join my lonesome mission to correct Ferengi:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=154241

I do play a male Orion and I would like more clothing options for him. I don't get the fuzz about green women in skimpy bikinis, I simply like to play corrupt traders and pirates. So, I also made a Nausicaan - they are one of my fave minor species along with Letheans, Lissepians, Flaxians and Hypurians - but hello, dreadlocks? The look of the Nausicaans in game is totally off, they look like a weird mix of all versions shown in different series (including the green holographic Nausicaan from Voyager) and its impossible to settle for any because there are parts missing left and right.

Its not that all Star Trek fans prefer the major species only and give a damn about the rest. So we have Tellarites and Pakleds, both with nice and creative traits (unlike Ferengi, in case I haven't made my annoying point yet) but the common issue that they can't look like we know them from the shows. It could easily be fixed with a belly/torso width slider, or a simple selection of overall body types "muscular/athletic", "slim/average", "skinny", "fat". Its not too much to ask for.