Lt. Commander
I was recently playing STO for about 2 hours a week. Never got into it. Until I joined a fleet and was a lot more social. Then I figuired, I might as well read the mission text. So I did the episode missions and let me tell you, they were great. The story line fits right with it and the text from the missions were great. I finally stuck to a character and now im a ltc 3 (i know not that high but for me it was). All I am trying to say is, have fun while leveling. Don't always say, I need to gett RA5 now!. The missions at the end will be waiting for, just have fun.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdabson
I was recently playing STO for about 2 hours a week. Never got into it. Until I joined a fleet and was a lot more social. Then I figuired, I might as well read the mission text. So I did the episode missions and let me tell you, they were great. The story line fits right with it and the text from the missions were great. I finally stuck to a character and now im a ltc 3 (i know not that high but for me it was). All I am trying to say is, have fun while leveling. Don't always say, I need to gett RA5 now!. The missions at the end will be waiting for, just have fun.
glad you decided to stick with it, I guess

although personally I read all the mission text while levelling up anyway
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
glad you decided to stick with it, I guess

although personally I read all the mission text while levelling up anyway
I just recently thought about doing, used to play wow and i NEVER read it. But in this game, its very exciting.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Quote:
It's great that you find it more engrossing now that you read the text. However you are still doing exactly the same thing as before. Again. And again.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Quote:
I think the content (missions) that are in game a very good apart form a few. I enjoyed getting to RA5. The problem is there is only about 5% of these missions as they should be. We shouldnt have almsot everyone who as brought the game at RA5 in 2 months.Glad you stuck with it though
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Well last night I did the one where you go back in time with the enterprise and that one was quite amazing,
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
It's great that you find it more engrossing now that you read the text. However you are still doing exactly the same thing as before. Again. And again.
that is the nature of mmo's . come to think about it, its the nature of every game ever made.

its often the small details that make it interesting. i enjoyed the mission text and they certainly add to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
that is the nature of mmo's . come to think about it, its the nature of every game ever made.

its often the small details that make it interesting. i enjoyed the mission text and they certainly add to the game.
I agree, yet in other games they manage to vary the environment, the enemy and the specifics of what you have to do in order to complete the task ( and you can manage many tasks concurrently ). At least that removes the impression of repetitive grind and avoids the same tedium.

Unfortunately for me this game is the same 3 missions from day one. No amount of text ( and let's face it, the story-writing is hardly engrossing, it's just a few lines of lip-service to a weak story ) is going to take away the fact that I'm repeating the same thing in the same empty environment.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
reading a book is the same way, you're still reading from left to right, left to right, flip the page, reading from left to right, left to right, flip the page.... how is it a book can be so engrossing with such basic repeatidty, while in sto it's boring even though you can do more things and it's more visually stimulating, instead of "this, and or he the etc etc" you have a 3d starship that shoots lazers and cannons and has a rocket engine that you can see moving around and blowing stuff up >_>;
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo

Most MMOs however provide new content for it's player base to mitigate this. It isn't perfect, but they try.
All we've seen in STO so far is fluff (some of it is good fluff, yes. But fluff is still fluff) and STFs that half of us don't like and won't play.