Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
05-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
reading a book is the same way, you're still reading from left to right, left to right, flip the page, reading from left to right, left to right, flip the page.... how is it a book can be so engrossing with such basic repeatidty, while in sto it's boring even though you can do more things and it's more visually stimulating, instead of "this, and or he the etc etc" you have a 3d starship that shoots lazers and cannons and has a rocket engine that you can see moving around and blowing stuff up >_>;

but reading a book is not playing an mmo where you apparently

Quote:
Explore strange new worlds and seek out new life and new civilizations in a vast, expanding universe.

Establish contact with new races, discover resources and uncover mysteries that will influence Star Trek's future. Set in 2409, Star Trek Online exists in a timeframe beyond even the latest movies, so everything you experience will be brand new, but still based on all the fiction you love
.
let's not be disingenuous here by comparing apples and oranges.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
05-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
Most MMOs however provide new content for it's player base to mitigate this. It isn't perfect, but they try.
All we've seen in STO so far is fluff (some of it is good fluff, yes. But fluff is still fluff) and STFs that half of us don't like and won't play.
be greatful for the fluff, there really i only 5-10 guys still working on the project, everybody else moved on to different projects, it takes alot of effort to make a patch once a month for a game this big when you're only 10 guys..... they could if they wanted to not give you anything at all for 3 months while they take the time and make all the big huge updates everybody wants, like more content, higher levels, more content, etc etc etc. but then you'd be fluff less for 3 months and would probably leave before the huge update came out.

where as atleast with the fluff they're getting stuff out there in baby steps and small batches, so there is new content each month to keep us interested while they piece together the bigger stuff.

i mean, what would you prefer, fluff now and at regular intervals until there is enough fluff to make a pillow...
or waiting for atleast a few months and then just being given a pillow.....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
05-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
but reading a book is not playing an mmo where you apparently



let's not be disingenuous here by comparing apples and oranges.
i explored new worlds when i read the dark tower series =/ and homer takes me to ancient greece on a daily basis, it just required more imagination and less visual stimulate >_>
it's not so much comparing apples and oranges as it is comparing red and green apples... one is just more visually stimulating then the other, they both have the same basic princples videogames are just a more advanced version of imagination that have more visual stimulation, they still require a little bit of imagination to make the game enjoyable.

in any case, trying to complain about the game sucking due to repeatativity but failing to enjoy the plot line is like just flipping pages of a book but not reading it... and just like a book, if you don't like it, go get a different book... simple as that =/
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
05-01-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm not saying no fluff. I'm saying I want some actual content to go with it.
And hey if that means less STFs, so be it. To hell with STFs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
05-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
be greatful for the fluff, there really i only 5-10 guys still working on the project, everybody else moved on to different projects, it takes alot of effort to make a patch once a month for a game this big when you're only 10 guys..... they could if they wanted to not give you anything at all for 3 months while they take the time and make all the big huge updates everybody wants, like more content, higher levels, more content, etc etc etc. but then you'd be fluff less for 3 months and would probably leave before the huge update came out.

where as atleast with the fluff they're getting stuff out there in baby steps and small batches, so there is new content each month to keep us interested while they piece together the bigger stuff.

i mean, what would you prefer, fluff now and at regular intervals until there is enough fluff to make a pillow...
or waiting for atleast a few months and then just being given a pillow.....
Are you saying that there are 5-10 people working on STO now? That's interesting. Opening team was 50, which was increased later. I'm interested to know where your insight comes from.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
05-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Well Cryptic is notorious for moving on to the next shiny once the last one has been released and they're now bored with it..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
05-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
Are you saying that there are 5-10 people working on STO now? That's interesting. Opening team was 50, which was increased later. I'm interested to know where your insight comes from.
it was a largely exagerated number, but i do know that after the games release atleast 50% of the team moved on to other things as stated by the gms/devs in various interviews and Q&As.... also not "EVERYBODY" on the sto team is there for game content creation, some are moderators, and some are gms, and some are there to do the paperwork so the devs have more time to do things and not get bogged down with paperwork >_>
so if you divide it up it doesn't equal as many people as you think it does =/
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
05-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
Well Cryptic is notorious for moving on to the next shiny once the last one has been released and they're now bored with it..
The only project they can move to is the next mmo that is planned.
However there are some problems with that. Industry buzz is that it's Neverwinter NIghts ( along with Baldur's Gate it's the only property Atari have rights to and talk is that bioware are somehow going to get BG ) based upon this very same engine.
But Atari are being sued by Hasbro in an action that will likely see them lose the D&D rights license (something they could have avoided, Wizards and Hasbro tried to take it to the table but as Atari have no cash I guess a deal could not be done ) then they will never again be able to produce a game based in either NWN or BG as both are in the forgotten realms D&D universe.
There is nothing else in Cryptic's books as far as I know.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
05-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
The only project they can move to is the next mmo that is planned.
However there are some problems with that. Industry buzz is that it's Neverwinter NIghts ( along with Baldur's Gate it's the only property Atari have rights to and talk is that bioware are somehow going to get BG ) based upon this very same engine.
But Atari are being sued by Hasbro in an action that will likely see them lose the D&D rights license (something they could have avoided, Wizards and Hasbro tried to take it to the table but as Atari have no cash I guess a deal could not be done ) then they will never again be able to produce a game based in either NWN or BG as both are in the forgotten realms D&D universe.
There is nothing else in Cryptic's books as far as I know.
cryptic and atari are 2 different companys, just happened that cryptic was contracted by atari to make sto =/
honestly it could be anything that they moved onto, maybe they went back to creating "going rogue" or "guild wars 2" or a new yet unannounced exspansion for "aeon" there are alot of projects on the go the cryptic could be doing. >_>
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
05-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
cryptic and atari are 2 different companys, just happened that cryptic was contracted by atari to make sto =/
honestly it could be anything that they moved onto, maybe they went back to creating "going rogue" or "guild wars 2" or a new yet unannounced exspansion for "aeon" there are alot of projects on the go the cryptic could be doing. >_>

Are you serious? Cryptic are a wholly owned subsidiary of Atari SA. They were bought last year for an initial deal of $20 odd million dollars which can rise to $75M if all bonus' are triggered.
Cryptic are no longer a separate entity. They are the in-house development team for Atari.


There is , in reality, no more Cryptic. It's just a department of Atari SA.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:59 AM.