Lt. Commander
# 21
05-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terral
Alcubierre drive can't really work unfortunately. We'd have to find someone else's universe and steal all of the energy from it to make one, and some interpretations of it have come to the conclusion that to make an Alcubierre drive, you need to already have an Alcubierre drive. Catch-22.

So, unless an Alcubierre drive formed naturally somewhere in the universe, odds are we can't use it. And even if we do, it still needs an entire universe's worth of energy to get going.
Hawking is the only person to have ever played himself on Star Trek, appearing as a hologram of himself in TNG: "Descent". When Hawking was taken on a tour of the engineering set, he indicated the warp core and said, "I'm working on that.

source

the real theory was meant as a joke because Hawking said he was working on it, and he was beaten to the theory of the warp drive.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
Hawking is the only person to have ever played himself on Star Trek, appearing as a hologram of himself in TNG: "Descent".
He also played himself on Futurama in "Anthology of Interest I" as one of the Vice Presidential Action Rangers.
Nichelle Nichols played herself in the same episode.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
Hawking is a brilliant man but he can also be a bit of a twit at times.
For one thing, any alien race seeking to conquer would be actively looking for viable planets and would home in on the transmissions we've been blasting out since the early 20th century.
It won't mean jack if we contact them or not.

Also an alien race advanced enough to travel the stars may not be as amoral as European imperialists of the 15th century. With greater technological advancement comes greater morality - our present day societies are the most free and most moral we've ever had. It's not perfect but it's better than what came before.
I guess you dont live in certain African countries or in Iran and Iraq/Afgahnistan. Technology sometimes only increases the rate we can kill things we dont like.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray10 View Post
I guess you dont live in certain African countries or in Iran and Iraq/Afgahnistan. Technology sometimes only increases the rate we can kill things we dont like.
In general, I'd say that's what happens when you get technology you didn't develop. Same thing happened with Europeans and gunpowder. I always saw that as the root idea behind the Prime Directive.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Hawking is the only person to have ever played himself on Star Trek, appearing as a hologram of himself in TNG: "Descent". When Hawking was taken on a tour of the engineering set, he indicated the warp core and said, "I'm working on that.

source

the real theory was meant as a joke because Hawking said he was working on it, and he was beaten to the theory of the warp drive.
I'm familiar with that story (It's one of my favorites to spout to the fellow physics majors). I think we all, Hawking included, want to believe we can have something like a warp drive to make it possible to explore in a human time frame. Unfortunately, alcubierre drive isn't that answer; in the end, it's just an interesting theoretical physics problem.

Also gotta watch out stealing entire universes' worth of energy. The natives might not like that very much.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terral

Also gotta watch out stealing entire universes' worth of energy. The natives might not like that very much.
what are they going to do about it? they won't have any power. :p
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Quote:
You heard me right. STO, and Star Trek are coming to end. the end is near, and we can all thank Steven Hawking for it.

Now you are wondering why I am saying this. well this all comes from news that broke out about a week ago.
( i know it's late so to bad. )
The title is "Don't talk to aliens", one of the names of the many articles on this topic. In the report it states that Stephen Hawking believes that aliens do exist in this universe.

"The universe, he points out, has 100 billion galaxies, each containing hundreds of millions of stars. In such a big place, Earth is unlikely to be the only planet where life has evolved"

he goes on to state that most of the life will be microbes, to small animals. But some of the life mite be intelligent, and instead of reaching out, we should hide, and fear them.

“We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach.”

"It would be to big of a risk" he goes on to say, but you are wondering. "well what does this have to do with star trek?"

well you see, I ( unlike hawking ) Had hopes for the future. someday, if we don't kill ourselves, we could be out in the stars, just like the television show we all love. Now were going to be scared to contact other life. Instead of seeking out new life, and new civilizations. we will be building defenses, and hiding in our part of the galaxy.

But do you blame them. this is Steven Hawking we are talking about. he is one of the most intelligent minds of our time. if he says we are in danger, he must be right. right?

it just saddens me to think that instead of

THIS

we will get

THIS.

On the other hand, Hawking, who is a star trek fan, could just be mad because Miguel Alcubierre beat him to the theory that makes warp drives work. As to why hawking would come out now instead of when it theory came out is beyond me.

Well I hope you enjoyed this news article, and if you posted about me being a DOOM POSTER, that just means that you did not read and you are one of these.

To read more CHECK OUT THIS PAGE, or Google search "Hawking alien life"

And don't forget to check out Stephen Hawking's Universe May 9th on the discovery channel

( all views written here are for comedy, I am really not worried about first contact or anything of the sort, thanks for reading zodi )
If anything, humans should be more afraid of themselves instead of the aliens. With each passing day, the human race reaches an all new low. At the rate we are going, they won't even have to press a button. LOL
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
In general, I'd say that's what happens when you get technology you didn't develop. Same thing happened with Europeans and gunpowder. I always saw that as the root idea behind the Prime Directive.
Uhmm...the Chinese were actually pretty good with using gunpowder for destructive purposes before the Europeans got hold of it, so that kind of blows that theory out of the water.

Muslim society in the Middle Ages was NOT the Muslim society we see today, it was in fact a highly enlightened and moralistic society, where women were NOT chattel, people were not persecuted due to race or religon, and they actually kept most of the knowledge already acquired in the Western world alive during the European Dark Ages, and they even got around to inventing quite a bit of it in their spare time, little things like Algebra, the numeral system we STILL use today, and other little things along those lines. It's not technology that determines morality, not even close. Otherwise the Europeans who explored and conquered the world a few hundred years later would have been extremely kind and would have tolerated all the differences they encountered instead of, you know, conquering everyone, since they were actually more technologically advanced then the Muslims of a few hundred years previous.

Technology is a tool, nothing more and nothing less, trying to give it powers of determining morals and ethics is rather silly. A sword is just a piece of metal, it has no moral stance, has no ethics, is neither good nor bad, it's the human being holding that piece of metal that makes the difference. Swap sword for gun, car, nuclear reactor, whatever technology you want to use, it works the same way. The atomic bomb was a GOOD tool in the hands of the USA but an EVIL tool in the hands of the USSR(and vice versa) during the Cold War years, remember?
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Technology needs fresh ideas. Industry needs exploitable resource. Technology won't propel conflict, but industry needs fuel and someones neighborhood is going to be in the way.
Lt. Commander
I love star trek, and I honestly don't think aliens exist.

Star trek started out as a science fictional way to discuss life and controversial issues. It was the first TV show to air an interracial kiss, and addressed issues such as prejudice, greed, and overall humanity. I have found this is the root of all great classic science fiction.

What Stephen Hawking thinks about aliens has nothing to do with real life issues, or the extent of our imaginations. Play on, and have fun!

- Faroutbry

USS Flint