Lt. Commander
# 1 Difficulty?
05-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Could we get an intermediate difficulty level? I'm all for trying out the injury system, but the power of the enemies on advanced is rather obnoxious.

I just had to drop a mission because I couldn't bring down even one klingon npc. I used Tricorder Scan, and clicked Tachyon Harmonic. Before it finished animating, my whole team was dead and I was nearly there. One shot from a disruptor pistol and my shield was wiped out and my health dropped to around 20%. Meanwhile, I hit one of them (a Targ Handler), with an Exploit attack, and it drops his shield to 3/4, doing no real harm. Obnoxious.

I hate to think what Elite level must be like.

Now, I'm not saying I want it made easier. I'm sure there are people that like it that way. I'm just suggesting an intermediate level that has the Normal difficulty but that includes the injury system.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Ideally it would be cool if that added that for you (by "you" i mean folks like you, as i am sure others would love that), but i doubt it simply because they won't want to add a bunch new settings for everyone's taste. Can't fault the Devs for that.

On the flip side, one thing you can do is hook up with another advanced player and play through with him. Heck, feel free to look me up. I play on Elite, but i can show you tips and strategies that will not only make you survive, but also i think taking you experience to another level of fun with the ground combat.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-01-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure I would, honestly, but that's because of who I am. One of the most infuriating things any game can do is CHEAT. One of the main reasons I stopped playing CoH was because of the blatant discrepancy between NPC villains and player heroes.

I expect foes that are normal (ie they're just people using the same technology as me), such as Klingons, Romulans and so on (eg not the Borg, who are supposed to be unusual) to function as I do. That means their shields, health and weapons should operate the same as mine do.

For example, even on Normal, it irritates me to no end to see a Klingon Swordsman with a 2000+ point shield and 2000 health using a Batlhetlh that does 200-300 per hit, becuase it's SO far beyond what my character can do (with the best shield I can get being around 400 points, me with around 700 health and my weapons doing around 20-30 damage...) that it has to be considered cheating.

Thus, no matter what tactics and strategies you might suggest, I'm likely to remain irritated by the game cheating. My own issue, but I'm sure I'm not alone.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-01-2010, 08:06 PM
I get that, but then the issue is far beyond Advanced being too tough for ya, but rather the game mechanics themselves. Not much i can do to help there, Though i will say that it is nice to beat a group of "Cheating" NPCs with some real tactics. It makes one feel accomplished in a gamer sort of way.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Indeed, and I'm not denouncing that. If you enjoy it, that's great. I'd just like to see a level that uses the injury/damage system without actually modifying the Normal difficulty.

Thus, it would be Normal - (Moderate) - Advanced - Elite.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Indeed, and I'm not denouncing that. If you enjoy it, that's great. I'd just like to see a level that uses the injury/damage system without actually modifying the Normal difficulty.

Thus, it would be Normal - (Moderate) - Advanced - Elite.
yep.. this is what happens when cryptic listens to a vocal minority and removes the injury system from Normal.

you know, I bet you all my energy credits that these whiners are playing on Advanced/Elite RIGHT NOW and are suffering the death penalty.. and they cried so hard to have it removed from normal.

Lt. Commander
# 7
05-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Could we get an intermediate difficulty level? I'm all for trying out the injury system, but the power of the enemies on advanced is rather obnoxious.
Actually, I'm all for them adding an "easy" setting, and making it exactly the same as "normal" currently is. Then they can just turn the injury system back on for normal mode, and everyone who wants the option of playing without a death penalty can switch their settings to easy-mode instead.

They can even lower the drop rate and quality of loot on the easy-mode setting to balance things out in the other direction.

Thoughts?

Lt. Commander
# 8
05-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
Actually, I'm all for them adding an "easy" setting, and making it exactly the same as "normal" currently is. Then they can just turn the injury system back on for normal mode, and everyone who wants the option of playing without a death penalty can switch their settings to easy-mode instead.

They can even lower the drop rate and quality of loot on the easy-mode setting to balance things out in the other direction.

Thoughts?

yes! hehe
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-01-2010, 11:43 PM
That's the same as what I'm suggesting, just different nomenclature.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Shhh, don't ruin it!