Lt. Commander
My question is targeted solely for PVP-usage... It doesn't matter to me how effective these skills are in a PVE environment.

My Science Captain flies a Science Vessel; she's Commander rank right now. I solely heal on her during PVP matches and damage is no concern of mine. That said, I do attack enemies (obviously) to wear down their shields so it's easier for my teammates to get at their juicy hull for quick kills. My power levels are, at a base, 25/100/25/50. With my playstyle out of the way...

Which would be better towards the team effort? Attack Pattern (Beta) 1 or Target Subsystems (Shields) 2?

I am a fan of Attack Pattern (Beta) and I have all of the necessary skills to boost its effect. I use that skill when my team is focusing a target to increase damage my opponent takes immensely. In my experience, this is an excellent power.

However, I also realize the potency of Target Subsystem (Shields). My science vessel already comes with a standard issue version, but it has a much longer cooldown than the Bridge Officer version and it isn't as effective as the 2nd grade version. I'm going to be using Phasers (mostly Turrets with a Beam Array), and I'm wondering if this skill would be better suited for my weapon choice and loadout. Being able to chain the two versions together more reliably, coupled with Phaser Turrets firing at a target, seems like it would make subsystem disabling less random. I also frequently group with someone who uses Tyken's Rift.

However, Attack Pattern (Beta) is guaranteed and a noticable boost... where as the affect of Target Subsystems (Shields) is more profound (at least it seems, never tried building around it)... and managing to completely eliminate a target's shield would provide more burst potential in PVP. At least in theory. Ideally I'd run them both, but there's only so many tactical slots for a Science Vessel! :p

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Attack PAttern Beta will decrease dmg resist by 15% (per stack)

Personally, I think you would do better with beta in a support role. Use that on the enemy your team is focus firing the most in order to maximize their dmg output.

Like you said, you have an innate subsystem skill as a science captain...it is a longer cooldown but by having beta as well you are diversifying the tools available to you this way.

I always approach it this way: shields can always regen, dmg resist debuffs on the other hand make titanium aluminum.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-03-2010, 10:02 AM
if your playing with somebody that has tss3 and your specced into sensors go for tss2, the effects of stacking it (and to a lesser degree tss1+2) is fairly potent.

otherwise go for apb1
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-03-2010, 02:09 PM
I always wondered if the target has 0 resistances from consoles does apb do anything?
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abohac View Post
I always wondered if the target has 0 resistances from consoles does apb do anything?
yes, you can put a negative resistance on someone, you gain more damage. as to the exact mechanics of it, i'm not too sure how it works, but yes, you can get negative resistances