Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Solo Play
05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Is it just me or has anyone noticed that STO doesn't really encourage team play? I have made it all the way to RA5 with little or no help from anyone.
Kinda reminds me of Mass Effect where me and my NPC guys can do all the content, with no help from anyone. Ah well kinda odd to have an MMO and not need the MM just the O...
And for all those people that start about the new slider for normal, advanced and elite. They have those same sliders in most all console and and non MMO's.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcatnx
Is it just me or has anyone noticed that STO doesn't really encourage team play? I have made it all the way to RA5 with little or no help from anyone.
Kinda reminds me of Mass Effect where me and my NPC guys can do all the content, with no help from anyone. Ah well kinda odd to have an MMO and not need the MM just the O...
And for all those people that start about the new slider for normal, advanced and elite. They have those same sliders in most all console and and non MMO's.
I could not agree more my friend, this game is silly easy with no reasion at all to have a group.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I would argue that a MMORPG does not need to "encourage" team play (what you really mean is force it). Some people like to solo, some people like to team. There are people who like to team but have limited time to play occasionally and want the option to solo but play "around" their mates.

Any more, as the MMORPG population grows older on average it is a bad idea to enforce teaming due to shifts in lifestyle and importance of real life over a game.

The only reason anyone needs to team is the desire to team.

Find a good team oriented guild. There are plenty of them out there
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4 Team Player
05-02-2010, 01:22 PM
If you want a team play MMMO Lord Of the Rings online was made you. STO made it super easy to solo this game early and was major issue one guy made RA5 in 3 days. All the new stuff coming is ment to be run as a 5 man.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
05-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
If you want a team play MMMO Lord Of the Rings online was made you. STO made it super easy to solo this game early and was major issue one guy made RA5 in 3 days. All the new stuff coming is ment to be run as a 5 man.
All I can say is LOL this game is so full of noobs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-02-2010, 03:41 PM
So what you mean is you wanna play an MMO that is not really an MMO. Just an online game.. kinda like.. Pogo
I guess it really doesn't matter since the daily marks of honor don't require you to actually win to get credit. Kinda like everyone that plays gets a trophy cause they showed up and that is all that counts. Ah well, perhaps SWTOR will be more team oriented.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
If you want a team play MMMO Lord Of the Rings online was made you. STO made it super easy to solo this game early and was major issue one guy made RA5 in 3 days. All the new stuff coming is ment to be run as a 5 man.



The issue with this so called MMO is that when you get to the level where you HAVE to depend on other people there is no one there because they soloed all the way up to RA 5. Yes it is wasy to level in this game and thats all well and good for casual players, like myself who's life does not revolve around the game, BUT I also like to progress as much as possible considering I am paying for it. I have played with casual and hardcore players in the past and what it all boils down to is that if you want to get your moneys worth you need to learn how to play the game as a team.

PvP is totally unbalanced, there have been instances that I have gone in and have had to go up against 4 escorts and a cruiser, I am not saying that it is a bad thing I give props to those players, great team work guys!! But there needs to be some guidelines as far as who is let in the zone to have an even playing field. You have people on your team who just fly off instead waiting for the rest of the team to get organized, why?? Because they don't know how to play an MMO, and if you don't know how to play an MMO I don't suggest trying to get into anything that requires you to play in a group because you will most likely be kicked out of the group due to the fact that some folks don't have the patience to help you.

As for the guy who leveled in 3 days, he either has absolutely no life what so ever or just has no job.

Again I am not a "hardcore" player, it's a game and I want to enjoy it, which I do, I just feel some things need to be tweaked a bit.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
05-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcatnx
So what you mean is you wanna play an MMO that is not really an MMO. Just an online game.. kinda like.. Pogo
I guess it really doesn't matter since the daily marks of honor don't require you to actually win to get credit. Kinda like everyone that plays gets a trophy cause they showed up and that is all that counts. Ah well, perhaps SWTOR will be more team oriented.


MMORPGs in no way are institutions of required grouping. That fact is simply more apparent in STO. I have soloed at least one character to max in every MMORPG I have played, and I have played far more than the average MMO player... FAR more.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
05-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwenn View Post
As for the guy who leveled in 3 days, he either has absolutely no life what so ever or just has no job.
Or a lie or a internet myth.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
05-02-2010, 05:06 PM
My bad your right Ayenn. I have been looking all around for some info .. finally went to STO FAQ page and there is was.

"Q: What is an MMORPG?
A: MMORPG is an acronym for massively multiplayer online role-playing game. In an MMORPG, millions of players from around the world can interact with each other to socialize or achieve common goals in a persistent gameplay world."

There it is "can interact with each other to socialize or achieve common goals in a persistent game play world."

So basically I have only encountered "Captain Kirk Superstar wannabe's" that have no clue or intention of actually to buffing/healing a fellow player. Thus not contributing or helping in fleet/team missions because that is just the way the game is.

If they opened all other assignment slots to Commander then I could really maximize my solo potential. Now that would be even more awesome if my own bridge crew could do infected, the cure and KA. Dare I say it .. even kill CE...

Even better remove Fleet actions and daily mark missions and lets just make it a game of entitlement, give my marks for paying my monthly fee and logging in everyday.

I as well have played many many MMO's and spent more hours then I really wanna know playing them.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 AM.