Lt. Commander
# 21
05-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1tty
Captain Picard, and all other Startrek heros are solo players, relying solely on their Bridge officers. An Federation Captain doesn't ask for Starfleet to help, every time when they smell an Klingon.

I rest my case.
I would agree with this except:

Okay here goes

Kirk
Movie 7 I think it is enterprise vs the klingon ship that can fire while cloaked... sulu comes in to help kirk wasnt alone didnt watch the original series that much so dont remember any other group actions.

Picard
Commands a fleet in at least 4 episodes (romulan border and another searching for borg)
Fleet actions with borg
the epiosde where their being harassed by romulans something about taking the enterprise home as a trophy 2 klingon BOPS decloak to help

Sisko
countless fleet actions

Janeway
Ragtag fleet actions

in all these examples we see them working with others. We do have fleet actions but these above are fleet actions that are closer to quests. Captains working together on a single mission. And wanna get more except picard hardly ever goes on away missions because thats the rules. Thats why I am all for making 2 characters when you start the game. Your main the captain who basically is the ship and then your number one who goes on away missions and such.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Captain Picard, and all other Startrek heros are solo players, relying solely on their Bridge officers. An Federation Captain doesn't ask for Starfleet to help, every time when they smell an Klingon.

I rest my case.
Soooooooo...it is possible to take on CE with just your bridge officers???....SWEET!!! But just in case your talking about the actual show...PPSSSTTTT its not real, they are all actors, they are supposed to be able to kill the bad guys by themselves
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwenn View Post
Soooooooo...it is possible to take on CE with just your bridge officers???....SWEET!!! But just in case your talking about the actual show...PPSSSTTTT its not real, they are all actors, they are supposed to be able to kill the bad guys by themselves
lol well in her/his defense we are not real in the game either just a game lol we are the heroes and suppose to take on big fleets even if the main characters do get more help then we ever get oh and have working ships lol
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Silly Ajac I know the game isn't real either, my point is that MMO's soul purpose, whether people like to admit it or not, is for people to work as a team which by reading your posts I see you already know that. People aren't looking at the big picture.

If someone has NEVER played an MMO jumps in this game goes through the entire leveling process and then desides they want to go further with it, they try to group and well no one wants to group with them because they ask too many questions, they don't know to heal their groupies, they don't know to be on the same target. Many aspects of this game are being missed because it can be soloed all the way to RA5, and thats unfortunate because this game has alot of potential. Hopefully the devs look and pay attention to these threads better then /cough SOE.

P.S. Ajac...you're alright dude hope to see you in game
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwenn View Post
Silly Ajac I know the game isn't real either, my point is that MMO's soul purpose, whether people like to admit it or not, is for people to work as a team which by reading your posts I see you already know that. People aren't looking at the big picture.

If someone has NEVER played an MMO jumps in this game goes through the entire leveling process and then desides they want to go further with it, they try to group and well no one wants to group with them because they ask too many questions, they don't know to heal their groupies, they don't know to be on the same target. Many aspects of this game are being missed because it can be soloed all the way to RA5, and thats unfortunate because this game has alot of potential. Hopefully the devs look and pay attention to these threads better then /cough SOE.

P.S. Ajac...you're alright dude hope to see you in game
this company in a word SUCKS. They baiscally made a single play mmo. Id love to group but really no reason to. I really wish a better company got the license we'd have alot more fun more to do and wouldnt avoid noob zones. Heck even wow fixed thier noob zones no constant spam.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajac09 View Post
I would agree with this except:

Okay here goes

Kirk
Movie 7 I think it is enterprise vs the klingon ship that can fire while cloaked... sulu comes in to help kirk wasnt alone didnt watch the original series that much so dont remember any other group actions.

Picard
Commands a fleet in at least 4 episodes (romulan border and another searching for borg)
Fleet actions with borg
the epiosde where their being harassed by romulans something about taking the enterprise home as a trophy 2 klingon BOPS decloak to help

Sisko
countless fleet actions

Janeway
Ragtag fleet actions

in all these examples we see them working with others. We do have fleet actions but these above are fleet actions that are closer to quests. Captains working together on a single mission. And wanna get more except picard hardly ever goes on away missions because thats the rules. Thats why I am all for making 2 characters when you start the game. Your main the captain who basically is the ship and then your number one who goes on away missions and such.
You make a good case. I withdraw my statement.

As for people who say that movies are not RL? Well, I don't live in the illusion that STO is real life either. If you want my real opinion as leader of my fleet; I wished nobody did missions alone. All actions/missions should be fleetactions. Let the noobs pull our strings. I just wished there weren't rank restrictions on fleet actions. That one really sucks big time.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:

As for people who say that movies are not RL? Well, I don't live in the illusion that STO is real life either. If you want my real opinion as leader of my fleet; I wished nobody did missions alone. All actions/missions should be fleetactions. Let the noobs pull our strings. I just wished there weren't rank restrictions on fleet actions. That one really sucks big time.

If you actually read my post I said STO was not real life, but REAL people are playing it which means most real people like a challenge. If you wish no one did missions alone then you see our point and thats all that matters. No not ALL missions/actions should be fleet only, BUT there should be more content that includes group actions, there are times that I just want to go off by myself and blow stuff up yet there are times that I want to go out and group. I have met a few folks that are great players and I have run into some that aren't so great.

With all the Star Trek movies and shows that were made I am really shocked that there is not more content. It seems that choices for character design were number one on the developing list, then the spec tree was second.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-03-2010, 11:20 AM
I think the idea that enemy numbers should scale with group size was a mistake. It means the game is actually easier solo than in a group.

Now that there is a difficulty slider, they ought to make it so you could ramp the difficulty even higher, but aimed at a group of a given size. So you'd have normal, advanced, elite, small group, large group.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:

as I said before though I am all for group actions they just dont now how to handle group stuff... they need to take a page from other mmos

have missions that are ment to be solo and then some ment to be in groups. I dont like forced grouping but as in most mmos you can just ignore the group missions if you dont wanna do them they dont effect progress to much and you still can enjoy the game.. like killing hogger in wow... you dont have to do it but if you wanan get some good xp and have fun with friends then do it. Or come back later when your super powerful and solo i just because you can. And on another note... I wish I could return to areas where I did missions with named ships and enemies and try them again as a rear admiral sometimes being over powered feels good when they gave you such a hard time as an ltc lol
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-03-2010, 11:46 AM
First thing, MMO isn't meaning Online Team Play, it means Massively Multiplayer Online and in STO's case I think we can do with the Massively simply because you can't have large group of players in the same map/instance. People who say that a MMO should be team play only are simply wishing it was like this, it is their liking that they want to impose on others.

Personally, I don't mind being able to solo the entire game, further more, I'd be frustrated if I was not able to.

The reason is that when you join a team there's almost always one or two players that "know it all" and will not hesitate to insult (you noob) or pressure those who makes little mistakes and have less experience in teaming. IMO this is the real problem with many MMOs and why a lot of people aren't teaming.

All we need if a few nice features that makes teaming fun rather than mandatory. Not make a mission so hard that you have no choice of teaming, because it will put alot of pressure on those casual players that have a less team oriented style of play. Pressure means stress and that means "not having fun" and ends up in people not wanting to repeat the experience, hence players are either leaving the game or soloing it.

Flight formations(auto pilot in position), Team skills that can be activate only while in a team(ie: shared shields), team only rewards(team badges to buy interesting gear). Have the ennemies call in reinforcement when a team of feds is coming their way.

In short, teaming should be an alternative, not forced upon us.

And as for Sulu coming to help Kirk, it's in the 6th movie, The undiscovered country, and I will add that such occurence are extremely rare in all the Startrek series/movies. I own all the series and movies on Dvds and must have watched them all 4 or 5 times and I would say that Starships are teaming in about 0.01% of all the episodes.