Lt. Commander
# 11
10-27-2010, 05:15 AM
you need to uninstall and reinstall it in different directory.
here the reason why on win7 is bad for the program files directory

Quote:
Quote from coderanger....

Fun fact, the game will break pretty frequently if you install to Program Files under Vista or Win7 because of a new security feature called Virtual Store (short version: it intercepts and rewrites file writes inside prog files to go somewhere else). That is why it is no longer the default install location on those platforms. There is no permanent way to disable this feature of Windows, so installing outside of Program Files is the best option. The "correct" place according to MS for this would be C:\ProgramData, but more games use Users\Public\Games that we wanted to go with the clearer one. The More You Know.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-27-2010, 09:02 PM
If I were to copy and past all the folders in Star trek online and pasted them into a new folder in C:\Program Data would that fix the problem? Or do I have to do a complete installation?
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-28-2010, 05:23 AM
while you may get it to work by moving the folder, you will have problems specailly in patching as the register setting will not match to the new location. That is why the new install so the register and directory settings are corrrect. You can save some time by coping the hogg files from the /live/pigg directory to a temp location. uninstall , reinstall then copy the hogg files to the new /live/pigg directory. this will save you some patching time.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Still doesn't work, I think what I will end up doing is replacing the bins.hogg with the one on the STO CD. It really sucks because I will be going over on my air card but at least I can level up my characters then now. Thanks for your help!