Lt. Commander
# 111
05-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post
The whole purpose of this promotion is to prompt superfanbois to shell out for 5 accounts to get the goodies. This is the exact same scheme that SOE has done more than once in SWG and other games. Nothing short of an improved game is going to actually cause additional subscribers to show up. Thank God they didn't dangle a Tier 5 Constitution cruiser in front of us or I might have done something I'd clearly hate myself later for doing.

Hint: Cryptic, whenever something you are doing is similar, if not identical, to something SOE does or has done, it's not a good thing.
Um - FYI - Not just SOE, but also:

Blizzard - World of ******** (Yep, I hear that MMO is REALLY going down the tubes...oh, wait)
Funcom - Age of Conan
Mythic - WarHammer....

Wow, I think I'm seeing a TREND with the MMO companies here, offer 'rewards' for recruiting.

(FYI - DirecTV has a 'Refer a Friend' promotion that nets you $100 per friend)

So, yes, I hink this is less due to 'the ship sinking' per se; and more of a marketing too used by current MMOs (and other customer service related companies) to boost subscription/signups is a flagging economic time.

But hey, don't let reason or logic intrude on your 'yes, this MMO is failing/dying because I say so' thread. Yes, the game has issues, but it's still more enjoyable for me than any other MMO (and I've been playing most MMOs since Meridian 59) currently; and for 3 month out the STO Dev team has done an AMAZING job of listening and responding to player feedback, and adding QoL feature and (much needed) content. I have a feeling that by July (and the Season 2 update); this will be a pretty solid MMO with two fully playable factions (and more stuff on the way).

But again, for 3 months post launch, I don't see how anyone can claim "OMG! The Devs are abandoning STO and ONLY adding C-Store items, or trying to find ways to milk te playerbase before they close shop".

One look at the Dev Tracker, and the various Engineering Reports and Calander updates show nthe Dev team has been commited to fixing bugs and improving the game.I purchased a LTS becaus of the potential I saw for the base game, and I'm VERY pleased with the amount of stuff being don by the STO DEv team, and the continued high level of communication from that team.

Do I agree with every decision made? Nope. Do I think the STO Dev Team is infallible? No. But, the one thing they have shown and PROVED is that they are indeed commited to improving the game; and involving and listening to the playerbase as they do so; and I feel they've done a good job to date, and hope they are able to continue to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 112
05-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWolf View Post
Lately EVERYTHING they do, people blow it all out of proprtion and whine endlessly.
That's probably because the decisions Cryptic has made lately end up sounding like they used zero logic when they came up with them like they were Hollywood executives discussing how awesome it would be to have a female Robin in the next Batman movie.

Cryptic: I know, lets make a ship that has been long requested in the forums and only give it to the 10 guys insanely lucky enough to have 5 Star Trek/MMO loving friends who haven't bough this game or the other 10 guys rich and dumb enough to spend 175 bucks to do it all by themselves. What can possibly go wrong?!

The fact is the Cryptic should be well enough versed in its own community by now than to think its a great idea to do something this monumentally stupid.

But no, your right NeoWolf, we should all just bend on over and spread em wide, I mean we're just giving them our time, trust and money, its not like they owe us any kind of intelligent fore-thought or anything.

This is the way the world works people, treat your customers badly and they'll yell at you. Treat them well and they'll yell at you less.

P.S. whining about whiners is still considered hypocritical
Lt. Commander
# 113
05-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTarg
I want that Enterprise so bad I would be willing to pay a but load of C points for it, ****, I would buy it for 4000 C points
Tbh I knew that "this Enterprise" would be in STO, I had the impression though that it would be given to us at launch....sucks though you can only get in through recruiting.....lol should be through recruiting or 430 Day vet reward lol...
Lt. Commander
# 114
05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkElfa View Post
That's probably because the decisions Cryptic has made lately end up sounding like they used zero logic when they came up with them like they were Hollywood executives discussing how awesome it would be to have a female Robin in the next Batman movie.
Zero logic to you maybe, because the quality of thier decision making lately is illogical to you..your opinion. Because you are vocal about your opinion does not make you right, it just makes you loud lol.

Quote:
Cryptic: I know, lets make a ship that has been long requested in the forums and only give it to the 10 guys insanely lucky enough to have 5 Star Trek/MMO loving friends who haven't bough this game or the other 10 guys rich and dumb enough to spend 175 bucks to do it all by themselves. What can possibly go wrong?!
Strange, because I've been here since day one and don;t recall seeing many calls for it. to back it up I did a forum search for it.. do it yourself, I think you'l agree from the results you will find yourself "long requested" is not the same as "MUCH requested". There have been FAR FAR more calls for the Oberth, Excalibur and Nebula for instance.

but again its ONE ship, its called an incentive and incentive that is AVAILABLE to everyone.. EVERYONE. And you dont have to be rich to buy this game or pay for a months game time..far from it.

Your sore because you want the ship, I get that, your sore because you want the shhip and you don;t have or cant get five people to buy the game and pay for a month I get that too.. but just because you cant do it doesnt mean thier incentive for referals is therefore flawed.

What they have done is as I said before, is something that is commonly used across the board in business, offer an incentive in order to sell thier product. It wasnt a bad decision, it just wasnt convenient for you..which is not the same thing at all, irrespective of what you may think.

Quote:
The fact is the Cryptic should be well enough versed in its own community by now than to think its a great idea to do something this monumentally stupid.
If you mean they should be familiar by now that the community at present laregely consists of relatively new folks (not entirely, but for the most part) who are big on complaining when they don't get thier own way, then im absolutey positive they are aware of it.

Your painting them in an ill light because theyve done one thing here that doesnt suit you.. what about the other positive things they done?

We wanted more direct communication, theyve done that they let us know what is happening. We wanted to know what is in the works.. theyve done that, they gave us a release calendar with pretty accurate dates so far. We werent happy with the games release quality, they addressed that by giving us tribble a test server to ensure patches and updates would be more thoroughly vetted before release? We wanted bridges..they give us bridges EVERY month. We wanted more PVE for klingons.. they given us "some". We wanted more factions.. IN THE WORKS!, we wanted interiors.. IN THE WORKS, we wanted Veterans rewards.. IN THE WORKS, we wanted a free tiral.. WE have one... the list goes on.

Its easy to say they are a nasty evil company who don't care about their customers, when your just trying portray your own version of events, because your miffed over ONE thing that doesn't suit you personally.. but the reality is, they go out of there way for us ALL THE TIME and all they get for the hard work is grief, and whining..yet still the whiners play anyway (interesting).

It has sadly become routine to bad mouth them.. and admitedly not always without reason, but it has yet to become JUSTIFIED to this extent.

Quote:
But no, your right NeoWolf, we should all just bend on over and spread em wide, I mean we're just giving them our time, trust and money, its not like they owe us any kind of intelligent fore-thought or anything.
And of course they do nothing with there time for our money do they? ignoring all of the above I already pointed out, im certain they just spend thier days thinking of ways to upset you. For sure.

The fact of it is, like I say they give us plenty of thought because thier livelihoods depend on it, but whenever it isnt conveneint for EVERYONE, rather than see the good they do, people just throw tantrums, and chuck thier toys out of the pram.

Everything they do isnt going to be convenient to everyone.. because nothing ANYONE does, IS.. get over it.

Quote:
This is the way the world works people, treat your customers badly and they'll yell at you. Treat them well and they'll yell at you less.
Im one of thier customers, I don't feel hard done by, indeed many people dont.. but most of us are playing the game instead of sittting here bit**ing about it on the forums.

Im far from being a Cryptic fanbois and have been first to tell them when they've messed up before. Awen, Gozer, Daeke, Jackalope heck ive had complaints and run ins with most of them over the time of this games development and release.

But throughout i've never done so at the expense of acknowledging what they have done right, or when they have listened, or given us what we asked for, or worried about..

Quote:
I can live with that
Lt. Commander
# 115
05-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkElfa View Post

Whatever, okay? There's an unreasonable number of referrals set to get you some galaxy class thing. Fine. Submit your complaint and move on with your life. This should not even be a thing, there are not enough expletives for how ridiculous this argument is.
Lt. Commander
# 116
05-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWolf View Post
Sorry, I just don't see the big deal.. so they make ONE single ship an incentive for referers.. boo hoo.. what about all the ship we get, and will get anyway.

Suck it up and stop being a bunch of whingers.

Its a Mountain out of a mole hill..

I mean, im a lifetime subscriber and a consumer and I just don't feel like im being screwed over. Obviously they are going to offer limited incentives for certain things its an AGE OLD practice for enticing people and fairly sound and common business practice.

I didn't get an original trek connnie, but you don't see me throwing a kiddy fit.. I could have gotten one but I didnt. We can get a t5 galaxy if we want, if we don't thats not because they are dneying you, they have given ALL of us the same opportunity to get it.

Folks saying well if everyone can't have it too then im taking my ball and going home is purile and pointless.

I mean come on folks lets keep this in perspective.. ONE single ship is being put on offer for referers.. NOONE is being denied it, in fact EVERYONE is being given the chance to get it.

refer five people who sub for a month and its yours..heck wait until the game is on sale or budget like CO is right now and buy five copies yourself if you want it that much.

All this SHOUTING and RAGEQUITING for the sake of one ship, most folks could care less about is ridiculous.

Lately EVERYTHING they do, people blow it all out of proportion and whine endlessly. These forums used to be about the game now all they are is an endless stream of spoilt children whining because they cant have everything for nothing like they want it.

Cryptic are running a business, give them the courtesy of allowing them to do that, because the fact of it is, they give us plenty!

We all wanted a STAR TREK mmo, we have one, now lets try and be a little productive and support them and IT, so we can continue to have one by being constructive. Just endlessly complaining in order to get everything our own way all the time is completely counter productive.
It all comes down to that people really want something but the chances of them gettting it are slim...so what does it call for...complaining. Its like a child wanting his or her favourite toy but not gettin it. As has been said numerous times so far in this thread is that this ship has been wanted by alot...that should speak for itself right there.

Its a ship nothing more. A skin actually. Unless it can cloak and have the uber cannon that can 1 shot ships in a matter of seconds your not missing anything other then looks.

The promotion starts this friday for people who dont know. I for one already told 5 of my friends that they have to sign up or there gettin the big boot from me lol. They wanted to try the game out never the less.
Lt. Commander
# 117
05-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvel
Have any of you people complaining about having to pay for extra ships costumes, or emotes, or bridge packs, ever played on Xbox Live? Everything extra for a game costs money! Cryptic is NOT the only company charging for extra things in game, because it is not required for the game to be played. You don't NEED anything from the C-Store. You have a choice to buy it or not. You don't like it? Deal with it. It is part of life. Fun things cost money. Everything costs money. Why do you feel like STO is the only game like this? Seriously, go play other games and understand that the rest of the gaming community puts up with this as well. You all want free stuff. Life isn't like that anymore, sorry to break it to you. STO is what it is, like it or not. I personally love it. Would I like things in the C-Store to be free? Yes. Will I complain about it on end when I have to pay money for something extra I want? No. Paying for C-Store items isn't the end of the world like so many of you seem to think.
Arvel, the major difference here is that on Xbox Live different companies offer DLC in different ways.
You also can't use the fact you need to pay for Xbox Live as a basis comparison either, given that Xbox Live costs less-than half what STO does... and by having a free Xbox Live Silver account, you still have full access to both Live and Zune Marketplace as well as entitle to all of the game/live updates.

In-fact the only thing a Gold Live account has which the free one doesn't, is the ability to play games online.
You don't get the option to play STO offline, as it's an MMO.

If Cryptic were doing the same thing as they're doing with the C-Store on Xbox Live, they would find that most people just wouldn't buy them. EA learnt this the hard way, as has Capcom. It isn't that people aren't willing to pay for additional game content, it is that they don't want to have to pay for content that doesn't add anything new to the game.

In-fact I'd bet that if Cryptic made everything in the C-Store available universally, and moved the STF to the C-Store; they would see a HUGE increase in those willing to get Cryptic Points because they want to play the new content. The thing is Cryptic know they can't do that, because people (particularly those who are coming from EVE Online or World of ********) will be up in arms far more than they are now over content not being freely available.

This is something that really all of this comes back to though.
Does Cryptic have that small a subscriber-base? or are they trying to just gauge us for more money?

I know that while the development staff is working on the game itself, the art staff are sat around with their thumbs up their bums... but seriously why not simply get them to work on NEW CONTENT. How difficult are the mission development tools to use if the art staff aren't capable of making new missions and content. Even more confusing is surely the tools aren't that difficult, why the heck there is still nothing more than basic exploration missions for the Klingons and in-fact even more to that end... why the hell are they working on new ships for the Federation who already have an OVERWHELMING number of ships, with the Klingons having barely any customisation!!

All this and we were recently asked about a new faction. Seriously?! SERIOUSLY?! C'mon do you have a 12year old in charge of the development schedual or something!?
Lt. Commander
# 118
05-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
It all comes down to that people really want something but the chances of them gettting it are slim...so what does it call for...complaining. Its like a child wanting his or her favourite toy but not gettin it. As has been said numerous times so far in this thread is that this ship has been wanted by alot...that should speak for itself right there.

Its a ship nothing more. A skin actually. Unless it can cloak and have the uber cannon that can 1 shot ships in a matter of seconds your not missing anything other then looks.

The promotion starts this friday for people who dont know. I for one already told 5 of my friends that they have to sign up or there gettin the big boot from me lol. They wanted to try the game out never the less.
It has the centerline cannon. Exactly what its effect is isn't known, but the relevant aspect is that there is an effect. They may as well start putting new BO powers in the C-store at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 119
05-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
It has the centerline cannon. Exactly what its effect is isn't known, but the relevant aspect is that there is an effect. They may as well start putting new BO powers in the C-store at this point.
Has anything been said if it has an effect or is it just cosmetic? I mean obviously theyll have the cannon displayed under the saucer, it wouldnt be the ship if it didnt have it.

I agree, if the ship is going to have the ability to cloak (dear lord will there be alot of complaints, more than ever) but if it can cloak and have a new ability that super seeds the overload beam attack then hahah yeah, then theyll have to start addin in bo's that contain new abilities.

Thing is and what also has to be looked as is, if this ship contains a cloak and a new attack power...it may very well be a limited time offer...can you imagine this ship being out for everyone, and I mean in the cstore that is. You would see this ship overplayed to the max..especially pvp against klingons.

Well the promotion is this friday, so when I get it and if anyone else gets it this friday..iam sure theyll be posts gallore of what the ship has and dosnt...stay tunned
Lt. Commander
# 120
05-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
...Well the promotion is this friday, so when I get it and if anyone else gets it this friday..iam sure theyll be posts gallore of what the ship has and dosnt...stay tunned
Even if the promotion is this friday, the ship won't be there this friday, because...
Quote:
A special ship: The Tier 5 "All Good Things" Galaxy Class. (Note: This vessel will be cleared for active duty and released from the Utopia Planetia Shipyards when Season One, Update Two releases.)
http://www.startrekonline.com/referral

Season 1.2 is scheduled on the calender from May 27 - May 31...
Closed Thread