Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 1121
05-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Yeah, that doesn't imply a Klingon version so much as "KDF characters tooling around in a refit Galaxy".
True, if you stick by the words of Atari... but it's not entirely out of character for them to completely jump the gun on promotions and announce things before the team actually responsible for making things and making them work have all the details.
Lt. Commander
# 1122
05-11-2010, 03:27 PM
from a businees standpoint this is brilliant take a highly wanted item and offer it for getting more customers for cryptic i applaude their idea wether you like it or dont like it you have to admit its genius
Lt. Commander
# 1123
05-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthro View Post
from a businees standpoint this is brilliant take a highly wanted item and offer it for getting more customers for cryptic i applaude their idea wether you like it or dont like it you have to admit its genius
If we were looking at the short-term, then yes, it is. However, MMO companies need to think about the long-term. If Cryptic had waited until after the game was more fully developed than try to get people to spread a good word about a game that is currently bleeding subs, then maybe it would be a better idea. As it currently stands, people who are still here are put off by the idea of giving an item like the Galaxy-X to people who either shell out $225.00 or lie through their teeth about how GREAT the game is. It's a good game, but not worth bribing people for.

TLDR: Short-term = Good idea ... Long-term = Bad idea
Lt. Commander
# 1124
05-12-2010, 01:02 AM
It doesnt matter what the new shiny is people will want it and complain we need another way to get it. Look at the mirror universe uniforms nothing special there except you had to be a member of co and buy lifetime to get it they have no special powers but people still whine they want another way to get them.
I will applaude cryptic if they don't give in to the whiners and keep it exclusive. If they make every special item available and easily obtainable there's no point to it also it would screw them over in the future how many people would bother trying to recruit people if they knew in a few months they could just get the item free or cheap?
Lt. Commander
Quote:
It doesnt matter what the new shiny is people will want it and complain we need another way to get it. Look at the mirror universe uniforms nothing special there except you had to be a member of co and buy lifetime to get it they have no special powers but people still whine they want another way to get them.
I will applaude cryptic if they don't give in to the whiners and keep it exclusive. If they make every special item available and easily obtainable there's no point to it also it would screw them over in the future how many people would bother trying to recruit people if they knew in a few months they could just get the item free or cheap?
Its is going to be this type of elitist attitude that will be the downfall of this game.......... prematurely.

I have many of the exclusives and taking the trek out of Star Trek is STO suicide. Then your Mirror Universe uniforms are pretty useless.......
Lt. Commander
# 1126
05-12-2010, 01:28 AM
i dont have the mu unis just using it as an example
Lt. Commander
# 1127
05-12-2010, 01:31 AM
[quote=picardalpha2clearance;2660329]Its is going to be this type of elitist attitude that will be the downfall of this game.......... prematurely.

that's what people claimed with elder jedi robes in swg if you don't give everyone a chance to get them the game will die here it is i think 5 years after the nge and the game is still going grant it it's not as sucessful as it once was but it's still there
Lt. Commander
# 1128
05-12-2010, 03:01 AM
What? SWG is dead. The only thing that differs SWG from Tabula Rasa is that SWG's servers are still up.
Though ironically if Tabula Rasa still had servers it would probably have a bigger population.

Do you honestly want SWG as the example for STO? A game based on a popular franchise bled dry by uncaring developers?
Lt. Commander
# 1129
05-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Keeping exclusives that reflect the Star Trek IP exclusive only to those who buy two lifetime subs, get ten different boxes, recruit five strangers, etc. is essentially suicide. There has to be a way to EARN these items, either as a really hard to get accolade or through the Vet program. The C-Store shouldn't be a place for them, but there should be an alternative.

And you know what? If the game was in a better shape than it is now, I would be willing to spread the word without having a giant carrot dangling in front of me. I love Star Trek and would love to see this game live long and prosper, but the way that marketing is handling things this game is going to be a ghost town. People have left the game for less than the referral program fiasco.
Lt. Commander
# 1130
05-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
What? SWG is dead.
Approximately 50k people still play SWG, so its got half as many players as STO.
Closed Thread