Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 181
05-04-2010, 12:48 PM
I was going to go into a grand, eye-watering wall of text responding to a bunch of people, but the thread has pretty much gotten off topic, so I'm just going to stick to the topic itself.

I could not, in any good conscience, suggest to my friends that they should not only buy the game, but also subscribe for a month.

There are a couple of reasons for this.

1. I do not believe that the game is worth either the box price or the subscription, let alone both.

2. If the game was in a decent state, this promotion wouldn't be necessary. (See Reason 1)

3. Given my (admittedly very low) opinion of the game, I am simply not willing to, in essence, prostitute the integrity of my friendships so Cryptic can make a little extra money and I can get a ship skin.

4. I simply cannot support something like this as the AGT Galaxy - I now understand - comes with a unique power. That means that it will likely go to an extremely limited number of people in the game, based on the nature of the promotion. It's not something that's fluff like the Captain's Table or a ship skin you buy in the C-Store. I would view that as an entirely unfair advantage for a select few Feds (especially since if I stick around long enough for it to be available, I would go Romulan), and that's just not cricket.

So yeah, make it a vet reward or obtainable in some other way, and drop the unique power or add a companion unique power and make it available to all playable factions.
Lt. Commander
# 182
05-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelakh View Post
2. If the game was in a decent state, this promotion wouldn't be necessary. (See Reason 1)
Then why does WoW do a similar program?
Lt. Commander
# 183
05-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Then why does WoW do a similar program?
"similar" as in recruit only 1 friend and get an awful looking zebra type MOUNT with no special game-changing abilities.

STO version: recruit 5 friends, have them pay for a months subscription EACH, and get an entire SHIP with a special ability making it distinctively better than any other cruiser in the game.

now do you see the difference?
Lt. Commander
# 184
05-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
you still don't get it. you are *WASTING* and *SQUANDERING* oppurtunities to make the game BETTER by offering UNIQUE things for players for in-game achievements, for making a quick buck.

are you so BLIND that you can not see this?
Hardly......

So they are going to offer people rewards for furthering the player-base of the game, big deal, time to get over it because it's not going to change.

Much of the items in the C-Store are by the special request of the player-base, i.e. US, and they are offered in order to keep up interested in between content releases and bug fixes. They can't just add new missions for the game everytime they come out with a bridge pack or new Emotes as they wouldn't get their main goals done.

are YOU so blind that you can't see this?
Lt. Commander
# 185
05-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
"similar" as in recruit only 1 friend and get an awful looking zebra type MOUNT with no special game-changing abilities.
Your information is out of date. The Zhevra is no longer available; it's a flying mount now. Furthermore, it increases your XP gains, and lets your friend grant you levels. That has a game effect. It allows you to summon each other. That has a game effect.

Quote:
STO version: recruit 5 friends, have them pay for a months subscription EACH, and get an entire SHIP with a special ability making it distinctively better than any other cruiser in the game.

now do you see the difference?
You are making a HUGE assumption about the power of that ship that is not supported by ANY evidence. All similar past items have fit in appropriate slots; if this weapon fits in a weapon slot and does less damage than a beam, it might actually make the ship weaker. You have no reason to believe it makes it "distinctively better".

The TOS Connie was marginally better for a few hours of play at the low end. Big whoop.
Lt. Commander
# 186
05-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
There's a whole threadnought on errors in the models in-game, from inappropriate time eras to details.

Basically, the complaints with the origina Galaxy model were:

1) No front torpedo launchers accounted for on the model
2) Warp pylons not being flush with the rear of the engineering hull (visible seam on the top)
3) Incorrect nacelle placement
4) Missing phaser strips

Sauer issues - well, it depends on which saucer you mean. The working miniature (depending on which model you're talking about - the 6-foot original model, or the 4-foot shooting miniature) had two different saucer configuration. Subtle differences, yes - such as the height of the saucer rim - but there nonethless.
Don't forget that lack of a Captain's yacht.
Lt. Commander
# 187
05-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
The implication I've gotten so far in this thread is that the T4-to-T5 upgrades mentioned would have some sort of special abilities. I really hope they don't come off as gimmicky; that was one of the things I disliked about ST:Armada and ST:BOTF. Phaser cannon would be okay, I imagine; a Corbomite Device? Yeeek...
How about everyone wait for the specifics before jumping to conclusions? No one outside the development team knows the full details of what this will be, so getting all worried about it when it may turn out to be nothing is kind of silly if you ask me.
Lt. Commander
# 188
05-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
How about everyone wait for the specifics before jumping to conclusions? No one outside the development team knows the full details of what this will be, so getting all worried about it when it may turn out to be nothing is kind of silly if you ask me.
Sorry, wasn't trying to come off as jumping to conclusions. Just expressing a hope that they don't go the one-gimmick-ship route. I'm not worried so much as jus' sayin'. =)
Lt. Commander
# 189
05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
I wonder if one day all the made up junk will outweigh anything left that is remotely canon in this game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Actually, it does have the bad-ass phaser cannon on the underside of the saucer - it is a unique power that comes with the ship (ie not a weapon slot) and fires a narrow cylindor beam that (I believe) will be capable of hitting multiple targets.
That's a joke right? Your adding a weapon from an alternate time-line that Q obviously pulled out of hi... out of thin air as an actual in-game ability? Cosmetic crap is one thing, but this is ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 190
05-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Ghost
I wonder if one day all the made up junk will outweigh anything left that is remotely canon in this game.
I kinda hope so. I signed on for a new Star Trek era, not a TNG/DS9/Voyager Greatest Hits game.
Closed Thread