Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 271
05-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
This whole thread has been a storm about nothing.
Nobody is entitles to all the things in the game. Some things are not for you unless you jump through the hoops to get them. But it's Cryptic. When they feel enough time has passed or that the referral is not working they will put it in the c-store and everyone will have one.

But the fact that people think they 'should' have one by easier means just gives me glee for how right I am about most of this community.
You're honestly fine with paying (a large financial outlay, either self-funded or suckering others) for a completely endgame-relevant item with unique mechanical effects in a subscription game?
Lt. Commander
# 272
05-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Comment removed
Lt. Commander
# 273
05-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
The same reason they played DDO, Vanguard, and SWG at their original launches?

EVE only side-stepped this by having players generate virtually everything (the price was almost no direction for those that wanted it - eliminating many players until they improved the tutorial/missions later on).
DDO became F2P. If you want to make comparisons... I would be completely understanding if STO became F2p, although Im pretty sure that would **** off every LTS.

Vanguard... yea.

SWG had depth right from the start and was rather unique. STO does not have depth, and is more generic than anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 274
05-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Why offer it earlier? There is absolutely no need to entice people to get new players to join when they are already doing it. The carrot has to arrive when the influx is no more than a trickle.

As for canon ships? Why this one. It appeared once. There are many ships that are not in game. Many had more screen time and certainly more official canon recognition in CBS/Paramount publications.

It's just a ship, a costume, they'll sell it and a hundred more to you as long as you keep paying the bills.

If players want new ships and cryptic don't have the staff or the time then why can't cryptic offer it out to the users. Some of us can model and texture wrap models without the need for a big team. CBS might not approve many, but they would certainly have a choice.
Offering it earlier might have brought in a greater initial influx of players if everybody who wanted the ship brought in five people, for example. Now that the well is dry for so many players Cryptic might get a few who scrape together the people but on the other end they're going to get more disgruntled players that feel 'betrayed' by the system as this thread seems to be pointing out.

I'm not sure 'why' this one, to be honest. It did only appear once but I think that for a lot of people it was a 'whoa' moment for them and so a lot of the fandom has always wanted to run with it. If it were just a costume it wouldn't be a problem, or not as much of one. However, the fact is that it apparently has a special power to replicate the phaser cannon from the movie according to reports. That means it has more firepower and makes it its own ship and not 'just' a costume in that it can actual change game balance in some way.

As for giving out modeling for ships to players, I think that would cause a great deal of legal and managerial problems. Though, my personal feeling is that a lot of the fans could do a better job with the ships than some of what I've seen because of their insane attention to detail, being fans. (Not a dig a Cryptic, of course, just an observation.)
Lt. Commander
# 275
05-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
You're honestly fine with paying (a large financial outlay, either self-funded or suckering others) for a completely endgame-relevant item with unique mechanical effects in a subscription game?
Not at all.
I've said in this thread and previously in others that I would not recommend a friend, let alone five, to spend money on this game. I have more respect for them than that.

Also why is this ship suddenly necessary to end -game? Was end-game not already dealt with by the players who had their ordinary ships, the players who got bored and moved on? Walt? There is a ship they NEED to finish the game? Quick, get them all back!.

you miss my point. It's cosmetic fluff that means nothing t the game. it's just the Pˇkemon mentality of those under 30.

Well you don't gotta catch 'em all and nothing says you have a right to.
Lt. Commander
# 276
05-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sol
Offering it earlier might have brought in a greater initial influx of players if everybody who wanted the ship brought in five people, for example. Now that the well is dry for so many players Cryptic might get a few who scrape together the people but on the other end they're going to get more disgruntled players that feel 'betrayed' by the system as this thread seems to be pointing out.

I'm not sure 'why' this one, to be honest. It did only appear once but I think that for a lot of people it was a 'whoa' moment for them and so a lot of the fandom has always wanted to run with it. If it were just a costume it wouldn't be a problem, or not as much of one. However, the fact is that it apparently has a special power to replicate the phaser cannon from the movie according to reports. That means it has more firepower and makes it its own ship and not 'just' a costume in that it can actual change game balance in some way.

As for giving out modeling for ships to players, I think that would cause a great deal of legal and managerial problems. Though, my personal feeling is that a lot of the fans could do a better job with the ships than some of what I've seen because of their insane attention to detail, being fans. (Not a dig a Cryptic, of course, just an observation.)
you are correct. It may have brought in more players. I simply do not know. But the game could not keep the majority of players it had. Would this ship have kept these hypothetical new customers?
Lt. Commander
# 277
05-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Quote:
It's cosmetic fluff that means nothing t the game. it's just the Pˇkemon mentality of those under 30.
False. It is an item with a unique mechanical effect (the forward superlaser), as confirmed by dstahl.
Lt. Commander
# 278
05-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Quote:
you are correct. It may have brought in more players. I simply do not know. But the game could not keep the majority of players it had. Would this ship have kept these hypothetical new customers?
Certainly not, but I don't think that's what people are angry about. I think people are angry that they have to recruit people to this game when they've already recruited them for a ship that they feel is more powerful than the current in-game ships when Cryptic supposedly promised them that there would be nothing they couldn't get through in-game play.

Players feel they're being forced to get their friends to buy and play a game they don't even feel is very good just to get a 'quality of life' update that they feel should be in the game to begin with. They believe Cryptic should've been filling out the canon roster and adding the canon ships everybody has been asking for instead of messing around with their own designs. It's the fact they have to sell our their friends to get a ship a lot of players feel should've been in the game from the beginning that they're angry about.
Lt. Commander
# 279
05-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
False. It is an item with a unique mechanical effect (the forward superlaser), as confirmed by dstahl.

and that's imperative to have for what reason? Are they bringing in more enemies and content that you can only kill with this super weapon? Or can you just still complete it all quite easily with what's already in game?

Nobody needs it. Cake lovers want it. Pˇkemon obsessives desire it. It's just a nonsense thing in a game.
Lt. Commander
# 280
05-04-2010, 10:04 PM
So...another day another Cryptic PR disaster, i can see this getting as bad as salegate.

They are adding one of the most wanted ships but making it so that very, very few people will have access to it, and on top of that we now find out that it will also get a unique power that no other ship has, did the guys at cryptic really think this was a good idea?

I like many others already convinced my MMO playing friends to try STO, i doubt i can even get 1 more person to try it now let alone 5.

I like this game (despite all the current problems) but Cryptic just seems to be finding new ways every 2nd week to annoy the people that have stuck with them, things like this ship should be rewards to the people that are sticking with them (making it one of the Vet rewards would have made a lot more sense).

I really hope they change their minds about the way they are going to make this ship available because otherwise i can see yet more player dissatisfaction hurting subscriber numbers and this promotion costing them subs rather than gaining them subs.
Closed Thread