Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 421
05-05-2010, 05:59 PM
I imagine that a t5 Defiant with a cloak will be next on their list of shill exclusives.
Yours if you get 15 friends to spend more than 2000cp each at the c-store!
Lt. Commander
# 422
05-05-2010, 06:02 PM
When I started this game, one of the things I liked about it was how there weren't a bunch of unattainable endgame items that I'd never be able to have. (I'm not a big Raiding fan.) It's not through raiding, but it's similarly unattainable for me. I hope this is not starting a trend. Putting what is normally routine upgrade content for other MMOs in the C-Store is bad enough already.

This is just morale destroying.
Lt. Commander
# 423
05-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Agree with alot here this ship should not be a referral program reward.
Lt. Commander
# 424
05-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
  • Switch the 400 day veteran reward, the Captain's Yacht with the All Good Things Galaxy, since all players can obtain the 400 day reward. Or make it a 500 day reward.
  • Make the All Good Things Galaxy available in the C-store for a premium fee at the same time the first few players unlock it through the Referral Program.
I'd be cool with either of these solutions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
I for one have done everything I can to support Cryptic and improve this game, and though the devs have done other controversial things in the past, I have stuck by them for the sake of the game. However, this is the first things they've done that could break the game for me. If this isn't remedied, I for one might end up leaving STO.
I wouldn't leave over it, but I definitely would never ask my friends to join me in another Cryptic game at launch. I'd wait a few months to see if they did a "refer a friend" and get neat lootz thing again. This isn't a complaint, but it would be my reaction. Having rewards for "refer a friend" are par for the course in MMOs, but Cryptic I think you need to add boatloads more content to this game out of the box (so to speak) before you start offering these kind of rewards.

Sure, I can recruit a friend and get my nice reward, but my friends won't stay because there is not enough in-game to keep them happy long-term.
Lt. Commander
# 425
05-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Frankly the cynicism of this referral program hits a new low.
Think about it. They want people who want the Galaxy X, who are a lot of people, to get 5 people each to subscribe for at least one month.

Let's say only 5% of people who want the Galaxy X do this, that's a lot of new subs. So they can go to their investors and say "Hey, look at all our new subs!"
These new subs probably won't stick around, but they don't care, because all they care about is that it looks to their investors and Atari that STO is growing when it isn't.
Lt. Commander
# 426
05-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Someone earlier in the thread said they'd pay 4,000 Cryptic Points for this...

Well, I have good news for them! This is basically the ultimate C-Store item! Cryptic, take note...just follow my math, and release this bad boy into the C-Store, at the following price....

The current exchange rate of United States Dollars ($) to Cryptic Points (CP) is $1 to 80CP.

So, five retail copies of the game ($29.99 each) plus five months worth of subscription time ($14.99/month) gives you a grand total of $225, which is a mere 18,000CP!!! Plus, for your purchase, they'll give you a nice 2,000CP rebate! So it only costs the low, low price of 16,000CP!!! Yay!

So, for the low low price of $225 you'll get a shiny new starship, a holographic bridge officer and pet, and enough c-store points to put you 1/9th of the way toward the next exclusive starship they release....again, yay!

Seriously. For a freaking ship and a few shiny bits, you want us to get you $225...seriously. It's not right, it's not fair, and it's something that should strongly be reconsidered.

I'm a double-lifer. Both here and in Champions Online. I've bought from the C-Store. I've gotten friends to play both the games. I've done my part...please don't do this to me, and the countless others like me, who have invested in your products, and done all we can to give you a shot at success.

Please don't double-cross all of us like this.

The Champions Online team almost made the same mistake with Revelation/Vibora Bay...well, this is STO's Revelation/Vibora Bay incident. Learn from CO, and do the right thing.
Lt. Commander
# 427
05-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Then I will never have this ship

I already brought more than 5 people to this game. But this was when the game launched. And most of them are even Lifetimers now.

Talking 5 friends to try and play this game, and then sub for a month even, is HARD but possible.

But now I have to ask 5 strangers lol.
And I'm not that kind of marketing guy. Saddly.
Lt. Commander
# 428
05-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_H
I'd be more than happy to shell out 2,000 CP for this ship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenVoodoo View Post
I'd be cool with either of these solutions...
WHY!?

Do you want everything that expands gameplay to be sold in the C-store now? This isn't just a ship skin! dstahl has confirmed that this has at least one, possibly two (and the possible one is a cloaking device) in-game effects.

Cryptic repeated endless variations on the promise that 'everything sold in the C-store that affects gameplay will be earnable in-game'.

You want to give them a pass on that? Turn this game into an Asian pay-for-power MMO with a sub tacked on?

*head asplode*
Lt. Commander
# 429
05-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
WHY!?

Do you want everything that expands gameplay to be sold in the C-store now? This isn't just a ship skin! dstahl has confirmed that this has at least one, possibly two (and the possible one is a cloaking device) in-game effects.

Cryptic repeated endless variations on the promise that 'everything sold in the C-store that affects gameplay will be earnable in-game'.

You want to give them a pass on that? Turn this game into an Asian pay-for-power MMO with a sub tacked on?

*head asplode*
Read my whole post. I was fine with either option. The other one being:

"Switch the 400 day veteran reward, the Captain's Yacht with the All Good Things Galaxy, since all players can obtain the 400 day reward. Or make it a 500 day reward."

Stop overreacting, there is enough of that on this forum already.
Lt. Commander
# 430
05-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Squid has a point though. The cannon was bad enough, but a Federation cloak all of it's own is a real balance changer, and making that exclusive or paid for is just plain wrong.

At this point I submit that the Galaxy X would be ideal for the new Memory Alpha. Put it at the end of the research chain.
This would require substantial play time and involvement in game content without requiring harsh raiding (STFs) or real money/absurd shilling for an item with genuine gameplay effects.

I wouldn't object to elements from STFs making the process faster mind you as long as it wouldn't be the only way.
Closed Thread