Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 601
05-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
Nope. Sorry. It isn't. This isn't recruiting. This is selling.
Welcome to the real world, it's harsh so you have to deal with it.......
Lt. Commander
# 602
05-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
He still had it right the first time, as that is really all that a referral system is.
I take issue with his use of the word recruit, since again this is selling, regardless of what the referral prgram is or isn't.
Lt. Commander
# 603
05-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
Yeah.
Here's another lesson from the real world: You anger your customers, they will go elsewhere.

I sure hope you enjoy the game Cryptic leaves you with after this.
Lt. Commander
# 604
05-06-2010, 08:29 AM
The way this debate seems to me is that there are two sides to it.

The first: "This is a good business strategy on Cryptic's part. Putting a highly sought after item as the carrot at the end of the referral process will get lots of participation, lots of referrals and eventually lots of revenue to keep the development of the game going strong. I like STO, I like the ship, I'll do what is necessary to get the ship I desire."

The Second: "This is a bad business strategy on Cryptic part. I want that ship and the using the referral process to get it is too time consuming and is going to end up hurting STO in the long run since everyone is going rage quit if Cryptic goes through with it. I like STO, I want that ship, and I am going to rage and scream until this decision is changed so that I can get the reward without going through this program. Cryptic promised that they wouldn't add any game changing elements to the C-store, and by extension the concept applies here due to how much of a task it is going to be to get the ship that I want and that money is exchange hands, not necessarily mine to theirs, but Cryptic is still making money off this that isn't related to the Subs. Therefore this is a bad idea. That ship is canon to Star Trek. The players shouldn't have to pay extra for a canon ship therefore this is a bad idea. This referral system looks like a Pyramid scheme, therefor it is immoral and a bad idea and I should get the ship I want by some other means except for this one way that they have stated.

Neither side is going to back down from this argument for one reason, they are both right. And thus the forums explode as they have.

Quote:
I take issue with his use of the word recruit, since again this is selling, regardless of what the referral prgram is or isn't.
Tough. The program is what is it is. Often times a recruitment to any organization is exactly like this. You ask someone if they want to join, point out that there is a fee for joining, and that there are monthly dues for doing so. You do this because you are already a member of the organization and know that in some way, shape or form you'll be compensated for your time.

*I am using you as a hypothetical here, not pointing at anyone in particular.
Lt. Commander
# 605
05-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Yeah.
Here's another lesson from the real world: You anger your customers, they will go elsewhere.

SOE lied to the media over and over again about how great the NGE was, and that it was the game that we "really wanted". Look at where they are today. Radioactive waste has a better reputation.

Cryptic seems to be racing with SOE to the bottom.
Lt. Commander
# 606
05-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Yeah.

The general player-base is content with much of what Cryptic is doing. From their own words they are meeting their target subscription numbers so you figure out how this is going....
Lt. Commander
# 607
05-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Proper business practice and marketing are also in the real world. Which one do you live in?
Lt. Commander
# 608
05-06-2010, 08:33 AM
It's not good business strategy at all. That's the funny part.
Word of mouth is a powerful thing, yes. How do you think potential players will react when the word of mouth gets out that Cryptic are attempting to make people shill for an incomplete game, for a GAMEPLAY item (fed cloak + cannon = whole new element for Feds).

Don't give me the "they all do it!" speech.
As has been pointed out, Blizzard waited for years before doing a referral program. It wasn't until after their first expansion that it went into full swing.
Even SWG didn't have the unmitigated gall to use a referral program offering gameplay exclusives within the first 4 months of it going live!

The key points here.
Too soon.
Too much.
Lt. Commander
# 609
05-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
Not listening! LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
Okay, I get it.
Lt. Commander
# 610
05-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Okay, I get it.
That seems to also be the official response from Cryptic too.
Closed Thread