Lt. Commander
# 21
05-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
We are in a state of war we need battle cloak!!!!
Maybe if the Federation was in a state of war with the Romulan Empire also... but since it isn't... nah.

Besides, a cloaked Starfleet goes against the very grain of what the Federation is in Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-05-2010, 08:32 PM
all things considered, the premise of STO kinda lends itself to allowing feds to have cloak. if memory serves me right, the federation is assisting the RSE to rebuild (which is why we are able to enter romulan space) while the klingons are making a push for Romulan territory. while (some) romulans do harbor a resentment towards the federation for the inability to help, much of the fights with the romulans have been involved in uncovering very cloak and dagger type anti federation movements. given the federations public stance of assisting the romulans, it wouldnt be a far stretch in the story for romulans to say something to the equivalent of "because you are assisting us in rebuilding our shattered empire and helping fight off the klingons, we can bend the rules on the treaty of algeron to allow you cloaking during these difficult times."
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Yes Fed cloaking devices, but in a limited capacity - only available on certain ships, or something like that. That way most Fed ships won't be cloakable, but a few will. Or even make it a C store item or something.

Just my opinion. Yours can be different. I don't have a problem with differing opinions.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-05-2010, 08:51 PM
I also think Federation should have some kind of limited or restricted cloaking. Perhaps they would only be able to activate it in certain sector blocks, sort of how the Defiant was only legally allowed to operate its cloaking device in the Gamma Quadrant. And I agree with the previous poster, only allow it on certain ships and that would prevent the majority of Fed characters from using it, but still allow a few. For balance purposes, there could be some kind of a trade-off if the ship was equipped with one. For instance, losing an engineering slot or a tactical slot.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
Sorry puppies... Federation cloaks may just be coming.

Dont like it ?
Dont play Star Trek Online.
What happens if that doesn't come to fruition?

You gonna quit?
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Hunter
The same treaty forbidding the cloaking device, also established the Neutral zone. In the game during the Commander missions, it clearly shows you can go in romulan space all you want without creating an interstellar incident. The Exploration missions in romulan space said that the advantage of this time was we could explore deeper romulan space.

If the Treaty of Algeron is gone but not the romulan empire, the feds can still get cloaks. Perhaps a cloak can be an admiral quest reward after helping complete the research on a Federation cloak, or just stealing a cloak from the Klingons or Romulans. It would be canon. The question is, will we get any?
The game map also shows clearly that there IS still a Neutral Zone. So the treaty hasn't been done away with altogether; Romulans have just chosen to enforce it less.

Sorry, but in "All Good Things...", that was an alternate timeline which had been avoided by the end of the episode- look at Worf and Riker. The Pegasus, the holoship from Insurrection, and the project from Endgame were all just illegal.

Fed Cloak is still a no-no.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Duck
What happens if that doesn't come to fruition?

You gonna quit?
Nope, Im just going to wait until Cryptic continue to sink to the point they come out with more additions.

Battle Cloak for an Exclusive Defiant comes to mind.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
Nope, Im just going to wait until Cryptic continue to sink to the point they come out with more additions.

Battle Cloak for an Exclusive Defiant comes to mind.
If that were the case I think I can predict how Fed PVP will look....

"Oh everyone has a defiant" How interesting and diverse

Lt. Commander
# 29
05-06-2010, 08:42 AM
The Federation does not need Cloak. If you want a ship that cloaks, please make a Klingon-faction character. You will be able to cloak to your hearts content. I take it that all of you who desperately want a Cloak for your Federation ship has never played a KvK House battle before. Besides, we of the Klingon Defense Force could use some new members! PvP queues are getting stale~ help solve the problem!

Secondly, I don't know anywhere that says the Treaty of Algeron has been nullified. If any of you could please site some sources, especially in-game sources, that would be stellar. Just because you can fly across the Neutral Zone and not cause "an interstellar incident" does not mean anything. It's a game, simply; The Romulan Star Empire is not able to enforce their borders as they used to considering the mass devastation of the Hobus Supernova. Allowing the player to explore Romulan space is a very nice idea-- for one, it's something unique for the player, and for two, allows the player to experience the plot revolving around the latest movie. This is hardly an argument for "Feds can cloaks nows!!"

I've not watched much of Voyager nor much of DS9; but I know that many of these reasons cited that the Federation should have cloaking technology comes from Alternate timelines, like in "All Good Things" -- and no, please don't cite the Galaxy X as a reason the Federation should have cloaking technology. The ship never really existed... it's simply a fun bonus for people to refer several friends to the game. If you guys watched the TNG episode with the Pegasus, then you know that cloaking device was developed out of bounds of the law and in an underground, underhanded sort of way. Not to mention all the research, and the device itself, was destroyed.

If the Federation gets cloak, then I demand equally strong hulls, more device slots, more consoles, and more tier5 ship types (Tactical and Science themed Battle Cruisers, and Engineer/Science themed Raptors)!
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Nope its not canon since they are alternate timelines that never happened.
In addition the romulan empire does indeed still exist, its just broken.
I saw we fix that and demand they become an extinct race (should make wrapping up their playable faction really easy) so we can have our cloak.