Lt. Commander
# 11
05-04-2010, 08:11 PM
OYYYYY

This is always posted no matter what game iam in, if its starwars it gets posted, if iam in startrek it gets posted. You know lets just get on with it. Let the Starwars and Startrek DuEL Begin!
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingorion View Post
I say Star Trek because there can't be any more Star Wars movies unless Luke turns evil and knocks up a princess.
Well obviously you are unaware of the books that cover like another 200 or more years after Return of the Jedi and thousands of years before The Phantom Menace. Suffice it to say there is plenty of material that could be covered in more movies, but we most likely won't see anymore.

As far as which one is better it's all a matter of opinion and everyone has one.

*puts on flame retardant body suit just in case*

I have a slight preference for Star Wars over Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-04-2010, 08:53 PM
star trek, simply because there is more content,, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-04-2010, 08:54 PM
They're both good, for different reasons. I prefer Star Trek more on the screen, Star Wars more as printed material, with an overall preference for Star Trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshign
Hm...the perennial question...

At this point, Star Trek.

Ok, the why- because at this point, I want to take George Lucas and string him on a rack for a few days for what he did with the series after Phantom Menace.
I'm confused...you want to put Lucas on a rack for what he did to the series after he made Phantom Menace or after you saw Phantom Menace?
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Leod
They're both good, for different reasons. I prefer Star Trek more on the screen, Star Wars more as printed material, with an overall preference for Star Trek.

I'm confused...you want to put Lucas on a rack for what he did to the series after he made Phantom Menace or after you saw Phantom Menace?
After I saw Phantom Menace...I can't stand what he's done from the first second of that movie up until today.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-04-2010, 09:24 PM
good lord... I hate to do this... but I have to...

In an all out fight... Star Wars owns Star Trek.

Reasons:
1. Hyperdrive can cross the galaxy in days rather than decades like in Star Trek

2. Industrial capacity in Star Wars is so great that they were able to build a second DS and even bigger in about 2.5 years I think it was.

3. Politics. The Empire is a hugely organized military powerhouse with hundreds of thousands of capital ships. The Milky Way is divided into numerous small powers that continually fight amongst themselves and rarely show any interest in helping one another.

4. Death Star. Do I really need to say more? Fine. It can destroy a planet, if you can wrap you head around this you will understand.

5. Weapons. Numerous on-screen examples (vaporizing asteroids, targeting incredibly fast-moving fighters)

Face it you Trek fans... Star Wars would crush the Milky Way if the two ever somehow met (wormhole?). You can try to technobabble your way out of it but that just means you're afraid to face the truth.

As for story value... I admit that Star Wars story is not wholey original... but neither are some of the Star Trek episodes.

Star Wars depicts an entire galaxy under the iron-tight grip of a dictator that make racism, miltants and extremest in our day and age look pathetic. Freedoms are revoked, representation in the State is done away with and the military can do whatever they want to whomever they want. The story brings you from this dark place and shines some light with just a few people who make all the difference against it all and win. And on the way there is a somewhat mystical, spiritual side to it with the traditional 'wise men' teaching the young man what he must do. This young man has his only relatives killed... and finds out that the man who did it is actually his father... can you imagine the pain that realization caused. And in the end, the good guys win and that young man shows faith in his father who cut off his hand and realizes he nearly ended up like him going into the dark. I agree that the prequels ruined alot of the story and we didn't get an Anakin Skywalker that we could fee sorry for with a 'fall from grace' but the original story is stil there and is as timeless and great as ever.

Star Trek has some shining moments outside of TOS that examines the human psyche and can really make you think and re-evaluate your views. There are indeed some AWESOME stories in Trek that excite my imagination to this day (Inner Light, Best of Both Worlds, In the Pale Moonlight to name a few).
Then again, Star Trek also contains some of the most hypocritical characters I've ever seen... Janeway is a murderous (Tuvix and every member of her crew that died on the way home), law breaking (broke the prime directive several times), psychopath who doesn't trust the regular crew members to do even marginally important tasks but assigns her top possy to do pretty much darn everything. There is Johnathan Archer and crew who would never pass as astronauts in this day and age. Their way of doing things in space is pretty much determined by rolling some D&D die and seeing their score.

Basically both stories have their low points and their shining moments storywise and characterwise. I'm done typing for now...
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Dooso: it isn't about a fight..violence inst the answer to everything! *PUNT* god!
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Choices, why did you give me this choice which is it ?, letís see Star Wars is better because, no NO wait star trek is superior to Star Wars due to , just a minute Iím wrong Star Wars is a cut above Star Trek because, bugger, I canít decide, they are both extraordinary in their own way.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaSamurai
Here's the thing.

Star Wars has more entertainment value, but because of this it sacrificed substance and originality. Star Wars deals with no issues whatsoever, the only thing even remotely close being the redemption of Anakin Skywalker. Star Wars has also been done in one format or another since the dawn of time. Literally thousands of other stories are exactly like SW. These stories all involve a fatherless protagonist with some kind of special power who is guided by some sort of wiseman confront his father, eventually the mentor must die, the son must face his father one final time etc. etc. etc.

Star Trek dealt with real issues that are still relevant to the human experience. The material in the shows made you think and ask questions of yourself. That is why I prefer Trek.
I agree with what Zona says here.

And yes, Star Wars Blaster technology is plasma based, but has also shown itself to be inferior to phaser technology. My evidence. Han shoots someone with his blaster. What happens? Person has a scorch mark on them and they might be dead.

Then Kirk shoots someone with his phaser (not on stun). What happens? Target vaporized.

Ship level action? In Star Wars it takes a significant flotilla several days to glass a planet. Star Trek, the TOS Enterprise acting alone can do it in two hours.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Quote:
And yes, Star Wars Blaster technology is plasma based, but has also shown itself to be inferior to phaser technology. My evidence. Han shoots someone with his blaster. What happens? Person has a scorch mark on them and they might be dead.
Vaporizing someone is un-necessary when the effect is the same. They're dead.

Phaser vs Blaster vs M14. First person to get hit dies one way or the other. Method of death is irrelevant.

Quote:
In Star Wars it takes a significant flotilla several days to glass a planet.
Actually, a single Star Destroyer is capable of reducing the entire surface of a planet to "molten slag" in very short order. Fast enough to prevent any distress calls from being sent from the planet itself.

That's from a single ship.

It's called a Base Delta Zero operation.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/...DeltaZero.html

With Star Wars turbolasers, we're talking about single blast yields in the teraton range, per shot. 60 heavy turbolaser batteries, 2-4 guns per battery, 1 shot a second, a whole lot of hurt.

I belive there's a canon source that states the range of a turbolaser blast to be roughly 10 light-minutes? I'll have to find that again.