Lt. Commander
Just as the title says, can we have a seamless sector space? I don't see this as impossible, since granted that you guys can mold the shards together to where maxing out one large shard holding more than the allowed users to make this game a more 'true' MMO experience.

Many reviews have complained about this, as how space isn't the great unknown....just boxes. If we can have one large server devoted to a massive scale sector space, it would (to me) make the game feel more like what Star Trek is...to boldly go where no one has gone before.

I would LOVE to hear some or ANY feedback from the devs of a possibility for such a change? Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeluztb View Post
Just as the title says, can we have a seamless sector space? I don't see this as impossible, since granted that you guys can mold the shards together to where maxing out one large shard holding more than the allowed users to make this game a more 'true' MMO experience.

Many reviews have complained about this, as how space isn't the great unknown....just boxes. If we can have one large server devoted to a massive scale sector space, it would (to me) make the game feel more like what Star Trek is...to boldly go where no one has gone before.

I would LOVE to hear some or ANY feedback from the devs of a possibility for such a change? Thanks.
been suggested many times before, and I even brought it up at one point, too... will it happen? probably not.. =(
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Quote:

This wouldn't be feasible with the engine's current model for bandwidth per shard, etc. and devs have shot it down.

You likely could eliminate the loadscreens/blocks if you just controlled the ship from your bridge.

The issue with that is that the devs designed sector space as the game's one true social hub. You may think they missed the mark on that and I'd be inclined to agree, personally, but the last I heard, their longterm plan was to make sector space look better, not eliminate load screens or add bridge control.

Personally, I would prefer strongly if they made navigation bridge control based and came up with alternate approaches to social hubs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Quote:

Amazing, really.

To date, NOBODY has succeeded in making a truly instancelessMMO of any real size. NOBODY. The onlyones that tried found out that because of the limitations of current hardware, it simply wasn't possible and went for a instanced system instead - inevitably angering people like yourself that don't realize what a truly massive undertaking that is;.

Whether it be masked by hiccups, loading screens, etc - ALL GAMES ARE INSTANCED. Even WoW is - you just don't notice the breaks due to some intelligent preloading. Let the servers get laggy, and it gets REAL noticeable.

Yet people natter on, not realizing the requirements for such a thing. Tell ya what, when gigaquad processors become the norm, and RAM can be installed in terabytes - THEN talk about doing this. Not before - the bansdwidth to do this on a multiplayer basis just doesn't exist at the current time.

Hell, the last SINGLEPLAYER game that tried it was Ultima IX onthe PC, and Metroid Prime on the consoles - and both of them had laoding screens to mask what they were doing as well (for Metroid Prime, it was the elevator sequences). Ultima IX was premature - and a utter disaster.

I suggest you study the requirements for making a basic MMO - one designed for (say) 3,000 simultaneous connectiopns (which in modern-day terms is really small). Do the calculations as to how poerful that server would need to be, to keep track of those 2000 people without any instancing. See how big a playground you can make, and watch it shrink as you add objects to it.

Then, come back here and try to suggest it intelligently, with some real concept of what goes on. (Just FYI - the world map in such a game would need to be held entirely within ONE SERVER's MEMORY SPACE - if you try to break it up between blades on a blade server, by definition YOU ARE INSTANCING, as you hand off player information between blades).

Again, get a clue before you ask for the impossible. Impossible with today's tech, anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Amazing, really.

To date, NOBODY has succeeded in making a truly instancelessMMO of any real size. NOBODY.
Hi.

World of ********.

EVE Online.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
Hi.

World of ********.
So you never saw a loading screen if you travelled from azeroth to kalimdor, interresting? Also you could count the model of many different servers to split up the community as instancing. Sure, their instances are theoretically a lot bigger than the instances in STO, but if you have ever experiencend 100+ people gathered together on the same point, then you could have seen how well WoW could handle that (not very well - have you seen the AQ openening event on your server?).
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelteel View Post
So you never saw a loading screen if you travelled from azeroth to kalimdor, interresting?
sure, but if WoW was made by Cryptic, you'd have a loading screen going between every single "area" on each continent, every time you went into a building in each area - a new loading screen.

WoW is as seamless as it gets, STO is probably the complete opposite.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Bridge navigation with a timer would require loading less instances. You could only have to load one when warping out of a sector (you load the bridge) and then one when warping into a sector. In the meantime, you'd be on your bridge.

The one thing that's missing to make that work is how to force people to be social and feel like they're part of a persistant world while on their ship in transit.

The best solution I can think of might not entirely cut back on load screens but my idea is:

You warp out.

You're on your bridge.

You tell the helm to set a course for a SECTOR BLOCK.

A travel timer engages. At the end of the travel timer, you get an option to return to tactical view.

You emerge in sector space in the destination block.

This way, you do get enemy signal contacts while en route to a planet and see other players once you arrive at a sector block but you avoid multiple load screens when crossing multiple sector blocks.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Quote:

Not until they raise the maximum numbers of players per instance, as far as I can tell.

You either get lonely out in space or see a dozen people on the sector map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
sure, but if WoW was made by Cryptic, you'd have a loading screen going between every single "area" on each continent, every time you went into a building in each area - a new loading screen.

WoW is as seamless as it gets, STO is probably the complete opposite.
WoW also doesn't support 100k per server - or cost an arm and a leg in energy costs.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
WoW also doesn't support 100k per server - or cost an arm and a leg in energy costs. If WoW had 100+ people gathered in the same instance, you'd have server chaos (like Ironforge lag).
WoW has more people per area than STO. I've never seen more than 40-47 people in a single instance ever. I played on a large population WoW server, and there was at least 100 people in the Orc captial city Orgrimmar at peak times, and the game ran fine.