Lt. Commander
# 21
05-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSDelphin
Thats true, I would have loved a seamless game but this is what we have.... Maybe in another 10 or 20 years someone will make a real Star Trek MMO...
Or maybe we'll get contacted by Vulcans and start a real Star Trek world.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I can see social hub pathing being an issue (at least interior-wise). Imagine 100 people at sol (ten times as many per map) - not only would there be more bandwidth consumption (as its 100 people connecting uses FAR more bandwidth than 10 instances of 10 people). There's also the performance impact that 100 people would have (unless there's more noticeable character "popping" as in WoW).

Possible but let's not forget WoW's Ironforge Lag - more tech will be needed in STO to support this (while acknowledging that the entire server must support far more players than WoW does).
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-05-2010, 02:09 PM
I think they could find a way to get this done. Given the time and resources. Maybe instead of shards they could just make a super shard where all of us, and our info is held.

Or this "super shard" could have a process where it loads up needed charcaters from a seperate dedicated shard that holds all of our info and releases it to the "active" shard on demand.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arzak13 View Post
I would however love to see them make Sector Space more like the Exploration areas. Lower the distance you can see other players, systems, and enemy contacts. Remove annoyingly huge solar system icons. Add options to hide the grid, or remove the walls and just have a popup telling people that we've entered deep space which would be empty (like what you get when you go to far in a system map).

I also think they could easily increase the size of zones by 2-3 times, as there is not much there being rendered.

If they did some/all of this it would make it a lot less ugly and claustrophobic.

Your idea is intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Sounds like a great idea. I like the idea of bridge control better masking all the sector transitions, turbolifts masking the in-ship transitions, etc kinda like the big sandbox games like GTA.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
Your idea is intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Sounds like a great idea. I like the idea of bridge control better masking all the sector transitions, turbolifts masking the in-ship transitions, etc kinda like the big sandbox games like GTA.
I too agree with his idea; it's simple and can be done (as the devs have said that they 'might' release a UI toggle where we can control what we don't like about Sector space).
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-05-2010, 03:34 PM
you got to remember that cryptics games are designed for the xbox 360 thats why they are heavily instanced and quite small in terms of area.

once you realise this it makes a lot more sence to the group sizing small zones and such. the thing is though that the champs online maps are huge compared to sto i mean pretty mamoth insize although there are only 5 zones might be 6 now.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't mind sector space too much; but sometimes I wonder why they aren't a little bigger. I could see them combining some of them, like regulus and sirius, etc. Right now, they're a little too small and fragmented.

As for WoW being better instance wise... It's a farse. Because at the end of the day you can't play with your friends who started up without you knowing, unless someone pays to transfer. It's "instancing" is done via separate game servers and clusters.

STOs is done via load screens.

It's a trade off. You'll never have to ask your friend playing STO "Oh hey what server do you play on?" That's a non-issue.

And it's better than WoW's design, if you ask me. I'll take 3 seconds to load every 10 minutes or so over never playing with my friends. I still can't play with some of my best friends because they simply rolled a different server. Sure I could pay the money, or they could, but you leave behind a lot transferring if each of you is well established. It's just a dumb predicament.

You guys are lucky to have the fortune of well written software these days. The amount of work that goes into making games like WoW and STO play the way they do is tremendous. Though it seems you arm chair think tanks always have thought of something we haven't =)
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Oh Ye Ghods, give me patiece with people who have no clue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
Hi.

World of ********.
Is indeed instanced - each continent has it's own "instance", and the transition points are the SHIPS/TELEPORTERS. Heck, even in-game the raid encounters are "instances".

In a seamless overworld, there'd be no need for the ships in Azeroth. Try again.

Quote:
EVE Online.
EvE? Don't make me laugh - each system is it's own instance - that's why one (or several) systems can go down and the rest of the game stays up..the transitions are the GATES, for cryin' out loud.

If EvE was truly seamless, there'd be no need for the gates OR for deadspaces.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-05-2010, 06:08 PM
maybe since STO won't be on consoles anymore they'll change the sizes and scopes of the sector blocks.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
maybe since STO won't be on consoles anymore they'll change the sizes and scopes of the sector blocks.
I really hope so; especially since that it's pretty much a fact now that it wont be porting to the consoles.