Lt. Commander
# 81
05-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov8tr
I'm not sure how they can fix it. But please do. I'm tired of playing inside a shoebox. Star Trek is suppose to be in the vast reaches of space, not my closet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeluztb View Post
Not saying that instanced is a bad thing, just hoping for a fix that would result in making sector space look really grand and borderless...or atleast just big boxes
Bigger Boxes. Please.
The biggest and most obvious place that needs larger boxes is sector space.
Unless Im going thru the transwarp conduit to Gamma Orionis Block, I really dont want to see a loading screen.

Loading screens for entering star systems fine (though it'd be great to have a better screen).

Loading screens for beaming to planets or stations, fine (though it'd be great to have a more appropriate screen)

But sector space? no loading screens please.

How hard would that change be on their engine?
I can see a need to change some enemy pathing so you dont end up with Cardassians wandering around Sirius or Romulans around Omega Leonis. but that's about it...

Cryptic, Bring down those walls!
Lt. Commander
# 82
05-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Well, you're arguing semantics. What's called an instance in one MMO isn't the same thing in another. Any developer (group or individual) can make an MMO and call each thing whatever they want. In other words, these are not terms with standard meanings. But it terms of STO...
Be that as it may, an apple is a fruit, but not all fruits are apples. An instance is a zone, but not all zones are instances. I'm just trying to make the distinction because many people in this thread do not.

In the context of an MMO, the term "instance" is derived from its actual definition:

instance [ˈɪnstəns]
n
1. a case or particular example

The implication is that there is more than one.

In order to accurately define my location in STO, I cannot simply state that I am in Regulus Sector Space. I must state that I am in Regulus Sector Space: instance #13.

Having loadscreens between zones in STO does not bother me at all, but having the individual zones divided into instances reduces my sense of immersion.
Lt. Commander
# 83
05-16-2010, 03:22 PM
I think this is STO's major falldown that turns many off , they see sector space for the first time and think WTF??????

Make the sectors as large as possible.
Give us a sector button on our UI to turn the grids on or off.
Cram as many players into a instance as possible.
Cut down as many loadscreens as possible.
Also make risla more social , a focal point.
Add major planets / fleet actionsand stations to transwarp.(once they hae been there ofcourse)

The likes of say big dig being empty for say RA levels , is that you go all the way there and noones there , so transwarp will let us jump around and play fleet actions easily.

This together with no real social hub makes it appear as a quick fix single player mmo.

You must give players socail hubs that work , sometimes i want to beam down to a planet and see other players , and the socail hub has to be instance free or at least very few instances.

Without it all , many will continue to leave once at end game as theres not alot to do there and cant continue to socilaise and have a spot of fun.
Lt. Commander
# 84
05-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _falcon
There seems to be a general misunderstanding of what is meant by the word "instance".

A game area being separated by a load screen does not by itself make it an instance. That makes it a "zone".
This was a good clarification, as people have been talking at cross purposes and not making much effort to understand the points others where trying to make. Of course in STO, sector space consists of zones which are instanced.

What it would seem easier to address is how the zoning works, specifically making transitions between zones. I agree with others who find it a bit jarring right now. Having it feel less boxy and having more seamless transitions between zones would really help with that.

The points about WoW and EVE are interesting - in the end, what players care about is perception, and there is more than one way to improve how sector space feels.

I'd also add that I think the social aspect is very important too. I'd really like to see more reason for players to be brought together (e.g. at Starbases). I've had really good interaction with other players, am looking forward to things like mini-games that might increase opportunities to meet and interact with other players.
Lt. Commander
# 85
05-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewzz View Post
I think this is STO's major falldown that turns many off , they see sector space for the first time and think WTF??????

Make the sectors as large as possible.
Give us a sector button on our UI to turn the grids on or off.
Cram as many players into a instance as possible.
Cut down as many loadscreens as possible.
Also make risla more social , a focal point.
Add major planets / fleet actionsand stations to transwarp.(once they hae been there ofcourse)

The likes of say big dig being empty for say RA levels , is that you go all the way there and noones there , so transwarp will let us jump around and play fleet actions easily.

This together with no real social hub makes it appear as a quick fix single player mmo.

You must give players socail hubs that work , sometimes i want to beam down to a planet and see other players , and the socail hub has to be instance free or at least very few instances.

Without it all , many will continue to leave once at end game as theres not alot to do there and cant continue to socilaise and have a spot of fun.
Very true, and I again agree with a) Increase Sector space or just merge most if not all together; b) cut down many instances so we have a more people and in that way we can actually remember our times together than just some quick pew pew and explosion; c) really really need more stuff to do in Risa, Vulcan, and Earth......
Lt. Commander
# 86
05-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _falcon
Be that as it may, an apple is a fruit, but not all fruits are apples. An instance is a zone, but not all zones are instances. I'm just trying to make the distinction because many people in this thread do not.
However, when it comes to STO, all zones are instanced. There are no non-instanced zones in this particular game. Even a player's bridge gets instanced under certain circumstances.