Lt. Commander
# 1 Reworking Klingon DSEs
05-05-2010, 03:46 AM
Okay, so I've been thinking a bit about Deep Space Encounters for Klingons, and how locations like the Kahless Expanse work. Would it not be a better idea to remove the Kahless Expanse from the sector map and have the functionality brought into line with the Federation by having the "defeat Federation task force" mission types represented as DSEs?

I assume the new enemy faction for Klingons in Season 2 will be located "east" [or Widdershins] of the Empire, so the sector blocks there could have roving bands of that faction's ships, but could we also not include Federation DSEs in the exploration clusters?

Does this make sense?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Hmm, do you mean you want the Kahless Expanse merged with exploration nebulas, so there are enemy ships flying around in sector space (like Feds see roaming Klingon, Romulan, Terran and Cardassian ships); you can 'talk to enemy contact' by approaching them; and still have the anomalies to scan for exploration missions?

If yes, I like the idea.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Great suggestion
05-06-2010, 09:17 PM
great suggestion we support this plan and if you would like to see action on great suggestion come join the High Council Fleet a think tank for KDF play
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
Hmm, do you mean you want the Kahless Expanse merged with exploration nebulas, so there are enemy ships flying around in sector space (like Feds see roaming Klingon, Romulan, Terran and Cardassian ships); you can 'talk to enemy contact' by approaching them; and still have the anomalies to scan for exploration missions?

If yes, I like the idea.
That's exactly it!
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
That's exactly it!
I don't know, that can backfire on us. I've seen it happen where the Defend XX Sector Block ends up being a suicide mission because high level players have thrown the map into adaptation mode and a Lt. or Lt. Cmdr is facing off against something that got beefed up to max level to fight the people that got sucked in.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm fine with Kahless, Chos etc as is, except I'd like to see greater option for the auto-grouping thing if you're so inclined. Its often more fun to go in as a team. The Defend missions get a tad boring as a Klingon - because putting together a team Unless your Fleetmates are on just stinks. This is all made worse by the fact that most of my chums are just waiting for a pve-storyline on Klingon side before coming back. FvF utterly ruined our pvp. I hate FvF, even as a Federation player. It feels like nothing more than a training exercise. Which is all well and good, but in the end ... I feel its choking out the Klingons. PVE storylines klingon side I suspect will help flood their ranks again, which would be nice. I like having a diverse and -different- enemy.

Related to this, I'd like to see mandatory Auto-Teaming in PVP zones. I wouldn't have it break initial teams entering a mission, but if it created meta-teams for the purpose of the encounter that would be really good. I dislike entering a pvp conflict and having to spend the first 5 or 10 minutes getting beat on and shot at just to get the team together, only to have a few guys leave the minute after the team is formed. To me this will really make PVP a much better system right off the bat, for those of us looking for a pick-me-up match. I grant it won't equate to the power of teamspeak, ventrilo or skype, but at least it'll give us a fighting chance when our fleetmates aren't available.

EDIT: My apologies for mentioning PVP when talking about this, but really these Expanses are just the alternatives to levelling PVP, so that when FVF came out we'd actually have something to do. I think a lot of the early Klingon players such as myself would have preferred FvF never came out, because it forced me into the Expanses. I get bored waiting around for my PVP queues, so I give up and go shoot things in expanses. I don't know if I'm the only one, but I doubt I am. Nowadays I just pvp when the killing bug gets too strong for me to handle, and I have to bear with my 30 minute boredom in ganalda. (Usually when I'm dumping gear out of inventory is when I do this). So please don't think I hijacked your thread, I just think the topic and issue is related.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
I don't know, that can backfire on us. I've seen it happen where the Defend XX Sector Block ends up being a suicide mission because high level players have thrown the map into adaptation mode and a Lt. or Lt. Cmdr is facing off against something that got beefed up to max level to fight the people that got sucked in.
On KDF side, you can pick different levels for the cluster. Like, you can take either 'Explore Lt. Commander' or 'Explore Commander'. If that translates to the roaming DSEs, you'd only see the ones of your current rank.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
On KDF side, you can pick different levels for the cluster. Like, you can take either 'Explore Lt. Commander' or 'Explore Commander'. If that translates to the roaming DSEs, you'd only see the ones of your current rank.
Odd, last I checked for the DSEs, if you didn't have the mission once you were past the recommended level the you were locked out of the zone, but then again I haven't bothered with the DSE missions for a while. I was only stating the experience I had while leveling my Fed alt.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-15-2010, 04:46 PM
How about having the Kahless expanse etc. automatically place you into an encounter? I frequently find that there are a number of people in the expanse who end up in their own instances - without actively seeking a team there's very little interaction with others.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-15-2010, 05:12 PM
DSEs are bugged. Sometimes, they spike to the level of the highest player, so if a RA5 enters a DSE in Sol, the lowbies suddenly have to fight against +42 level ships. Until... whatever happens, sometimes it fixes itself in the same battle, sometimes it doesn't. I also had it happen that I entered a DSE of the correct level for my rank, was alone in it, but the enemy ships were -14 levels.

In story missions, the level never changes, so if a RA5 teams with a Lt. Cmdr. 2, the enemies stay at Lt. Cmdr. level. Should be possible to do that for DSEs too. After all, there is no ranking like in Fleet Actions or Warzones, so a higher level player would only get the reward in skill points and merits/honor, and not take anything away from lower level players.