Lt. Commander
From talking with players in game and what I have often read in the forums, it is appearant that many people, including me, are more than just a little bit dissatisfied/disapointed with the way the whole pvp system works in STO. Many argue that the "primary focus of the game is NOT PVP". I strongly disagree with that statement. For now, there are only 2 playable factions and it is PLAINLY stated that the Klingons are intended to be primarily a PVP faction. That would make at least 50% of the focus of the game PVP. Here is a thought on a way to fix that situation and perhaps make the game much more enjoyable for those of us who are mostly in it for the pvp.

Typicaly in Star Trek, excursions into the neutral zone often result in tragedy for someone, usualy in the destruction of their vessel. My sugestion is this, make the center sector of the Eta Eridani sector block the REAL neutral zone. Basicly, this area would become an "open pvp" area. It would take away a relatively small amount of the usual space/ground war missions that are readily available in other systems, thus making it easy for players who do not want to pvp to avoid and have little impact on the pve game as it currently exists. There could posibly be something like a "patrol the neutral zone" mission for the Federation and a "Raid Federation outpost" mission for the Klingons. The mission parameters being to engagge in and actually WIN "x" number of battles against enemy ships/ground opponents in the neutral zone. The reward could be maybe after say 15 victories you get a rare weapon or maybe marks of valor or something....
Perhaps make it unlock when players reach tier 5 ranks. This would give those who have maxed out their ships and gear something productive to do after they "hit the wall" on leveling up. To take it a step further, in the future, the neutral could be made to be "faction controlled" after one side or the other wins "x" number of victories with a vendor that sells some sort of power buff or something if it is controlled for like more than a day.

Something of this nature is one of the main things really lacking in this game. I feel it would add a level of enjoyment that those of us who really love the pvp aspects of the game would sincerely appreciate.

If you agree, please post in here and keep the thread on the front page....hopefully, if enough people ask for it, Cryptic will take notice and try to implement something along these lines. So far, they seem to be trying pretty hard to get the players what they want most in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-05-2010, 11:19 AM
I give this a bump because i know open pvp sectore are somthing mosr players i feel would want.
Btw the devs have spoken of pvp sectors in the future, lets just hope this is somthing they will bring us before the summer is over...
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Man, I got seriously smoked by some Klingons in multiple salvage maps last night. It's just asinine how good they are at ganking.

Not really my thing, yet. But I gotta sign... for those who love pvp, they should get some kind of open pvp play somewhere. I think the neutral zone is a good spot for that. If I don't want to partake, I'll stay the hell out of Klingon territory =)
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rog View Post

If you agree, please post in here and keep the thread on the front page....hopefully, if enough people ask for it, Cryptic will take notice and try to implement something along these lines. So far, they seem to be trying pretty hard to get the players what they want most in this game.
I agree with you

I want a PvP system that is more than waiting an hour to play a match.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-05-2010, 11:36 AM
A concern we constantly have to deal with in MMO design is "how does this work on a team?" or "Is this something a team would want to do together?" or "how does this scale for a team?".

If anything, I'd think we want to lean more towards social game mechanics and away from single player activities.

Looking back on your own ideas - how would you tackle your idea on a team? Is it compelling to do on a team? What changes would you make to make it more team friendly?
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaesun
A concern we constantly have to deal with in MMO design is "how does this work on a team?" or "Is this something a team would want to do together?" or "how does this scale for a team?".

If anything, I'd think we want to lean more towards social game mechanics and away from single player activities.

Looking back on your own ideas - how would you tackle your idea on a team? Is it compelling to do on a team? What changes would you make to make it more team friendly?
That is where the idea of making it "faction contollable " comes into play.....the team would be the whole faction. You go in solo...you go in with your fleet mates......you meet up and group up with whoever happens to be in the sector. The general idea is that the factions are at war. So I suppose they would have to implement some sort of reward that you cant get anywhere else. Say some sort of shield repair unit that restores 50% sheilds for controlling the neutral zone for 24 hrs....maybe some sort of hull repair device that restores 50% hull for controlling neutral zone for 48 hrs....these are just suggestions....make them purchaceable from a "neutral zone coordinator" at like ganalda station for Klingons...Im not familiar with the Fed bases as I dont play a Fed character.. These rewarrds would need to be worth having to encourage players from each faction to participate in gaining and maintaing control for their faction.

The issue of how would it scale for a team would not really apply as the team is the entire playable faction.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
It would be nice if the DEV's would weigh in on the feasibility of this also.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Well, I had a smiliar thought.

THe Klingons and the Federation are supposed to be at war. In wars, there are objectives and goals. Places to capture, resources to hold and so on. What really OUGHT to happen is that an area of space, perhaps the area you suggested, should be designated a warzone. That is, ALL the planets and star systems are open PvP areas (as opposed to the instanced PvP areas we have now). The factions would enter the system and attempt to capture and hold it, for some general purpose (whatever that may be). The purposes would include both ground and space objectives.

That is, PvP in that area would be GOAL-ORIENTED, not just PvP for badges or what have you.

However, before this can happen, the factions need to have their balance addressed. At the moment, Klingon ships have a huge advantage overall, which is why you see so little PvP in general. No one wants to be cannon fodder. IF the sides can be balanced and competetive, you may see some actual PvP.

Anyway, that's my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Well, I had a smiliar thought.

THe Klingons and the Federation are supposed to be at war. In wars, there are objectives and goals. Places to capture, resources to hold and so on. What really OUGHT to happen is that an area of space, perhaps the area you suggested, should be designated a warzone. That is, ALL the planets and star systems are open PvP areas (as opposed to the instanced PvP areas we have now). The factions would enter the system and attempt to capture and hold it, for some general purpose (whatever that may be). The purposes would include both ground and space objectives.

That is, PvP in that area would be GOAL-ORIENTED, not just PvP for badges or what have you.

However, before this can happen, the factions need to have their balance addressed. At the moment, Klingon ships have a huge advantage overall, which is why you see so little PvP in general. No one wants to be cannon fodder. IF the sides can be balanced and competetive, you may see some actual PvP.

Anyway, that's my opinion.
what exactly is this "Huge advantage" the Klingons suposedly have? I keep reading about it....but I never see anyone saying specifically what it is. I'd like to know so I can take advantage of it before it gets nerfed lol. The game IS ballanced very well in fact....everyone has access to basically the same powers and abilities with just a few minor differences in some weapons effects, but this is insignificant because Federation or Klingon,you can aquire and mount any weapon type you want...I just dont see where this "Imballance" is.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-05-2010, 08:28 PM
There are several advantages. First, all the ships have cloaks, making it possible to choose where and when to attack. IF you cntrol the inititative, it's a huge advantage.

Second, all the ships are VASTLY more manueverable than the Federation ships. Federation Cruisers, in particular, are BARGES, being outmanuevered by every kind of klingon ship short of a carrier - yes, even klingon BATTLESHIPS can outmanuever Federation Cruisers. This allows the Klingons to choose and control what shield they're attacking.

Third, Klingon ships largely have an advantage in damage output, in part because they can ALL use cannons and Heavy Cannons.

Fourth, they have ships (Birds of Prey) with general Officer slots. This allows them to put whatever kind of officer they want in any slots, thus maximizing ability efficiency.

In exchange for this, they have very slightly weaker hulls and shields.

Consider the Tier 3 Federation Cruiser (Stargazer) and the Tier 3 Klingon Cruiser (K't'inga).

The Fed has 26000 hull and roughly 5700 shields and a turn rate of around 6 degrees. The Klingon has 27477 Hull and roughly 6000 shields (using the same covariant shield), and a turn rate of around 16 degrees.

In a typical PvP engagement, the Federation ship has dealt a rough average of 40k damage while the Klingon has dealt a rough average of 500k damage (this is with me captaining both ships - not at once - so your own numbers may differ somewhat...).

I understand the discrepancy evens out some at higher levels, but most people stop PvPing at low level becuse they can't compete. The result is no one PvPing at high level because they already gave it up.
Closed Thread