Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 111
05-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Just a reminder, if you haven't voted in Nagus' poll yet, you can do so here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=155549
Lt. Commander
# 112
05-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
Alright that's it Teranika, you refuse to get it and people should just stop trying.
I'm putting you on ignore and I suggest anyone with any sense do the same.
I think you need to put me on your ignore list too. As a matter of fact, anyone who disagrees with you needs to be put on your ignore list. We are just too civil minded for you.
Lt. Commander
# 113
05-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Adding rewards for difficult tasks is great, however, why is it almost every cool item been adding to the game these days (Bridges, ship variants, races) requires money to change hands, either by buying them though the C-store or by getting 5 people to buy STO. I'm more than aware Cryptic has to make money, hence why I happily paid for the game 'and' bought a lifetime subscription, but the C-store is been filled up with items quicker than alot of F2P ingame stores do. Worse yet, there seems to be very little been added for people not willing to buy though the C-store, which means there is little to strive for my completeing the game content, which i'd be fine with in a F2P MMO, but the is a game you pay to play!

Right now I'm no longer playing STO because I'm genuinely bored with nothing to actualy strive for, having a ship like the Galaxy-X, which is sounding like the most powerful ship on the Fed side with its power phaser and more importantly, cloak, as a ship you need to complete ingame content to get would be a great way to retain players, same goes for races, having races like the pakleds and caitians unlockable for completing quest chains would retain people and make them play, instead you have to buy these items and once you have them, there is no content to actually play to retain your interest. The referal program has just been the 'straw that broke the camels back' for alot of people with this trend of players having to pay extra for content when they are already paying monthly fees.
Lt. Commander
# 114
05-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm not a fan of the C-Store either; after all, I thought these kinds of things are what my monthly subscription helped to pay for? I can sort of understand certain things, I guess. But extra bridge layouts? Really? Why can't these be rewards for difficult missions? Or accrued after X amount of time spent paying for the game?

But complaining about the C-Store isn't what this thread is about.

Getting 5 people to purchase the game and pay for a months worth of subscription isn't comparable to buying things from the C-Store. For one, there's nothing "extra" being paid for. It's natural... it's no different than anyone else. I don't see nor understand the analogy, or why people buying the game is contemptible and encouraging this is bad form on Cryptic's part.
Lt. Commander
# 115
05-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly
I'm not a fan of the C-Store either; after all, I thought these kinds of things are what my monthly subscription helped to pay for? I can sort of understand certain things, I guess. But extra bridge layouts? Really? Why can't these be rewards for difficult missions? Or accrued after X amount of time spent paying for the game?

But complaining about the C-Store isn't what this thread is about.

Getting 5 people to purchase the game and pay for a months worth of subscription isn't comparable to buying things from the C-Store. For one, there's nothing "extra" being paid for. It's natural... it's no different than anyone else. I don't see nor understand the analogy, or why people buying the game is contemptible and encouraging this is bad form on Cryptic's part.
There's a couple hundred extra dollars going to Cryptic which may not have been generated at all if the carrot weren't being dangled. People who've already gotten other people to play, even through explicit and traceable means like passing out their buddy codes, aren't even getting tossed a bone for making the same 'contributions'. And someone can just shell out that money out-of-pocket if they have sufficient disposable income and not generate any actual new players.
Lt. Commander
# 116
05-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
There's a couple hundred extra dollars going to Cryptic which may not have been generated at all if the carrot weren't being dangled. People who've already gotten other people to play, even through explicit and traceable means like passing out their buddy codes, aren't even getting tossed a bone for making the same 'contributions'. And someone can just shell out that money out-of-pocket if they have sufficient disposable income and not generate any actual new players.
As for purchasing 5 extra accounts for this... well, if they're willing to pay that much money. Kudos! This kind of thing isn't unheard of; as far back as EverQuest I've played with people who multi-box... playing several characters, all under different accounts, at the same time. That's their prerogative, and certainly gives them an advantage over me-- solo player, doing my thing.

Personally, I'm glad they're starting a demo program. The one buddy key I got for buying the game wasn't enough. Several of my friends want to try the game, and I've already had to beg other people I know in-game for their buddy keys for my friends. So no, it's certainly not a dangling carrot for me. I've been wanting a traditional "free trial" for a while now. Everything else is just a bonus. I guess that doesn't apply to everyone, though. But hey, I don't see anything wrong with a recruitment drive.

But yeah, would be nice is past deeds would transfer. Can't argue with that!
Lt. Commander
# 117
05-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
Adding rewards for difficult tasks is great, however, why is it almost every cool item been adding to the game these days (Bridges, ship variants, races) requires money to change hands, either by buying them though the C-store or by getting 5 people to buy STO. I'm more than aware Cryptic has to make money, hence why I happily paid for the game 'and' bought a lifetime subscription, but the C-store is been filled up with items quicker than alot of F2P ingame stores do. Worse yet, there seems to be very little been added for people not willing to buy though the C-store, which means there is little to strive for my completeing the game content, which i'd be fine with in a F2P MMO, but the is a game you pay to play!

Right now I'm no longer playing STO because I'm genuinely bored with nothing to actualy strive for, having a ship like the Galaxy-X, which is sounding like the most powerful ship on the Fed side with its power phaser and more importantly, cloak, as a ship you need to complete ingame content to get would be a great way to retain players, same goes for races, having races like the pakleds and caitians unlockable for completing quest chains would retain people and make them play, instead you have to buy these items and once you have them, there is no content to actually play to retain your interest. The referal program has just been the 'straw that broke the camels back' for alot of people with this trend of players having to pay extra for content when they are already paying monthly fees.
Here's hoping that this thread doesn't degenerate.

Really, more than anything else this is what's of concern to me in this whole R5F thing. I've no problem with people getting 5 referrals getting something special. (Hell, at this point, getting five people to sign up and stay for two months is a not inconsiderable achievement.) I'd love such people to get some good recognition. I'm not even intrinsically opposed to them getting the Galaxy-X*. And I won't begrudge Cryptic trying to make more money and draw in more subscribers. But... and there's always a 'but'....

Well. Suricata put it a lot better than I. I know that we get a modest chunk of content for our subscription, and some more is on the way, but a nontrivial amount is going to the C-Store or to exclusives. I don't want it on a silver platter, and I don't just want it on the C-Store. In fact, I think putting the Galaxy-X on the C-Store is the WORST possible thing to do; we were constantly reassured that things like that were not what the C-Store was for. I strongly endorse the idea of making it -- or, at least, similar things -- available as part of long mission/episode chains (not grinds.)

As an example, I've been looking forward to the Caitans for a while now; but if there was some sort of quest chain to unlock them -- say,even just an episode, 'Mission to Cait,' to knock out a Klingon attempt at wooing or forcing them to their side** ... then suddenly it's worth a LOT MORE to me than just buying it off the C-Store.*** I remember in FFXI as a red mage, going for The Hat -- refugees from that game know *exactly* what I'm talking about. It took weeks if not *months* of in-game work to find a group that I could join that was going for it. (And refugees from that game know exactly what I'm talking about there, too. ) But when I got it? and the rest of my artifact armor? Damn... that was the business.

The thing is, though... I didn't need to go out and shill FFXI to five people (or even one person) to get it. I didn't have to pay Squeenix to get it. It was there, in the game, one of the biggest achievements I've ever gotten in a game despite loathing grinds. Now, I still dislike grindalicious games... but the grind goes away when it's not a grind, when it's a goal-oriented mission like how we already have in the game. Thinking about it, and pondering the issue of STO, long-term viability, and enjoyment... that's what I'd like to see more of. The kerfluffle surrounding the Galaxy-X exclusivity is a symptom, not really a cause.

The point is... where is the content for the people who are just playing the game?

* - I still would like a narrow-arc high-power phaser beam cannon to be available. ^_^ And I claim no other reason for this desire other than the Rule of Cool.
** - Since, you know, just like cats... when they're in, they want out, and when they're out, they want in.
*** - There is a difference between going out and asking five people to try the game (and possibly strong-arming them into staying for two months) and working towards something within the game. I will not say one is harder than the other; that's not the point. It's a different type of effort.
Lt. Commander
# 118
05-06-2010, 05:15 PM
It doesnt mater what shiny it is peopel will still want it and complain how they can't get it
Lt. Commander
# 119
05-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojen
It doesnt mater what shiny it is peopel will still want it and complain how they can't get it
Perhaps, but the indications are strong that it will be more than just a shiny.
Lt. Commander
# 120
05-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey Everyone,

I've placed this discussion in the feedback forums we just created for C-Store items and Promotions.

Thanks!

-Destra