Lt. Commander
The following is a collection of interconnected ideas I was jotting down during my absence from the forums. They are meant to be taken at face value. I just copied and pasted it from my notes. Please forgive me if something seems incomplete.

Exploration
===========
Player-Admiral-assigned exploration missions send captains into exploration zones looking for potential opportunities for expanding Starfleet infrastructure to further the war effort against the Klingon Empire. Planets discovered in this way are extremely random. Exploration of the surface area will detect sources of raw materials needed in a wide variety of applications. Completion of the mission will send the findings to the admiral who issued the mission, and he/she must decide if it is worth expending fleet resources on.

First-contact
=============
While exploring, new races will be discovered, their planets in varrying state of technological progression. based on the importance of a planet's resources to the war effort, captains must make a judgment call as to whether or not first contact is apropriate. Satelites in orbit of planets can be scanned to get an idea of the geopolitical condition of the planet. If it is a pre-warp civilization, First Contact is not advised. If it has achieved warp drive, or is at least on the verge of achieving it, First Contact is permitted. However, knowing the social conditions of the planet would be wise. Some civilizations may be bent on conquest, and getting involved with them might prove to be more trouble than it is worth. A lot of diplomatic missions to that world would be required to keep its relationship with the Federation amicable. Some civilizations may be peaceful and willing to share resources freely with the Federation. Some planets may not even have civilizations on them and will be free for the claiming...

Diplomatic Missions
===================
If a planet has been discovered as having useful resources, and an admiral has determined that they are worth pursuing, Captains with high diplomacy ratings can be sent to negotiate trade agreements between the federation and that world. Some civilizations will want resources at a cost of other resources, with a weekly quota. What they want will be entirely random, so an admiral must weigh the costs accordingly. One's fleet may stockpile resources for the purpose of diplomatic trade. Imagine a civilization that wants 300 units of medical supplies each week in exchange for 100 units of Tritanium per week. Depending on how badly the tritanium is needed, and how efficient the admiral's fleet is at producing or procuring medical supplies, this may or may not be a good investment. Captains will need to have equal or greater diplomacy to the planet's ambassador to deliver the goods.

Resources
=========
Resources come in all sorts of varieties. Food supplies, Medical supplies, Power Generators, Raw Materials... all sorts. While a lot of base components can simply be replicated for energy credits, large components must be constructed through the use of raw materials. Starships, Starbase modules and ground installations require members of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers to build them. And they take a lot of resources. Space is vast, and largely unexplored, so resources are potentially limitless, but they have to be sought after and obtained, either by trade or production. Explorers find the sites where resources are bountiful. Ambassadors go to those sites to negotiate trade agreements or mining permissions. But the flow of resources, however they are obtained, is vital to the war effort.

Admiral Ranks
=============
Rear Admiral (lower half) [ // ] 5 levels
Rear Admiral [ // // ] 5 levels
Vice Admiral [ // // // ] 10 levels
Admiral [ // // // // ] 10 levels
Fleet Admiral [ // // // // // ] 10 levels

Administrative Points
=====================
At every level within the admiralty, characters gain an administrative point. so at Rear Admiral 5, one can have 5 administrative points. At Fleet Admiral 10, one will have 40 administrative points. These points can be distributed into different categories: Starships. Starbases. ground Installations. Space Installations. Personnell.

Each of these categories is divided into two sub-categories: Commission and Deployment.

Commission determines how many elements of a particular category that an admiral can have constructed (or conscripted in the case of personnel) and placed in his fleet's reserves. Deployment determines how many elements of a particular category in a fleet's reserves that an admiral can have deployed. When an admiral's commissioned element is deployed or decommissioned, he recovers commission points. elements cost different amounts to commission. When an admiral's deployed element is recalled or eliminated (destroyed or killed) he recovers deployment points.

It is up to each admiral to decide what sort of administrative duties he or she will focus on. Commissioning makes resources available to one's fleet. Deploying puts those resources into actual operation.

Commissioning And Deploying Mining Facilities
=============================================
A fleet's ability to sustain itself and provide adequate support to the war effort relies on the production and flow of raw materials. When a captain locates a suitable site for mining, if no negotiation is immediately needed, an admiral may use his administrative points to commission the construction of a mining facility. The facilities are constructed in the form of modules which must be transported to the site by an engineer-captain if deployed. This can be done in multiple trips with one captain or one trip with multiple captains. Once a mining facility is deployed, it still requires personnel and equipment before it can be brought online. Equipment is similar to that which one may equip his/her ship with, though only the sort of equipment that is appropriate to a mining facility would work. Things like Phaser Drills, Extraction Systems, Cooling pumps, storage modules and so forth. It also will require constant upkeep in the form of supplies and replacement parts, many of which can be replicated by any captain. See "commissioning and deploying personnel" for information on manning a mining facility.

Commissioning and Deploying Starbases
=====================================
Starbases come in two forms: ground bases and Space Stations. Their purpose is to bolster military presence in planetary systems and thus adding to the number of target objectives an enemy factiom must take out to capture that region. A fleet may deploy only one base at a time to any given region, but any number of fleets may deploy to the region. So if an attack on Vulcan is suspected, Every federation player fleet with the ability to deploy military installations may deploy them at vulcan to make such an attack more difficult to carry out. As soon as an enemy fleet drops out of Warp, they will encounter a space station and NPC federation fleet optimized from resources deployed by the corresponding federatin fleet to best deal with the threat. See also, Deploying Starships

Commissioning and Deploying Starships
=====================================
Starships are the front line of defense for strategic loctions throughout Federation Space. When commissioned, a Starship is constructed at a shipyard belonging to the fleet the ship is being commissioned for. While ship systems may be replicated or produced at Memory Alpha, the ships themselves require physical construction. large-scale components produced at refineries are transported to the shipyard for installation in the ship that is under construction there. Once a ship is constructed, it must be equipped and crewed before it can be deployed. When a ship is constructed it automatically is assigned to the same location as the shipyard and can be deployed from there. When a Starship is deployed to a region, its travel time is calculated based on the priority of the mission.

Very Low priority = 20% of maximum warp
Low Priority = 40% of maximum warp
Medium Piority = 60% of maximum warp
High Priority = 80% of maximum warp
Very High Priority = 100% of maximum warp

At every 10% of the trip, there is a 50% possibility of an event occurring, modified by the region the ship would be in at that point.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Well... I keep reading stuff that all you admirals have posted about how there's nothing to do at RA5. What are your thoughts about these suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
bump. should change the tite of the thread to make it more alluring
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I think the first problem is that a lot of people feel like they shouldn't be admirals in a ship out pew-pewing things. Admirals should probably be doing the things you're describing above but we're too busy pew-pewing things. It's definitely something I could see us doing as end-game once we get to RA10.

The real issue isn't that the things you've listed aren't good ideas. The real issue is that even the simplest of your ideas would take many, many months to implement into the game. I'm all for it though. Doing real Admiral stuff would make for an interesting end-game, IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I think the first problem is that a lot of people feel like they shouldn't be admirals in a ship out pew-pewing things. Admirals should probably be doing the things you're describing above but we're too busy pew-pewing things. It's definitely something I could see us doing as end-game once we get to RA10.

The real issue isn't that the things you've listed aren't good ideas. The real issue is that even the simplest of your ideas would take many, many months to implement into the game. I'm all for it though. Doing real Admiral stuff would make for an interesting end-game, IMO.
I agree with you. But Cryptic's vision is not the same as ours. This is why what I suggest here tries to hook into mechanics that already exist in one form or another. That way, it only requires adaptation rather than laying out entire new mechanics for everything.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-05-2010, 01:06 PM
As a Navy Veteran, I can tell you that real Rear Admirals command fleets. I like the idea of fleet commands.

Since there are bridge officers in the game. I think it would be cool to promote our bridge officers to Captains and purchase them lower-tier ships. Then we as Admirals would command fleets.

These minifleets would be your T5 ship and 4 lower tier ships: a mix of T4, T3 and T2 ships.

It would be kind of like the old PC game Star Trek Armada 2...
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800lbGorilla
As a Navy Veteran, I can tell you that real Rear Admirals command fleets. I like the idea of fleet commands.

Since there are bridge officers in the game. I think it would be cool to promote our bridge officers to Captains and purchase them lower-tier ships. Then we as Admirals would command fleets.

These minifleets would be your T5 ship and 4 lower tier ships: a mix of T4, T3 and T2 ships.

It would be kind of like the old PC game Star Trek Armada 2...
You would not enjoy it.....

It would be like ground combat. BOFF AI as it stands is pretty bad, they would just get you killed over and over again.

Join a fleet and run with fleet-mates in a team, each can take turns being "The Admiral", that would be your fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-05-2010, 06:16 PM
That RA having fleets idea kinda doesn't sit right with me as you would only use this fleet in single player explore mission.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-05-2010, 11:55 PM
We've been told that First Contact and Diplomatic missions are coming. I'll wait until I see them on Tribble before I comment on them, except to say that they are needed for this game.

We already have Exploration missions, and as lame as they are, I welcome any improvement of them.

On Commissioning Starbases, Starships and Mining Facilities:

I really like the idea of including this type of "Admiral Level Content." Adding things like this not only adds end game content, but it also introduces sandbox elements and makes a player feel like an Admiral. If done with sufficient complexity, it could add an entire new game play style. Sort of like an RTS (only without the Rapid) within the MMO. Earning and deploying assets like ships and bases to various star systems could also give something for Fleets as a whole to do.

As various bases are commissioned and Starships deployed, trouble spots where coverage is insufficient could develop, problems that require the direct presence of the Admiral himself to resolve. In this way, not only do you have a Strategic Game, but it also introduces new - non STF - content into the game. I would even go so far as to make these trouble spots designed for multiple players, thus requiring the Admiral to assemble a team of players to resolve. In this way, they'd be like mini-fleet actions that pop up now and again. Sort of like a PvE version of the planned "take and hold systems" expansion to PvP.

Starbases and mining facilities should cost resources to set up, perhaps your administrative points or maybe just Merits, but once they are online they could generate resources for the Admiral's Fleet. They could also be used to provide more sandbox options. Like customization and expansion of said bases and mining facilities.

They could also provide other options. Operational Starbases could provide a transwarp conduit into the sector block in which they are located. Mining Facilites could provide the raw materials for crafting, thus making a crafters job easier. Both could also provide Energy Credits for the Fleet's bank and/or Merits for the members of the fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Well... I keep reading stuff that all you admirals have posted about how there's nothing to do at RA5. What are your thoughts about these suggestions?
I think the diplomatic stuff and the first contact stuff is already in the works.