Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 111
05-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
I have no right to silence them, no.
I do have a right to yell at them, though.
No argument from me there.

Quote:
Not to this degree, and not with such a high stakes item.
It's also a terrible standard.
Unfortunately, as President JFK and so many others have put it, life is not fair. The standard is what the standard is. And you know who made it the standard? It wasn't WoW, or Eve, or SWG or any of the companies that run those games. It was the customers who went along with it who made the practice the standard that it is in the industry today.
Lt. Commander
# 112
05-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
I know exactly what that entails.

"Do the work" is you go out and find 5 other people who would be interested in playing STO and becoming a subscriber to the game. Those 5 people will need to purchase a retail copy of the game in addition to paying at least 1 months worth of subscription fees.

Word of mouth can be a very effective means of promoting a product. Most every business out there uses it and has promotions that involve their customers helping to "spread the word".

Laziness and an unwillingness to do what is required to get something you want is not a justifiable excuse. If you want it, earn it. They have told you how, you just need to put forth the effort.
if you dont have five friends who like mmo's or star trek, then you cant. nothing to do with being lazy its just impossible to complete

if you do have friends but have already recommended them then they no longer count towards your five.

if you do recommend five people but all five chose not to sub then again you cant do anything about it

its not a case of effort, its a case of practicality
Lt. Commander
# 113
05-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q

Unfortunately, as President JFK and so many others have put it, life is not fair. The standard is what the standard is. And you know who made it the standard? It wasn't WoW, or Eve, or SWG or any of the companies that run those games. It was the customers who went along with it who made the practice the standard that it is in the industry today.
You may have a point. However I played WoW before this referral nonsense came up.
Here, now, in STO, I and many many others say clearly: We will not stand for it.
Lt. Commander
# 114
05-06-2010, 06:42 AM
The growing threadnaught about this says no (and so do I)
Lt. Commander
# 115
05-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
I know exactly what that entails.

"Do the work" is you go out and find 5 other people who would be interested in playing STO and becoming a subscriber to the game. Those 5 people will need to purchase a retail copy of the game in addition to paying at least 1 months worth of subscription fees.

Word of mouth can be a very effective means of promoting a product. Most every business out there uses it and has promotions that involve their customers helping to "spread the word".

Laziness and an unwillingness to do what is required to get something you want is not a justifiable excuse. If you want it, earn it. They have told you how, you just need to put forth the effort.
On the flip side, good word of mouth has to be worked for and earned.

As it is, neither Cryptic or this game has positive word of mouth right now. Because neither have earned it. This game is NOT anywhere close to the standards of a post-release AAA, A, or even "Solid B+" MMO title. Over half the game is missing. True, they plan to add what is missing, but it's going to take at least the rest of this year.

To have to resort to such a cynical marketing gimmick with an exclusive alpha class ship as an inducement speaks volumes about the character (as in lack thereof) of the management at Cryptic. It screams "Our CEO used to work for John Smedley at SOE" (which is actually true).

The NGE proved that marketing, packaging, and spin cannot overcome genuine negative word of mouth.
Lt. Commander
# 116
05-06-2010, 06:43 AM
vote casted..

Hopefully the devs can see this Thread/POLL and think twice of what the consumer wants..
Lt. Commander
# 117
05-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
No argument from me there.

The industry today?

Micro-transactions of this level are actually rather experimental in the U.S. for fee-based MMO's. I would actually venture to say that the profitability of STO will determine the viability of said market strategy. "Going where no business has gone before" if you will.
Lt. Commander
# 118 Grief
05-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Well in the stages of grief I have achieved the bargaining stage. As long as the admiral 5.5 ships are as capable in a slugfest with a Galaxy-X then I am OK with it. If on the other hand the Galaxy-X is OP vs the 5.5 ships then the Galaxy-X should be made available through at least one other channel other than the recruit a friend path.
Lt. Commander
# 119
05-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Quote:
You're unbelievable. Laziness? I'd have a hard time getting 5 people to look at STO, let alone buy the game and subscribe for one month!
Ok, so? How is this Cryptic's fault?

Quote:
What do you expect people like me to do? Go door to door advertising the game? What? That's not word of mouth, that's being a salesman!
I won't tell you what you should do at all. You are the one who needs to come up with a way to get what you want.

In a way, yes it is being a salesman. That's why you'd be rewarded with C-Store points and the Galaxy X class ship! Your effort would be rewarded. What part of that do you not understand?

Quote:
And what about people who already got friends to play STO? I guess they're lazy too right?
On this part, I agree with you 100%. Personally, I believe this should apply to those who have already invited other via trial keys and refer a buddy program. It seems as if that won't be the case and I do find that unfair, but that's life for you.
Lt. Commander
# 120
05-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Quote:
You may have a point. However I played WoW before this referral nonsense came up.
Here, now, in STO, I and many many others say clearly: We will not stand for it.
But it eventually did come up, and it became the standard because of those who supported it by going out and getting friends, or creating extra accounts that fall under these types of programs.

You and many others may not like it, and may not even stand for it, and I wish you luck in trying to change this decision. However I have a feeling that this programs is going to be a huge success and I would be very surprised if any change comes out of it.