Lt. Commander
DISCLAIMER: This is not a flame bait thread. So if possible please limit responses to a constructive analysis of the post and or information/opinions of all posters.

I got to looking back at Dstahl's posts from today and yesterday in this section and I got the feeling that he was conveying a "vibe" if you will. One akin to a candy sweet tart. While some of his posts had a hint of comedic intent, the almost felt like they were flavored with a tad of sarcastic angst.

So, that got me to thinking that possibly with all this outpouring of anger and frustration that we have had over the RAF we might have gone a bit too far. Now, I recognize that some people don't care if we (as a community) have gone too far in our push back. Those folks aren't going to take this thread seriously anyway, I doubt.

Allow me to explain. Some of us have been here since the beginning. Yadda Yadda Yadda old timers, that sort of thing. In that time we have had Salegate. Lifergate, etc. Honestly, too many gates for me to remember them all. Some I cared about and some I didn't. Now, we have referralgate. In each case, there has been two parties, us and Cryptic/Atari. (Although I blame salegate on Atari not Cryptic). So in effect, we have created or they have created, depending on your point of view, a us verses them mentality so to speak.

I can't think of any manner is which that mentality is a good thing. I would tend to think it is actually a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying don't tell Cryptic how you feel about a certain action or elements of gameplay etc. I am also not suggesting that we flower them with roses and hugs either. All I am saying is that after Dstahl told us he went to the CEO about this RAF program and that it wasn't going to change. Maybe, just maybe we should have accepted that we were not going to succeed in our desire to have it changed.

Personally, I don't think laying the blame on anyone is helpful in this case, as to be honest the only people who will really suffer is us the community.

Just wanted to share these thoughts with you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-06-2010, 11:56 PM
So you think we should drop it? Daddy said no so that's it? Sorry bro but you gotta keep fighting the fight.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2010, 12:00 AM
I think you are right, and I've had this sneaking suspicion that things are not all rosy at the studio (in fact i heard they are not, by someone associated with them). There are in fact a lot of things I want to say, but don't for the simple consideration that they may be just as disheartened with the way things turned out as we are... but for which are beyond their control.

Not to mention the fact that there have been several high profile people who have left the company (Awen, Gozer, Daeke, Shane Hensley, and a few nameless others that have posted here and there) and some not so high profile people who have made their way to the forums to post their thoughts and how they wished things had gone differently.

There very well may be a slight sense of exhaustion on their part. As I've said before... they are forced into this position of constantly churning out light content at a fast rate because they HAVE to in order to keep the subscriber based interested. Instead of giving themselves time to breathe and a length of time to work on something grand and big on the horizon they are forced to work harder and more quickly. And for their efforst, they see a bleeding subscriber base, and a consistently unhappy forum community.

I for one will be cutting back to give them time and a break. A smart idea, or a clever one, isn't necessarily a wise idea. And I wish they would consider more carefully (or hire me, as I can work magic). While it might be wise to say to keep fighting... on the other hand I personally am getting tired. Espescially after the recent spate of being targeted and discriminated against by Phoxe... I just don't feel inclined to bring constructive ideas to the table any more.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTate View Post
So you think we should drop it? Daddy said no so that's it? Sorry bro but you gotta keep fighting the fight.
I am not saying lay down and roll over and play dead. I am not suggesting anything of the sort. I am only asking that we stop and look at the situation. It is better for the community if we keep having angry threads about the RAF or should we tone it down some, while still expressing our desire for the situation to change? To be honest, I can't answer that for myself right now, much less offer a suggestion of the sort to anyone else. Hence the reason why I decided to share these thoughts with the community.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Welcome to the forums. We always go too far. Like TNT, We Know Drama.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
I think you are right, and I've had this sneaking suspicion that things are not all rosy at the studio (in fact i heard they are not, by someone associated with them). There are in fact a lot of things I want to say, but don't for the simple consideration that they may be just as disheartened with the way things turned out as we are... but for which are beyond their control.

Not to mention the fact that there have been several high profile people who have left the company (Awen, Gozer, Daeke, and a few nameless others that have posted here and there) and some not so high profile people who have made their way to the forums to post their thoughts and how they wished things had gone differently.

There very well may be a slight sense of exhaustion on their part. As I've said before... they are forced into this position of constantly churning out light content at a fast rate because they HAVE to in order to keep the subscriber based interested. Instead of giving themselves time to breathe and a length of time to work on something grand and big on the horizon they are forced to work harder and more quickly. And for their efforst, they see a bleeding subscriber base, and a consistently unhappy forum community.

I for one will be cutting back to give them time and a break. A smart idea, or a clever one, isn't necessarily a wise idea. And I wish they would consider more carefully (or hire me, as I can work magic). While it might be wise to say to keep fighting... on the other hand I personally am getting tired. Espescially after the recent spate of being targeted and discriminated against by Phoxe... I just don't feel inclined to bring constructive ideas to the table any more.
You make some good points here. We don't have a clear picture of what is happening in the Studio. So perhaps some consideration is in order.

I would like to add, I don't think you should stop bringing constructive ideas to them or the community.
Lt. Commander
# 7
too far? Not at all.

A polished turd is a polished turd and people have a right to be upset about it.
If the people who polished that turd are upset by the critics then they did not polish hard enough.

acceptance brings mediocrity. Defiance brings change.
Lt. Commander
# 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
I am not saying lay down and roll over and play dead. I am not suggesting anything of the sort. I am only asking that we stop and look at the situation. It is better for the community if we keep having angry threads about the RAF or should we tone it down some, while still expressing our desire for the situation to change? To be honest, I can't answer that for myself right now, much less offer a suggestion of the sort to anyone else. Hence the reason why I decided to share these thoughts with the community.
Honestly I think getting angrier is the solution here. Short of name calling of course.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by personae
Welcome to the forums. We always go too far. Like TNT, We Know Drama.
We can take solace in the fact we don't have to deal with Ted Turner.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Another poor decision by Cryptic/Atari.
That is all.