Lt. Commander
# 101
05-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I remember reading somewhere, don't remember where, that paired nacelles were simply found to be more efficient than odd-numbered designs so they don't normally use them. (As an in-universe explanation.)

The canonicity of that statement, of course, is highly questionable at best, as I don't even remember where I read it.

("Canonicity" being a word is also highly questionable, at best.)
Lt. Commander
# 102
05-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Francis View Post
I remember reading somewhere, don't remember where, that paired nacelles were simply found to be more efficient than odd-numbered designs so they don't normally use them.

The canonicity of that statement, of course, is highly questionable at best, as I don't even remember where I read it.

("Canonicity" being a word is also highly questionable, at best.)

I also read that elves live with Santa but read elsewhere that they are quite abundant in their native Iceland. fantasy eh? Who would have thought it's so difficult to make **** up?
Lt. Commander
# 103
05-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
I also read that elves live with Santa but read elsewhere that they are quite abundant in their native Iceland. fantasy eh? Who would have thought it's so difficult to make **** up?
Well it was in a published Trek book but I don't remember which.

But then, all of Star Trek is made up too, so I suppose you are correct.

I edited my original post to mention that was given as an in-show explanation, not a real life one, but you were too fast for me.
Lt. Commander
# 104
05-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxe
Heh, I am actually pretty well versed in warp theory. I'd never bothered to look it up on Wiki before, though. That's pretty awesome!

I just realized just how incredibly nerdy it is to say something like "I'm pretty well versed in Warp Theory" - what, do I think I'm living in the Star Trek universe or something?
You could always just use the Memory Alpha wiki on nacelles, and Rick Sternbach once mentioned that a starships warp nacelles usually had multiple sets of warp coils (forming two long rows) contained within them, so even with one you can still generate a warp field. Though the danger is if you lose that engine you're pretty much stuck, two or more are used on most starships because of redundant backup concerns more than anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 105
05-07-2010, 05:30 AM
This 2 Nacelles or even numbered necelles *rule* is just as much of a rule as "Spaceships can't fire Phasers at Warp".... that wasn't realy a rule for long.

There are enough Ships with one or 3 necelles allready to prove it wrong and those ships are Canon so we gonna have to live with it.
Lt. Commander
# 106
05-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
This 2 Nacelles or even numbered necelles *rule* is just as much of a rule as "Spaceships can't fire Phasers at Warp".... that wasn't realy a rule for long.

There are enough Ships with one or 3 necelles allready to prove it wrong and those ships are Canon so we gonna have to live with it.
I haven't seen any. 'Official' Star Trek canon doesn't extend past the TV shows or the movies. The includes the technical manuals, novels, RPGs and so on. If it isn't in the TV show or the movies it's not 'canon'.
Lt. Commander
# 107
05-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brex2 View Post
Please :p
It's one of those ships that never should have been... it doesn't work by Gene's laws
BWhaaahahha!! This is funny! Gene's law indeed. First it was vision and now its laws, what next? Does we make Gene a prophet?
Star Trek was his idea true enough, but it was/is a bussiness idea that he was very succeful with - nothing more/nothing less.
I find it funny the cult-ish level at which descriptions like vision and laws get thrown around on this forum when it comes to Gene Roddenberry. Its time to take hime down off the pedastal and just admit that Gene was a talented and creative man,but nothing more than that.
Lt. Commander
# 108 Galaxy Class
05-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius_Bonaparte
The Enterprise D was the first of it's kind. Many more were made after that. By the time of All Good Things only around 35-40 years have passed since the Enterprise D was launched. I can't believe that the Excelsior could still be in service after 90 years and the Galaxy wouldn't be after only 40. If you have proof somewhere that the Galaxy isn't in service I'll gladly concede on that point.
I believe you are mistaken. If I remember correctly, the ST TNG Tech manual lists the USS Galaxy as the prototype followed by the Yamato, and then the Enterprise-D.
Lt. Commander
# 109
05-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sol
I haven't seen any. 'Official' Star Trek canon doesn't extend past the TV shows or the movies. The includes the technical manuals, novels, RPGs and so on. If it isn't in the TV show or the movies it's not 'canon'.
There were one-nacelle and 3-nacelle designs in the Wolf 359 debris field (they really went into an orgy of kitbashing for that one). The 4-nacelle Cheyenne class, which is the canonical anchor class for the tier-3 cruisers, is from that set. If you're wondering why the nacelles on it look funky compared to other Galaxy-era things like the Nebula, it's because they used drafting markers they had lying around the office instead of putting together more Galaxy nacelles.
Lt. Commander
# 110
05-07-2010, 06:51 AM
You mean the ship that people are boycotting STO for that's so exclusive and cherished amongst trekkies to be taken away? I agree. That is one fugly piece of ship. Glamor plays a big part in our killing.