Lt. Commander
# 41
05-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Did you know that airplanes MUST have propellers?

Did you know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to travel beyond the speed of sound?

Did you know the Earth is flat?

Yes, Gene said that about the nacelles, about the designs and the requirements. But, like so many things throughout history, they change through time. It used to be that aircraft couldn't pass the speed of sound. Then it used to be they couldn't without making a sonic boom. Now? They can do it like it's nobody's business and be silent about it.

Engineering problems get solved, is what I'm saying. Yeah, maybe in TOS it had to be a certain way, but time's moved on and up. Maybe it doesn't have to be that way anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp4ge View Post
I just wanted to point out a few instances of "un-even" nacelle counts.

The USS Kelvin in JJ Trek

The instance in Twilight when Enterprise was able to go to warp on 1 nacelle.

The instance in Year of Hell when Voyager was able to do the same.

I want to believe in Roddenberry's laws, but the canon seems to be drifting away from them.

And then there's the instance of the Prometheus's saucer nacelles having 0 line of site.

And the Melbourne having 2 completely different sized nacelles..tho I'm not sure if that matters.
1: Brand new ship even though from early in the timeline. Let's not forget, in JJTrek anything goes.
2: Irrelevant: That's being able to run on 1 engine and has nothing to do with the design stipulation of an even number of nacelles ( which is what Gene said, he did not say "an even number of warp coils" )
3: irrelevant: see 2:
4:: I disagree. 50% visible means across the beam of the ship. Or side on if you will. Prometheus clearly falls within this rule as it does on the forward facing view rule.
5: I'm not sure that matters either. Nobody said anything about equality in size.
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocuous9
Did you know that airplanes MUST have propellers?

Did you know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to travel beyond the speed of sound?

Did you know the Earth is flat?

Yes, Gene said that about the nacelles, about the designs and the requirements. But, like so many things throughout history, they change through time. It used to be that aircraft couldn't pass the speed of sound. Then it used to be they couldn't without making a sonic boom. Now? They can do it like it's nobody's business and be silent about it.

Engineering problems get solved, is what I'm saying. Yeah, maybe in TOS it had to be a certain way, but time's moved on and up. Maybe it doesn't have to be that way anymore.
did you know that you are confusing science with science fiction?
Gene could have made up what he liked, it is after all. make-believe. He chose to set out a certain set of design rules.
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp4ge View Post
I
And then there's the instance of the Prometheus's saucer nacelles having 0 line of site.
From what I recall, the Prometheus has one pop-up micro-nacelle for the Saucer, and the other hulls getting a pair of the more noticable nacelles.
Lt. Commander
# 45
05-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius_Bonaparte
That's not quite right though. In a DS9 episode, the Defiant was attacked near Earth by the Lakota, a refit of an Excelsior class ship that was still in service. Not only was it a refit of an outdated design, but held it's own against the Defiant and could have won the battle if both sides hadn't backed down. There might be other examples of this, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Not true. The Lakota was not a refit. It was a brand new ship commissioned in the same year that the fight with the Defiant occurred. Yes it was an excelsior hull design but nothing about it otherwise was an old Excelsior.
Lt. Commander
# 46
05-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinRa_Actual View Post
From what I recall, the Prometheus has one pop-up micro-nacelle for the Saucer, and the other hulls getting a pair of the more noticable nacelles.
The 'Alpha' hull of the Prometheus-class (aka the 'Bridge section') has two pop-up micro-nacelles - one dorsal, one ventral. It's hard to spot, but it's there.
Lt. Commander
# 47
05-06-2010, 02:35 PM
I might be a little fuzzy on it, but I do not recall what the Galaxy X looked like enough to warrent like or dislikeing the design..

Also, Just because ONE SHIP was shown to have a cloaking device, does not mean that if some one uses all of the Galaxy X "costume peices" they would automatically get a cloaking device..

I sware every chance some people get they try to find an excuse to give a Federation ship a Cloaking device.. All because Sisko had one I bet..
Lt. Commander
# 48
05-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
Not true. The Lakota was not a refit. It was a brand new ship commissioned in the same year that the fight with the Defiant occurred. Yes it was an excelsior hull design but nothing about it otherwise was an old Excelsior.
Memory Alpha states it is an Excelsior-Class refit. Perhaps the issue is your definition of refit. I think most consider a refit to be taking an exisiting ship and modifying it with updated technology so-as to make it viable in a new era.
Lt. Commander
# 49
05-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxe
I don't remember where, perhaps Ex Astris Scientia, but on some Star Trek technobabble website I saw a theory that goes a long way to explain this.

The theory states that, as the nacelles technology evolved, somewhere between the TOS Movie era and the TNG era, each Nacelle began having 2 warp coils inside them instead of 1 which explains why they suddenly became so much dramatically wider.
The (admittedly non-canon, but written by those who are primarily involved in the production & 'science') TNG Technical Manual, the TNG ep 'Eye of the Beholder'', and the VGR ep 'Nightingale' seems to disprove this.
Lt. Commander