Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Instead of letting your marketing department continue to come up with promotional endeavors that only manage to divide STO's existing community, Why not give Cryptic at least 25% more funding, let them hire on a few more developers, and just let them do their job? Every good thing Cryptic manages to do is constantly being undermined by marketing.

All that needs to be done with this game is two things:

1 - Fix the bugs
2 - Add content

And when the bugs get fixed and content gets added, they just need to do one thing:

1 - Keep adding content.

If this formula is followed, STO will practically sell itself.

Just give it a shot. What can it hurt?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-06-2010, 05:56 PM
The marketing team is doing some ok work.

The Khan uniform code with the DVD.
The Mirror Universe uniform with Champions Online lifetime sub.
The free TOS uniforms with the Beckett magazine.
The shuttle with Del Taco tacos.

Ads on syfy.

Zachary Quinto autographed box.

The various special items from where and what kind of version you bought.

I think the assessment of the marketing department is a tad unfair. Let them do their jobs. Let the devs do their jobs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The marketing team is doing some ok work.

The Khan uniform code with the DVD.
The Mirror Universe uniform with Champions Online lifetime sub.
The free TOS uniforms with the Beckett magazine.
The shuttle with Del Taco tacos.

Ads on syfy.

Zachary Quinto autographed box.

The various special items from where and what kind of version you bought.

I think the assessment of the marketing department is a tad unfair. Let them do their jobs. Let the devs do their jobs.
That sort of thing is fine... It's promotional stuff that comes with box sales. Every MMO company that I know of does that.

It's the things they've tried to pull since launch to try to drum up more support for the game.

The problem is that they are doing promotions that would be fine for a non-MMO. Because until the acquired Cryptic, non-MMOs are all they've known. Whomever is making decisions in marketing does not seem ton understand MMOs or the communities that keep them alive. The rules for an MMO are way different than for a regular game.

Regular games also are on a short-term profit mechanic. MMOs need to be focused on long-term profit mechanics. It doesn't matter how big you grow. If you can't retain members, something is wrong. And like it or not, STO is not retaining members.

Marketing decisions like the RAF might be a good idea on paper, and if this wasn't an MMO, it would be fine. But look what it is doing to the community. For an MMO not even 4-months old yet, it looks like an act of desparation, making it obvious even to casual observers that STO is not working out as well is it by all rights should.

Reigning them in and letting Cryptic fix what is broken and add what is missing will help this game out tremendously.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
05-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The free TOS uniforms with the Beckett magazine.
Alienating everybody who bought the DDE version was a good idea?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
The RaF is marketing idiocy that goes far beyond the player advisory council, in my not-so-humble opinion.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I agree with most of that. They should focus more on fixing things to keep the people they have playing, rather than trying to just get new people to play.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
Alienating everybody who bought the DDE version was a good idea?
I didn't feel alienated. As far as I am aware, it was only the shirt. Not the shirt and skirts. Even if it was it wouldn't have bothered me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
05-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
I didn't feel alienated. As far as I am aware, it was only the shirt. Not the shirt and skirts. Even if it was it wouldn't have bothered me.
It's the full uniform.
And it bothers me, because a bonus I paid for is being given out for free, with no equivalent for the TNG uniform for instance.

Wouldn't have bothered me were it a c-store item, or in-game earned. But free?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
05-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
It's the full uniform.
And it bothers me, because a bonus I paid for is being given out for free, with no equivalent for the TNG uniform for instance.

Wouldn't have bothered me were it a c-store item, or in-game earned. But free?
I can understand why it might bother you, all I am saying is that it doesn't bother me. I may not agree with you but I will defend your right to say it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
05-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
I can understand why it might bother you, all I am saying is that it doesn't bother me. I may not agree with you but I will defend your right to say it.
Please guys. Let's not degrade this thread into something argumentative. I mean no disrespect to anyone by posting it.

As to the issue of perk items not available to some groups, I'm sure that a compromise can be reached. Like maybe offering a choice of any one exclusive item that you don't already have by upgrading your subscription. Pay for a 3-month subscription next cycle, and you get the reward. If you don't downgrade, you get another one. I wouldn't start doing that until at least a year after the perk reward was first introduced. For stuff related to the LT accounts, 20 months ought to be fair. by then, a regular subscriber will have spent $300 in subscription fees.

There are ways to make things fair and still upsell.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 PM.