Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
05-06-2010, 05:51 PM
The Khan uniform code with the DVD - And a universal code at that. Fine and dandy but probably a decision that was made prior to Atari influence.

The Mirror Universe uniform with Champions Online lifetime sub - This was a promotion that was made long before the takeover by Atari and it's marketing team.

The free TOS uniforms with the Beckett magazine - After already having given them as perks for a Special Edition version of the game that made many many players angry, some of which even quit playing the game over it. That's not good marketing, IMO. Sacrificing current players in order to get new subscribers does not make for good PR.

The shuttle with Del Taco tacos - Fine and dandy but also probably a decision that was made previous to the Atari takeover.

Ads on syfy
- Fine and dandy but also probably a decision that was made pre-Atari.

Zachary Quinto autographed box - Fine and dandy.

The various special items from where and what kind of version you bought - Standard for any MMO and also done before Atari was in charge of marketing.


Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
05-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The marketing team is doing some ok work.

The Khan uniform code with the DVD.
The Mirror Universe uniform with Champions Online lifetime sub.
The free TOS uniforms with the Beckett magazine.
The shuttle with Del Taco tacos.

Ads on syfy.

Zachary Quinto autographed box.

The various special items from where and what kind of version you bought.

I think the assessment of the marketing department is a tad unfair. Let them do their jobs. Let the devs do their jobs.
And you just described what marketing should be doing.

What they should not be doing are things like:

Halfpricegate (the first great "Friday afternoon bombing run" by marketing)

Advisorycouncilgate (Let's name a council. Before we actually SPEAK with any of the people who are going to be on it)

fleecegate (The Galaxy X $200 fleece)

Frankly the marketing department of Cryptic, to borrow from Douglas Adams, have performed like a "bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes".

IE: the marketing department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation. Look it up.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
05-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Instead of letting your marketing department continue to come up with promotional endeavors that only manage to divide STO's existing community, Why not give Cryptic at least 25% more funding, let them hire on a few more developers, and just let them do their job? Every good thing Cryptic manages to do is constantly being undermined by marketing.

All that needs to be done with this game is two things:

1 - Fix the bugs
2 - Add content

And when the bugs get fixed and content gets added, they just need to do one thing:

1 - Keep adding content.

If this formula is followed, STO will practically sell itself.

Just give it a shot. What can it hurt?
I'm sorry but it doesn't seem like you have any business experience. I'm not trying to be rude, just my opinion. You CANNOT get rid of marketing, it is impossible. Even established businesses such as McDonalds, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc. have marketing and they don't need it.

Further, marketing has no bearing on the amount of development work that is getting done. They are two separate divisions working on two separate things at the same time. This means that the bug fixes and content are getting done, but they take time. You need patience. If you have had any experience with writing programs you would understand it takes time and cannot be done over night. Now add 3D graphics and that time increases. Patience grasshopper.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
05-06-2010, 05:59 PM
I am moving this thread to the General Community Feedback section. Good work keeping it constructive. My only request is to try make your title have a summary of what your feedback is about. An example title for a thread like this could be "Feedback: Please prioritize new content and fixes over promotions"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
05-06-2010, 06:07 PM
They probably have people working on both. The game may engine may only allow a certain number of developers working on content at one time. That means other developers can work on extras.

This is just a WAG.

But STO may have enough LTS's to keep things going until the content side of things improve.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
05-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
I'm sorry but it doesn't seem like you have any business experience. I'm not trying to be rude, just my opinion. You CANNOT get rid of marketing, it is impossible. Even established businesses such as McDonalds, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc. have marketing and they don't need it.
I didn't suggest that Atari should get rid of marketing. I suggested that they stop letting marketing continue to rollm out promotions that inadvertantly undermine the progress Cryptic is making, due to their cotravercial nature.

Marketing is necessary. But there are ways to drum up support and visibility for the game that do not cause a rift in a community that is already torn assunder on many other issues.

Quote:
Further, marketing has no bearing on the amount of development work that is getting done.
I didn't say that it did. I said that Cryptic's progress is undermined by marketing's misguided endeavors. Undermined as in just when people start to see that Cryptic is trying to make things work, announcements come down from cryptic about what marketing is doing. Because a cryptic person announces it, to those who do not understand that Cryptic Development and Atari Marketing are two different entities start balstinc Cryptic on a whole new issue. One that is out of their hands. The community ends up in chaos, and Cryptic has to spend more time trying to smooth it over rather than talking about what's coming.

Quote:
You need patience. If you have had any experience with writing programs you would understand it takes time and cannot be done over night. Now add 3D graphics and that time increases. Patience grasshopper.
I am being patient. I'm on Cryptic's side here. In fact, I want them to slow down and pace themselves a little more. They are trying to churn out too many things too fast, and glaring bugs are being missed.

Now dstahl told me yesterday that the way they are set up, they have content groups that are responsible for a content project, and for fixing any bugs associated with it. Well, they need to take their time, get it before deploying it, so they can move right into their next task.

I've got a better grasp on this than you may think I do.

marketing needs to do promotions that do not stir up a hornet's nest. If they will just do that, more attention in the community will be on what Cryptic is doing. And there would be fewer multi-threaded ragefests going on.

Anything else you need me to clarify?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
05-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
It's the full uniform.
And it bothers me, because a bonus I paid for is being given out for free, with no equivalent for the TNG uniform for instance.

Wouldn't have bothered me were it a c-store item, or in-game earned. But free?
They had to buy the game and (presumably) a magazine. That should cover most of the distance between Standard and DDE.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
05-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
It's the full uniform.
And it bothers me, because a bonus I paid for is being given out for free, with no equivalent for the TNG uniform for instance.

Wouldn't have bothered me were it a c-store item, or in-game earned. But free?
It wasn't free. The magazine cost me around $5. Mwahahahah!

/tries to duck incoming infraction


I don't see any problem with marketing the game. Atari is it's own entity, and apparently that's what they do. Cryptic is the developer. It seems like a lot of people are concerned with the free weekend, RaF, etc. I say "Great! Let's get all the people in here we can!"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
05-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
I didn't suggest that Atari should get rid of marketing. I suggested that they stop letting marketing continue to rollm out promotions that inadvertantly undermine the progress Cryptic is making, due to their cotravercial nature.

Marketing is necessary. But there are ways to drum up support and visibility for the game that do not cause a rift in a community that is already torn assunder on many other issues.
What you said in your OP was "Instead of letting your marketing department continue to come up with promotional endeavors that only manage to divide STO's existing community, Why not give Cryptic at least 25% more funding, let them hire on a few more developers"

To me that sounds like, "don't do one, do the other". Don't let marketing come up with promotions, give Cryptic funding. That is how it sounds to me. Part of marketing is the promotions. Maybe some of the promotions aren't perfect but they are doing their job. However promotions not being to everyone's liking is different then what you are saying.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
I didn't say that it did. I said that Cryptic's progress is undermined by marketing's misguided endeavors. Undermined as in just when people start to see that Cryptic is trying to make things work, announcements come down from cryptic about what marketing is doing. Because a cryptic person announces it, to those who do not understand that Cryptic Development and Atari Marketing are two different entities start balstinc Cryptic on a whole new issue. One that is out of their hands. The community ends up in chaos, and Cryptic has to spend more time trying to smooth it over rather than talking about what's coming.
No argument here. It does seem that as things calm down something is announced to get people angry/annoyed. However, again the way your OP sounds to me is that you want only bugs to be fixed and content to be added, nothing more and nothing less. Frankly I don't feel that is the correct approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
I am being patient. I'm on Cryptic's side here. In fact, I want them to slow down and pace themselves a little more. They are trying to churn out too many things too fast, and glaring bugs are being missed.
I have to be honest, I haven't come across many bugs recently. The only recurring bug I have come across is when using a sniper weapon the animation sometimes get stuck, but I've reported it every single time. However part of the bug problem can be solved if more people use Tribble. Sure you can say that we shouldn't do Cryptic's work for them, but that's not true. They cannot figure out ever single thing that every single player is going to do, and that is where the problem comes in. Not only with this game, but with all software. People do crazy things when using software and then some unexpected bug pops up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Now dstahl told me yesterday that the way they are set up, they have content groups that are responsible for a content project, and for fixing any bugs associated with it. Well, they need to take their time, get it before deploying it, so they can move right into their next task.

I've got a better grasp on this than you may think I do.
If you have a better grasp on this than I think, then good for you, and I am genuinely happy about that. We need more people in this community who understand what is going on behind the scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
marketing needs to do promotions that do not stir up a hornet's nest. If they will just do that, more attention in the community will be on what Cryptic is doing. And there would be fewer multi-threaded ragefests going on.
No argument here, however in my opinion that's something to bring up with Atarai. Sure Cryptic can suggest it but it would probably have a bigger impact if the players go directly to Atarai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Anything else you need me to clarify?
Nope, unless you want to comment on anything I just said.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
Alienating everybody who bought the DDE version was a good idea?
I bought the DDE version. It did not alienate me at all.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:56 AM.