Lt. Commander
# 21
05-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Honestly the only reason I bought DDE was for Joined Trill... well... also cause I buy all my games on Steam now a days...
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
The Khan uniform code with the DVD - And a universal code at that. Fine and dandy but probably a decision that was made prior to Atari influence.

? Prior to Atari influence? That makes no sense and has no bearing either way. It was a marketing decision.

Quote:
The Mirror Universe uniform with Champions Online lifetime sub - This was a promotion that was made long before the takeover by Atari and it's marketing team.
?

What?

Champions Online ... just ... I'm stumped here. Do you know what the promotion I'm referring to is?

People who play Cryptic's OTHER game, Champions Online ... if they bought a lifetime sub to THAT game ... they got the Mirror Universe uniforms for THIS game.

Cryptic's OTHER game.

Quote:
The free TOS uniforms with the Beckett magazine - After already having given them as perks for a Special Edition version of the game that made many many players angry, some of which even quit playing the game over it. That's not good marketing, IMO. Sacrificing current players in order to get new subscribers does not make for good PR.
Numbers favor them. The decision brought more players into the fold than it lost.

Quote:
The shuttle with Del Taco tacos - Fine and dandy but also probably a decision that was made previous to the Atari takeover.

Ads on syfy
- Fine and dandy but also probably a decision that was made pre-Atari.
There seems to be a huge disconnect here. Do you not understand that Cryptic is a division of Atari? And has been the entire time it's developed this game?

Quote:
Zachary Quinto autographed box - Fine and dandy.

The various special items from where and what kind of version you bought - Standard for any MMO and also done before Atari was in charge of marketing.
Quote:

Yeah, you definitely do not really understand the relationship between Cryptic and Atari ... or how this game was developed. Cryptic IS Atari. Atari's always been in charge of this game.

BEFORE Atari was involved? That's Perpetual. That game never existed. Never got past a few pieces of concept art and a website.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-07-2010, 02:53 AM
Except that you don't need to even buy the Magazine anymore, you can get the code if you sign up on the magazine's website (for free)!
http://www.massiveonlinegamer.com/game-code
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post
And you just described what marketing should be doing.

What they should not be doing are things like:

Halfpricegate (the first great "Friday afternoon bombing run" by marketing)

Advisorycouncilgate (Let's name a council. Before we actually SPEAK with any of the people who are going to be on it)

fleecegate (The Galaxy X $200 fleece)

Frankly the marketing department of Cryptic, to borrow from Douglas Adams, have performed like a "bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes".

IE: the marketing department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation. Look it up.
I think what really bothered me the most was Gategate - whoever decided that we should compare everything to Watergate to make fairly trivial situations (especially those on video games) look like travesties of the highest caliber.

I disagree that the above situations were travesties to the game's populace. On the contrary; they seem grossly put out of proportion.

Putting the game at half price for a very limited time to draw in more customers and offering extra complimentary sub time? That seems very reasonable. Granted, perhaps they should have waited a little longer to do it (depending on one's PoV), but there's nothing wrong with limited time offers (see: preorder lifetime subs). Promos create buzz. The only thing I can fault was perhaps the timing, so close after launch.

Getting people in established Star Trek communities to offer feedback about the game? Again, nothing wrong with that, especially if it's not the only source for feedback. Seems like Star Trek fans who are versed in lore and canon would be great sources for feedback.

Putting the Galaxy X as a "carrot on a stick" to help get more players into the game? That's working beautifully. Look at how many people want it, despite threads months ago claiming that three nacel ships looked ugly. What you call fleecing to me is Marketing hitting the nail on the head. I bet a lot of people are going to try extra hard to get some invites out (or try to exploit the system by creating disposable alt accounts or such just for a month or two). Either way, the game gets more funds.

Granted, things could be much worse. At least special items aren't tied to a collectible card game (WoW). In my personal opinion, that's more of a fleece than what we're talking about with the above.

Am I a fanboy or a dev apologist? Not really. I've been through plenty of games and seen plenty of marketing hijinks. I just feel that the past few situations were grossly overblown by small but (extremely) noise minorities of the game population, which I don't think engenders the rest of the player population very well.

Just my 2 ECs.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Yeah, you definitely do not really understand the relationship between Cryptic and Atari ... or how this game was developed. Cryptic IS Atari. Atari's always been in charge of this game.

BEFORE Atari was involved? That's Perpetual. That game never existed. Never got past a few pieces of concept art and a website.
No, I think perhaps you do not understand.

Cryptic had fully developed and released Champions Online before the deal with Atari was made. They had also done the majority of the work developing this game before that merger. They were an independent company then. Most of the decisions made for marketing prior to the release of this game had already been done before Atari came in.

I was at the Meet & Greet at the ST convention in Las Vegas months before release. I still have the fliers and a sign from that event. Neither of them have the Atari logos on them. What does that tell you?

Cryptic is a subsidiary of Atari now, but they were not always part of that company and they were not part of Atari when this game was initially developed.

Lt. Commander
# 26
05-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Whilst it is true that everyone at Cryptic ultimately works for and answers to Atari SA. It's not Atari Inc. doing the marketing. Cryptic have their own marketing department lead ( I think ) by Joe Blancato and voiced by (if he's still there ) Ivan Sulic.

Cryptic have their own team making their own mistakes and they've been given the budget that they asked for when they were taken over.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
No, I think perhaps you do not understand.

Cryptic had fully developed and released Champions Online before the deal with Atari was made.

No, they hadn't. They had been working on a Marvel Universe game. They have been a part of Atari the entire time they were making this particular video game.

Quote:
They had also done the majority of the work developing this game before that merger.
No, they hadn't. They had worked on their engine. The basic structure of what this and Champions is. Because it was the work they did for Marvel.

The Star Trek of Star Trek Online was developed after Champions. And they were a part of Atari the entire time.

Quote:
I was at the Meet & Greet at the ST convention in Las Vegas months before release. I still have the fliers and a sign from that event. Neither of them have the Atari logos on them. What does that tell you?
That doesn't tell me or you anything.

Quote:
Cryptic is a subsidiary of Atari now, but they were not always part of that company and they were not part of Atari when this game was initially developed.
Quote:

The entire time they were making Star Trek Online, they were a part of Atari.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
I'm sorry but it doesn't seem like you have any business experience. I'm not trying to be rude, just my opinion. You CANNOT get rid of marketing, it is impossible. Even established businesses such as McDonalds, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc. have marketing and they don't need it.

Further, marketing has no bearing on the amount of development work that is getting done. They are two separate divisions working on two separate things at the same time. This means that the bug fixes and content are getting done, but they take time. You need patience. If you have had any experience with writing programs you would understand it takes time and cannot be done over night. Now add 3D graphics and that time increases. Patience grasshopper.
Of course there needs to be marketing but the marketing people need to look at this game from a long - term perspective and not so short sighted as they have been. THey need to RETAIN CUSTOMERS and bring in new Customers. an MMO survives by RETAINING CUSTOMERS. Everything the marketing company does is just try to add stuff to get new subscribers...we need the things that are ****ing all of the customers currently playing to get fixed otherwise STO will have no foundation to sit on. The foundation is crumbling as we speak.

1.) FIX BUG and INSTANCE ISSUES.(IF THE DEVS ACTUALLY READ THE FORUMS THEY WOULD KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THESE ISSUES ARE)

2.) MORE CONTENT

3.) ADD PERKS FOR NEW SUBSCRIBERS

That is the order things should be worked on.