Lt. Commander
# 131
05-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mayhem
I think it should have been a Q mini-pet that appears at random and follows you around for a while making snarky comments.
If THAT were the reward, even I'd be trying to get 5 people to join the game. The Snarky Comments AI alone would motivate me. The best thing is ... I think they could design this. And simply pull quotations from their very own forums. We could be the fuel that makes this awesome go.
Lt. Commander
# 132
05-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
What you say is POSSIBLE for sure, I will definitely grant you that.

But what adds insult to injury in this case, is that the Galaxy X was plainly an item that people repeatedly asked for before the launch of the game, closed beta, etc. And now to pour a bit of salt on the wound... it isn't just any ship... its Canon.

We have so few canon ships to choose from as it is, whereas they could make a seemingly endless supply of cryptic star trekesque ships.

Making a canon ship
which many people wanted
exclusive
makes me a sad vegetable. (and others apparently).

It would have been probably far less pronounced if the offered item had a functional clickie ability, but was an originally built in house item. Or maybe a new ship. Or a VARIANT of the Galaxy X, hah. But, in my opinion, they choose the greater of two evils... withholding a coveted canon ship and choosing to keep it out of reach for many people.

I've said this before... but if the Galaxy X as a T5 would have been made available in game... it is something big enough to have actually made me log in to the game. It would have been a "WOW... thats cool and GREAT Cryptic". I and many others would have been excited about it. Instead... well... look what affect their decision had.

So in essence, I'm only talking about what would have been most ideal in this situation. Know what I mean? And did you like my semi-haiku (i know its not even close)?
I still don't quite buy it. I've seen far more people push for the Excelsior than the Galaxy X. I've seen a post or two about the All Good Things enterprise. But as a concerted community effort, there's been so much more outcry about the Excelsior.
Lt. Commander
# 133
05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
If THAT were the reward, even I'd be trying to get 5 people to join the game. The Snarky Comments AI alone would motivate me. The best thing is ... I think they could design this. And simply pull quotations from their very own forums. We could be the fuel that makes this awesome go.
Lol. I imagine a mini-Q wandering around muttering 'Fail...all fail'.

Best of all, they could call it "QQ".
Lt. Commander
# 134
05-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius

OMG. You have now picked up a fan for life. That ... is ... perfect!

They have the Pets in game. There are targs. There's tons of action figures in their other game. They could do this. They really really could.
Lt. Commander
# 135
05-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
I still don't quite buy it. I've seen far more people push for the Excelsior than the Galaxy X. I've seen a post or two about the All Good Things enterprise. But as a concerted community effort, there's been so much more outcry about the Excelsior.
I agree. Many more people who would prefer an Excelsior or even a Nebula.
Lt. Commander
# 136
05-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius

Hah! Absolutely CLASSIC!
Lt. Commander
# 137
05-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Quote:
If that something else were "cool" the same thing would have happened. Maybe from different posters, since that something else would have been something other posters wanted. But the reaction would have been the same.

The only way this would not have been the reaction was if the reward was not something cool.

And then the threads would have been complaint threads about how the reward sucks, no one will do it because the reward sucks and that devs are wasting time on things that suck. It's a catch-22.
Maybe then the idea isnt to do it? I know sometimes inactivity is not in vogue but discretion is often the better part of valor for a reason. Besides, instead of creating stupid gimmicks to make people play the game. Perhaps ALL effort should be to make the game better and have it sell itself?

Naaaa what am i thinking, like that would ever happen.
Lt. Commander
# 138
05-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
And as I've stated elsewhere - the program is really intended for players who are enjoying the game and having fun and want to share their love of the game with their friends.
Sorry, but that statement is flawed. Just because a person is playing and enjoying the game doesnt mean they can get their friends to play. Afterall, you cant force someone to do something. TBH, I think putting that spin on it is a little insulting to the players who arent able to get their friends to play.
Lt. Commander
# 139
05-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
personally, i think the forums are just filled with people who would rather whine about the game then play
or, the few of us, who (like me ) can't play at a particular time do to w/e reason, and so instead we browse the forums ( though i find these people tend to be the logically reasonable people )
Heh, yes. Browsing the forums is what I do when I can't play. And from what browsing I do, it seems it's mostly the same dozen people or so doing ninety percent of the griping/trolling. The species Concern Troll seems particularly widespread. I hope people don't really think they are representative of the player base. While there are things I could stand to see improved with the game, it's barely opened yet and being improved week by week. Developers hard at work!
Lt. Commander
# 140
05-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Sorry, but that statement is flawed. Just because a person is playing and enjoying the game doesnt mean they can get their friends to play. Afterall, you cant force someone to do something. TBH, I think putting that spin on it is a little insulting to the players who arent able to get their friends to play.
insulting is really the only word for it. you're right