Lt. Commander
# 151
05-07-2010, 01:02 PM
you have just killed this community.
If you think that we are going to chase around many different, dead, forums to continue conversations you are mistaken. I have no doubt that's exactly what you want.
Lt. Commander
# 152
05-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
Sure, the attention is on the RAF program. But I am by no means motivated to go after the Galaxy X. In fact, I am even more put off by them, than I was before. Heck, as I said before, if they made it available in game... it is actually something that could have made me LOG IN TO THE GAME.

But as it is now... well, that won't be happening.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it backfired on them. As opposed to being motivated to get the Galaxy X... meh... I can't be bothered, and people seem put out by this whole Galaxy Gate, than having their cookies baked.
I can't say it's backfired on them, I don't think anybody knows that but them (i.e., Cryptic). However, I agree completely with your comment of, " if they made it available in game... it is actually something that could have made me LOG IN TO THE GAME.," and at its heart, this is the problem IMHO with the RAF program.

Sure, they'll get more subscribers, but will those subscribers stay past the 30 days? If I want more of my friends to join I want them to stick around and play with me more than I want a snazzy new ship. Nearly all my friends are gamers, they know about STO already and the ones who haven't already signed up have refused to sign-up because in their opinion the game needs more polish, more content, and more end-game. The new trailers/teasers/Dev Videos coming out from Bioware, CCP, NetDevil, and Reakktor Media for their games hasn't helped "sell" this game to them either. I'd be shocked if other people haven't heard the same from some of their friends, but I digress...

The time and resources (again IMHO) should have been put toward in-game content, not special content for an RAF program at this point in the game's life. Like I said in other posts, I would have offered free C-Store points, free game time, and in-game titles, then I would have added the snazzier rewards later when the in-game content was in a better place.

To make a long story short, I won't even consider promoting this game, no matter what the reward, until well after Season 2 perhaps even Season 3.
Lt. Commander
# 153
05-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrat View Post
Would seem be be smart thing right? add the Gal X to the game makes 99% of the customers happy.
I think the smarter move is to offer the weird spinoff one of Mutant ship from All Good Things as a reward fro something not everyone is going to participate in ...

And make the T5 Defiant and T5 Intrepid ... and the Excelsior whenever Paramount gives them the OK on it ...you know those right? The thnigs that that 99% of the community has been crying for in thread after threat? Yeah, I think making THOSE free for gameplay ... and making the weird variant mutant ship a special ... is far smarter.

And I think time will justify my view as the correct one.

A T5 Defiant will make more people currently playing the game want to log into the game, than the AGT Galaxy.

Seriously, it's been shown in post after post, thread after thread, that the motivation behind all this angst about the RAF program is that people who want this simply don't want to participate in the program. They just want the reward. In the easiest way possible.

But the reward itself doesn't merit anything changing.
Lt. Commander
# 154
05-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
Although I very much appreciate Dstahl going to the CEO about the Galaxy X, this is true but not Dstahl's fault. He did what he could and got an answer that I'm personally disappointed with. I won't shoot the messenger in this instance.

The real blame lies at the feet of the marketing department. They designed this program for anyone who loves the game and who is also a top notch salesperson ONLY. No consideration was made at all for those who don't have the social connections or skills necessary to complete this task.

They could have at least given credit to people who successfully used their buddy keys. 1) It's 100% doable but they don't want to spend any resources on incorporating it into RAF. And 2) They don't want to give credit for the past. They want a new influx of players.

In the end marketing's design will stand as they want a reward so cool it will motivate people to hit the streets and sell STO for them. It also stands to reason that the Galaxy X will have a cloak and a weapon that may not be as balanced as some think. I kinda doubt it will be junk else it defeats the purpose for creating this little motivational ship. And if they can keep this reward rare it will cut down on calls for nerfs.
Our CEO has learned from the unquestioned grandmaster of scam, "honest" John Smedley, of SOE and Star Wars Galaxies NGE infamy. Dstahl will probably get fired for showing any sign of having a principle or standing up for the customers. Smed fired a community manager that did something similar.

My problem with the Galaxy-X reward isn't that they are giving out a ship skin for people who either go buy 5 boxes of the game and pay for 5 subscriptions for one month, or somehow convince 5 others to do so. It's the fact that they are deliberately making doing this more desirable by making it also THE MOST POWERFUL SHIP IN THE GAME because it has an extra weapon, and the ability to cloak, neither of which other Federation T5 ships can or will do at the time of it's release.

Oh, they say we will have other ships with similar abilities "in the future". Which is not when the first superfanbois who are willing to spend $200 to become an alpha class start showing up in these things.

That is what makes this deal completely unethical and a total betrayal of the customer.

John Needham isn't going to compromise because he knows that their "referrals" (which won't be real new players in any case) will be a fraction of what they would be unless that ship is so overpowered a certain segment considers it mandatory to get it.
Lt. Commander
# 155
05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post
Our CEO has learned from the unquestioned grandmaster of scam, "honest" John Smedley, of SOE and Star Wars Galaxies NGE infamy.
And due to the monk-nerf, Jack Emmert saw fit to put ED into CoH and that's why the Galaxy X is a slap in the face to the entire STO community, amirite?

C'mon man, let's go camp Ragefire or something.
Lt. Commander
# 156
05-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxe
I am moving this thread to the more appropriate C-Store and Promotions feedback subforum.
Nice. You guys are just classic.

roflcopters
Lt. Commander
# 157
05-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
And due to the monk-nerf, Jack Emmert saw fit to put ED into CoH and that's why the Galaxy X is a slap in the face to the entire STO community, amirite?

C'mon man, let's go camp Ragefire or something.
http://www.massively.com/2008/06/02/...ec-as-new-ceo/

I'm speaking of John Needham, not Jack Emmert.

I blame myself for being asleep at the switch and never noticing that article before. I probably never would have bought STO and certainly never would have bought a LTS had I known that someone who worked that closely with Smed was CEO, and apparently making operational decisions directly affecting gameplay, such as introducing an alpha class ship... For the price of 5 boxed sets plus 5 subscriptions for 1 month, which comes out to about $275.

What is truly sad is there will be people who do this.
Lt. Commander
# 158
05-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Quote:

I blame myself for being asleep at the switch and never noticing that article before. I probably never would have bought STO and certainly never would have bought a LTS had I known that someone who worked that closely with Smed was CEO, and apparently making operational decisions directly affecting gameplay, such as introducing an alpha class ship... For the price of 5 boxed sets plus 5 subscriptions for 1 month, which comes out to about $275.

What is truly sad is there will be people who do this.
Needham has been here ages. Why are you acting like this is news? I think he came on board when Atari bumped up the other SEO guy who lost them $300M 2008/2009
Lt. Commander
# 159
05-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:

But Jack Emmert PLAYED everquest. And played a monk. And it was the monk nerf ... in the smedley run game ... that taught Emmert how to do this.

If, as you state, people are guilty by association, I am simply showing you how tightly woven your anti-SOE Everquest resentment really is.

It all goes back to McQuaid leaving. And Shadows of Luclin. And Vanguard.

We know this.

The Galaxy X is Smedley's fault because SoE killed Planetside and Matrix Online and Vanguard.

I get it. I follow you.
Lt. Commander
# 160
05-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Quote:
It's the fact that they are deliberately making doing this more desirable by making it also THE MOST POWERFUL SHIP IN THE GAME because it has an extra weapon, and the ability to cloak, neither of which other Federation T5 ships can or will do at the time of it's release.
Er, just want to point out, politely: From what we have been told, the Galaxy-X has one less forward weapons slot to simulate having this weapon. I forget how many forward weapon slots a standard T4 Galaxy has, but the Galaxy-X has one less forward configurable weapon slot.

In a way, I'm glad they did this with the Galaxy-X. If they tried it with the Excelsior or a cloakking Defiant, the uproar would be even larger. (As it is, anyone showing up with a Gal-X in PvP is going to be ganked in Planck time. Socially, I don't see Gal-X owners making many friends on the forum. But that's besides the point.)

Mind you, I don't want to see these things on the C-Store (or the Gal-X in the C-Store, when they get around to releasing it to the general population.) I want them unlocked in the game. Give me and the other players who just want to play, a reason to play, a goal, something to work towards rather than just grind. =)