Lt. Commander
# 41
05-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
I stand by my outrage that the Galaxy-X will have unique game effects. I feel that this marks yet another step towards turning this game into a pay-for-power cash store MMO despite the endless blandishments to the contrary before release.
I would have left a long time ago. But with their refusal to give me a refund for my LTS... well... I'll stick around give them the feedback I am entitled too, since I am technically a "paid up customer". :p

To get that Galaxy X squidheadx... you have to essentially earn Cryptic $220. That is how much the Galaxy X is worth to them [5 boxes @ 40% discount ( 29.99x5) +5 months subs (14.99x5) = roughly $220].
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I think if they add a cloak, that it won't be exclusive to that ship. That cloaking on the fed side will be something that gets added as the game expands. So that ship will just be the teaser of what's to come.

As far as the super phaser cannon wave motion gun death star beam it can shoot?

That will either be a horrible weapon that's forced onto a cruiser that can't use it very well. Or it will be something akin to the red matter device. Either way, it will handicap the ship.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.
It's not sufficient to me that it be balanced (although the muddled descriptions don't fill me with confidence that it will be, and speculation that it will be is just the same as speculation it won't be). It's selling off gameplay choices. It's indistinct from selling off different BO power options or weapons types or, of course, actual different ship classes rather than skins. The sort of thing to be expected in a game you pay for piecemeal that doesn't have a subscription.
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
I agree with most of the posts in this thread. I often see two valid feedback categories on the forums: 1) "Let's kick their f'n ass until they change this" And 2) "We love the game but we want this to change, here's why".

Category 1 is perceived as "crazies with pitchforks" by those in Category 2.

Category 2 is perceived as "fanboys, dev pets and sycophants" by those in Category 1.

In reality they are both on the same team, trying to make STO better in their own ways. But their approaches and mindsets are so extreme they will almost never recognize this.

Devs, on the other hand, are weary of having to sift through the flames of those in Category 1. You can see this in recent comments by Dstahl who went to bat for us over the Galaxy X (thank you btw!). And now the mods will be filing all feedback about marketing offers into a "special" more "organized" section of the forums. Uh huh...

Although I almost never post against people in Category 1 (because I too am passionate about certain things) I think the over-the-top negativity is starting to take it's toll. Keep fighting for what you believe in but pick your battles and consider how the devs might perceive any irate posts because more than likely they are starting to fall on deaf ears.
Blunt and to the point while being sane and rational with good advice. I commend you.
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Quote:
This is a bit of a tangent but I hope I have a point ... heh.

So, like I was trying to think about what I would get that emotional or passionate about in terms of a reward put into a system I knew I couldn't achieve.

I admit ... I look at the RAF and think ... yeah, I can't get 5 people to do that. And it's absurd to buy 5 separate accounts.

So there's no way I could achieve that goal. But I look at the reward and am not interested.

How would I feel if it were a reward I wanted?

Well I'm a uniform FREAK! I absolutely go crazy for uniform variations.
I thought what if the reward was the uniform from that future time?

And realized I'd still not bother.

I think it's an ok uni, but I'm not worried I don't have it.

Then I rememberd ... one of the races the devs want to make playable is Deltans.

What if the reward for the RAF were ... the Motion Picture Uniforms?

I found my catalyst.

I'd be freaking out because those I'd want.
I am a uniform freak also. I bought the retail collectors edition for the TNG uniforms. I think all the uniforms should have been offered for free. I don't think that is to much to ask of them. I bought the collectors edition for those. I think uniforms should be free. So players can show support for their favorite show or movie.

The liberated Borg and the Alternate Enterprise should be exclusives. In my opinion they shouldn't be common. Since they were never common in the series.
Lt. Commander
# 45
05-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Quote:
It's not sufficient to me that it be balanced (although the muddled descriptions don't fill me with confidence that it will be, and speculation that it will be is just the same as speculation it won't be). It's selling off gameplay choices. It's indistinct from selling off different BO power options or weapons types or, of course, actual different ship classes rather than skins. The sort of thing to be expected in a game you pay for piecemeal that doesn't have a subscription.
I don't quite see it the way you do. If they're FORCING a cannon into a forward weapon slot on a cruiser ... that's not selling off a gameplay choice.

That's ...

1- Something you can currently equip.
2- A bad choice. Because it doesn't work well on a cruiser.
3- Not something to be upset over as the superior gameplay choice will be to fly something else.

As far as the rumored cloaking device goes ... if they preview it with this, but then make it available to other ships at that tier or beyond ... then it's moot. It becomes the norm once the game makes it standard. I can live with the paltry few people who have that ship getting this BEFORE me, if it eventually just becomes the norm. And a federation cloak? Is something they'd most likely do that with.

So ... in short ... Cannon ... BAD IDEA, because it's going to suck!

Cloak? Not a worry, because if they give it to one fed ship, they'll give it to the rest.
Lt. Commander
# 46
05-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
I am a uniform freak also. I bought the retail collectors edition for the TNG uniforms. I think all the uniforms should have been offered for free. I don't think that is to much to ask of them. I bought the collectors edition for those. I think uniforms should be free. So players can show support for their favorite show or movie.

The liberated Borg and the Alternate Enterprise should be exclusives. In my pinion they shouldn't be common. Since they were never common in the series.
I wish the standard unis, like TNG and DS9 were free. Or offered in a magazine. Or something like that. Because I agree with the sentiment being expressed in posts like yours. They're unis from the show. So many more players should have access to them.

I am, however a freak. For unis. And bought a CE and now have the TNG, DS9, TOS and Khan uniforms. I do not recommend that path. And would support a much more player friendly path. And oddly enough, since I am aware of my problem, I wouldn't feel resentment if they made TNG unis and DS9 unis easy to get tomorrow or next week or whatever. I'd just be happy to see more folks in them.

Lt. Commander
# 47
05-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Quote:
So ... in short ... Cannon ... BAD IDEA, because it's going to suck!

Cloak? Not a worry, because if they give it to one fed ship, they'll give it to the rest.
We already know the cannon on the Galaxy-X is going to be something distinct from the standard cannon weapons.

You're speculating as much as I am, if not more. All we know is it's going to be something different, and trivial assurances taht could be made to the contrary haven't been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
I would have left a long time ago. But with their refusal to give me a refund for my LTS... well... I'll stick around give them the feedback I am entitled too, since I am technically a "paid up customer". :p

To get that Galaxy X squidheadx... you have to essentially earn Cryptic $220. That is how much the Galaxy X is worth to them [5 boxes @ 40% discount ( 29.99x5) +5 months subs (14.99x5) = roughly $220].
You keep misspelling my forum name :p

Yeah, I'm unpleasantly aware of that figure already, which is why I object to the Galaxy-X having unique mechanics.

I'm not entirely certain whether I'd still have been subbing or not up to this point. In all honesty I probably would be, but more due to the RP and personal connections I have in game than being impressed by the changes Cryptic has made so far.
Lt. Commander
# 48
05-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Hmm... gone to far. I have to agree with that. Of cousre I have been thru all of the various "gates". Been here since open beta. I keep coming back to one fact. Its a game. I just don't see getting my blood pressure up over a video game. Its cryptics game in the end they can do what they want with it. Yeah we may not like it but while we are the customers they own it. The only rights we have is the right to play that we pay for. Beyond that everything else is a courtesy given to us by Cryptic. They don't have to listen to us. They don't have to seek our advice on things. They don't even have to provide this forum. They choose to. They might be wise to. That doesn't change the fact that they don't have to. Do I like everything they have done? No. I have posted as such. However, I just can't ge worked up over it. Its not mine.
Lt. Commander
# 49
05-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Quote:
You keep misspelling my forum name :p
No one told you? They're releasing an exclusive Squidhead-X variant of you. With an extra Nacelle on top of your head.
Lt. Commander
# 50
05-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by personae
No one told you? They're releasing an exclusive Squidhead-X variant of you. With an extra Nacelle on top of your head.
...but that's not where I'd want an extra nacelle

I'd be damn snazzy with a cannon tho.