Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
Well, since the other thread apparently crashed and burned after I went to bed (note... NOT discussing moderation in the slightest), I thought it would be beneficial to have less of a discussion based thread and more of a "agree"/"disagree" thread to more succintly help Cryptic understand community sentiment.

Dear Cryptic,

The Game is Painfully Unfinished, Why Invite People Now?

Why would you want us to invite people to the game as it is now? With the current repetitiveness of the game, lack of proper crafting, an exploration system that is slightly embarrassing, and an entire faction that is hardly fleshed out (klingons), with there still being bugs in the game, and an extremely linear gameplay due to lack of content... why would you want people to see this?

I think it is a bad idea. It may help with short term goals with immediately boosting subscriptions, but those people might ultimately cancel their subs after reaching level cap like so many others have done. And these people are likely to ever give STO a second chance. You are hurting this games long term sustainability by trying to achieve short term goals. If anything, you should have waited till season 3, or season 2 at the very least when a flood of more things will supposedly be added.

The Galaxy X was a poor choice as a reward for the RAF reward system
Under the assumption that you do read the forums, you should know that the Galaxy X from "All Good Things" was something that people have wanted and asked for to be in the game. Another member sums this up more succintly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
Frankly, shilling the Galaxy X like this is basically a confession on Cryptic's part that STO can't stand on it's own merits.
Here's a ship design that a lot of people have said they wanted. So what do they do? Put it on the c-store? Make it a vet reward? Make it an upgrade for in-game merit? No! They dangle it in front of us like a carrot from a stick and tell us to not only convince 5 people to try the game, but to badger them into making at least a one-month sub.

"If you were REALLY my friend you'd put down the money so I can get a Galaxy X!"

Brilliant.
Voice your opinion whether you agree or disagree and try to be mature and respectful of one another (Including Cryptic).
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-05-2010, 12:14 PM
i agree. I hope they make another way of getting it. I think they have though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-05-2010, 12:17 PM
I object to it simply because this is basically nothing more than a ~$200 cash grab designed to artificially inflate the subscriber numbers without actually increasing the number of players.

The majority of the people who get these rewards will be purchasing the accounts themselves. This is how this exact same scheme has worked on SOE games (not surprising, since Cryptic's CEO used to be in charge of this sort of thing at SOE).

The best way to market this game is to fix the glaring lack of content problem. We lack almost completely anything meaningful for a RA5 character to do. Fix this problem FIRST before trying to bring in more players, else, why waste the effort, we won't retain any of them!
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
Well, since the other thread apparently crashed and burned after I went to bed (note... NOT discussing moderation in the slightest), I thought it would be beneficial to have less of a discussion based thread and more of a "agree"/"disagree" thread to more succintly help Cryptic understand community sentiment.

Dear Cryptic,

The Game is Painfully Unfinished, Why Invite People Now?

Why would you want us to invite people to the game as it is now? With the current repetitiveness of the game, lack of proper crafting, an exploration system that is slightly embarrassing, and an entire faction that is hardly fleshed out (klingons), with there still being bugs in the game, and an extremely linear gameplay due to lack of content... why would you want people to see this?

I think it is a bad idea. It may help with short term goals with immediately boosting subscriptions, but those people might ultimately cancel their subs after reaching level cap like so many others have done. And these people are likely to ever give STO a second chance. You are hurting this games long term sustainability by trying to achieve short term goals.

The Galaxy X was a poor choice as a reward for the RAF reward system
Under the assumption that you do read the forums, you should know that the Galaxy X from "All Good Things" was something that people have wanted and asked for to be in the game. Another member sums this up more succintly:

Voice your opinion whether you agree or disagree and try to be mature and respectful of one another (Including Cryptic).
more money to pay more employees to get more dev, to get more people working on content, to get a more finished well rounded game makes panda want to refer friends >_>

personally i think having the galaxy x for refering 5 friends is a good thing, it inspires people to not only stay with the game and see how it develops into something they will enjoy (like wow, coh, ***, ffxi and just about every other mmo out there ever did) but also bringing friends into the game will give you something to do with them aswell so doing repeatative things don't seem so repeatative....
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-05-2010, 12:24 PM
I normally don't like your completely negative tone and non-constructive criticism, but I would like to add that I would be very surprised if I ever saw anyone fly one in game.

I love the idea of encouraging people to show this game to their friends, but getting 5 people? Yikes! I might convince 2 or 3 if I really try, but I'm scared they would just quit in a month anyway....
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
more money to pay more employees to get more dev, to get more people working on content, to get a more finished well rounded game makes panda want to refer friends >_>
You think the money's going back to STO, when there's a new Cryptic game clamouring for attention?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-05-2010, 12:28 PM
I think Cryptic is assuming those who haven't played the game yet are not the ones who will reach RA5 in two weeks. They'll be weekend warriors who don't mind taking their time. Cryptic would be releasing content faster than they could complete it.

As for Galaxy 5, I would love for it too to become a Vet reward as well. Recruit 5 people, get it now. Play for 250 days, get it then.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post
The best way to market this game is to fix the glaring lack of content problem. We lack almost completely anything meaningful for a RA5 character to do.
Would something like what I have in this list be of interest to you as a RA?
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
You think the money's going back to STO, when there's a new Cryptic game clamouring for attention?
if you think that why are you paying for your sub? sincei t's not going towards sto either >_>
plus it's not announced yet, unconfirmed and just rumors.....
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Would something like what I have in this list be of interest to you as a RA?
Great list, but I feel people are so Stockholmed that we'd be happy if there were new game mechanics that didn't involve spending real money.