Lt. Commander
# 11
05-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Get used to it. Cryptic are hell bent on making this a Korean style cash shop MMO, with a western monthy fee tacked on.
The sad thing is, that's fast becoming the lesser of two evils, as the alternative is game content being used for "exclusive" promotions, where you must play salesman for Cryptic or do god knows what else in the coming months (the new t5 Intrepid with "Endgame" armor! Yours when you get 5 friends to buy a lifetime subscription!).
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Still can't believe people are complaining about the C-Store...

Seriously.... it was a well known FACT that there would be a lot of C-store stuff already long before the game launched or entered Open Beta.
The complaining never really stopped, its just become more vocalnow because people are starting to have enough of it. Most people were expecting, as Cryptic said, lots of fluff items, like vanity pets and the like, I don't think the majority of people were expecting new ship skins and races (with traits only available to these races).

As it is now, the games itemisation is pretty boring, the only item in the game with any kind of creative itemisation is the MK IV efficient engine, other than that all the items are almost the same, but instead of adding more items to the game for people to work towards achieveing, the game is seeing a constant flow of items you have to pay for ontop of your monthly subscription. I also believe the reason people are complaining more now is because people have used up the free c-store points they got from pre-orders and the questionairre and its sinking in they have to actualy use real money nowto buy the c-store points to buy these items.

I think its perfectly reasonable for people to get annoyed with the C-store to be honest, it feels like every patch is devoting more items to the C-store, with very little content wise been added to the game, if this was a F2P game I'd have no issue with it, but some of the items in the C-store are way past been vanity items and adding races, like Caitens, which so many people have asked to be included as a race you have to actually pay for just seems a bt low to me.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
The complaining never really stopped, its just become more vocalnow because people are starting to have enough of it. Most people were expecting, as Cryptic said, lots of fluff items, like vanity pets and the like, I don't think the majority of people were expecting new ship skins and races (with traits only available to these races).
A ship skin is a fluff item. I have the imperial skin. That assault cruiser does the exact same thing in game whether I have a sovereign skin or an imperial skin on it.

The playable races that have been put in there ... so far don't have anything all that popular or that you can't emulate elsewhere, in terms of gameplay impact.

There's even been an entire crusade launched by one poster about how horrible and how in need of an update the playable ferengi race's traits really are.

A crusade I support, simply because the trait choices don't fit the ferengi story all that well from the shows.

I don't think Pakleds dumb luck or the Maelstrom are really ticking people off here.

EDIT: And really, I don't think it's the C-Store at all. Because in the midst of this HUGE storm of fury and bluster about the referral program ... the most oft-given suggestion by poster after poster after poster was ... to put the Galaxy X IN the C-Store.

Irony. It burns through your shields quickly. Polarize the hull!
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
And really, I don't think it's the C-Store at all. Because in the midst of this HUGE storm of fury and bluster about the referral program ... the most oft-given suggestion by poster after poster after poster was ... to put the Galaxy X IN the C-Store.

Irony. It burns through your shields quickly. Polarize the hull!
Thats one thing I cringe at everytime I hear it, that its starting to become acceptable in the playerbase for an item that a player wants to be added to a store where you have to buy it, instead of been added as content in the game to help retain people, right now the game feels more like a 'collectors trading store' with all the items in the C-store.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-07-2010, 05:02 PM
You all had better just get use to MT's. Its becoming industry standard. Take a look at what happened to DDO. From my understanding, that game was on the brink. They made it a free to play game with MT's and also offer a monthly sub like regular MMO's. Since then, the game has turned into a cash cow. Turbine was a private company and very hush hush on numbers. With the success of their new busness model, they had no issues posting the info. Get use to it folks, MT's are here to stay.

One more thing I wish to remind you all. These are For Profit companies. They are out to make Money! And it It just so happens, they make their money by making games. You can whine, belleyache, nerdrage all you want.....you will Not change that fact.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
Thats one thing I cringe at everytime I hear it, that its starting to become acceptable in the playerbase for an item that a player wants to be added to a store where you have to buy it, instead of been added as content in the game to help retain people, right now the game feels more like a 'collectors trading store' with all the items in the C-store.
indeed it seems like a marketiing ploy in a way, allow me to put my tin foil hat on for a sec *rummages around*

they could be telling us about the ship in the referral program in the hopes that, given that worse alternative, we'll accept the 'lesser evil' of the c-store that we would normally rage about if it was simply placed there.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Careful what you wish for.

Have you played the STFs?
yes and i do not mind clearing them, i run them with pug's for fun. I know suprising isnt it, someone enjoying himself.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EikoMaubee
You all had better just get use to MT's. Its becoming industry standard. Take a look at what happened to DDO. From my understanding, that game was on the brink. They made it a free to play game with MT's and also offer a monthly sub like regular MMO's. Since then, the game has turned into a cash cow. Turbine was a private company and very hush hush on numbers. With the success of their new busness model, they had no issues posting the info. Get use to it folks, MT's are here to stay.

One more thing I wish to remind you all. These are For Profit companies. They are out to make Money! And it It just so happens, they make their money by making games. You can whine, belleyache, nerdrage all you want.....you will Not change that fact.
You make an interesting point. But thank god my console gaming system doesn't use any sort of microtransactions. God imagine what it would be like to have that kind of horrible greedy idea infect the pure, harmonious ivory tower of my x-box 360.

Lt. Commander
# 19
05-07-2010, 05:29 PM
We can thank horse armor for this.
But that's neither here nor there.

Way before that, people paid almost the price of the game for extra content. They call them expansion packs.
Some people would argue that the game should have been that way the whole time, then there would be nothing to complain about.

On the other hand, we're stuck with it now, and to be honest, I prefer the micro transaction approach over the expansion approach. It can be less expensive in the long run. And it's optional.

With an expansion pack, if you don't buy it, in many cases, you can't play that game's extra content. The patch requires a certain version, and you don't have it, or you'll never get to see what everyone else who did buy it can enjoy on a regular basis.

With the C-store, everyone can buy, or they don't have to.
As marginal an option as that is, it's still an optional purchase.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
Get used to it. Cryptic are hell bent on making this a Korean style cash shop MMO, with a western monthy fee tacked on.
The sad thing is, that's fast becoming the lesser of two evils, as the alternative is game content being used for "exclusive" promotions, where you must play salesman for Cryptic or do god knows what else in the coming months (the new t5 Intrepid with "Endgame" armor! Yours when you get 5 friends to buy a lifetime subscription!).
I do not disagree with this post! This does not sound to far off the mark?

LT. Expendable how does a lifetime subscriber get banned?
Closed Thread