Lt. Commander
# 21
05-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
I do not disagree with this post! This does not sound to far off the mark?

LT. Expendable how does a lifetime subscriber get banned?
By telling the truth.

I fully expect them to ban me for criticizing them.

There is a huge difference between being a fan, and being a fanboi.

Actually, probably the best thing that could happen to a dissatisfied LTS is a permaban, that's all you would need to get a refund, not from Cryptic, from your bank (assuming you used a Visa or Mastercard).

If Cryptic would agree to give me back just $100 of the cost of my LTS, I'd go voluntarily, and they still would have made a profit off of me.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Still can't believe people are complaining about the C-Store...

Seriously.... it was a well known FACT that there would be a lot of C-store stuff already long before the game launched or entered Open Beta.
2nd

Like give it a break already, half the stuff is fluff anyways. Its not needed to play the game..its optional, if you want it so bad...get it..stop restorting to complaining...like a bunch of 5 yr olds.. I swear
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post
By telling the truth.

I fully expect them to ban me for criticizing them.

There is a huge difference between being a fan, and being a fanboi.

Actually, probably the best thing that could happen to a dissatisfied LTS is a permaban, that's all you would need to get a refund, not from Cryptic, from your bank (assuming you used a Visa or Mastercard).

If Cryptic would agree to give me back just $100 of the cost of my LTS, I'd go voluntarily, and they still would have made a profit off of me.
You can be banned from the forums and still have access to the game. And play the game. And what not.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
indeed it seems like a marketiing ploy in a way, allow me to put my tin foil hat on for a sec *rummages around*

they could be telling us about the ship in the referral program in the hopes that, given that worse alternative, we'll accept the 'lesser evil' of the c-store that we would normally rage about if it was simply placed there.
Honestly, this was my first reaction on hearing about the RAF/Galaxy-X issue. It's not too far a stretch considering the very bad behavior of certain businesses. Though I hope it's just me being cynical/jaded.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EikoMaubee
You all had better just get use to MT's. Its becoming industry standard. Take a look at what happened to DDO. From my understanding, that game was on the brink. They made it a free to play game with MT's and also offer a monthly sub like regular MMO's. Since then, the game has turned into a cash cow. Turbine was a private company and very hush hush on numbers. With the success of their new busness model, they had no issues posting the info. Get use to it folks, MT's are here to stay.

One more thing I wish to remind you all. These are For Profit companies. They are out to make Money! And it It just so happens, they make their money by making games. You can whine, belleyache, nerdrage all you want.....you will Not change that fact.
DDO's model is as i suggested in my OP. Cryptic's model is bologna and not only am I tired of the C-Store, I'm also tired of people asking for game content to be placed in the C-Store. The game content people are requesting should be put in the game as part of the monthly fee. That's what we are paying for, or already paid for in my case.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I think some things are ok for the c-store and some things are not.

Playable races for example make me pause, as I think races should be included in the game package and factions through expansions.

I was under the impression that only fluff items and only some game features such as respecs where pretty much the only thing we would see hit the store.

Char re-names cost I think no matter what game you go to.

It would take all the gamers in the world to stand up and say "not in my game" with so many companies using purchaseable items, well at least a majority of the players anyways.

Even Blizzard has a store, they have non-combat pets and at least one mount for sale in theirs.

It is not a really big deal as long as they do not go overboard with it.
If they can make a little extra money to get us more content and at a faster rate than I am not too concerned as long as they set up some boundries and keep within them.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-07-2010, 11:02 PM
I have a relative simple solution that would help alleviate the c-store headache and add some extra content for free to help those bored RA-5 at least have *something* to grind for.

Make missions offer c-store points as rewards upon completion.

It doesn't have to be a whole ton of points, maybe just 1 or 2 on normal, 3-4 on advanced and 5-6 on elite. (And if that's too fast only let RA 5's accumulate them)

For those of us at RA 5 without anything beyond some dailies to run there's not a whole lot of incentive to log in every day/weekend (or even stay subbed until season 2 comes out) however many bored RA-5's I suspect would be happy to grind for their "fluff" and doubly so for the extra races and new ships. (if there were any)

C-store stuff would still sell through MT to the "I want it now* players who don't feel like grinding 100-200+ missions for the reward, as well as and the casual gamers who don't play often enough to grind for their fluff in any realistic period of time.

Combine this with making missions scale to the highest rank of the team member doing it, and suddenly there's incentive to play through all those missed lt 4 and lc 2 mission people skipped over while sailing towards RA 5 and the brick wall of doom.

On the subject of the whole "Refer a friend to get a awesome ship you'll never get anywhere else" scheme:

I understand greed prevents the addition of the ship to the game for free but at the very least add this stuff to the c-store as well, so those of us who already "referred a friend" (or three) before this offer came out don't get shafted as badly.

On the subject of "Wow charged for an expansion to get new races:"

True, to play a Blood Elf or a Dreanai you had to buy an expansion, but that expansion came with a whole lot more then new races; it came with 10 more level and and entire new world area] with a ton of content to expand end game.

Also more importantly, you very likely already had the character slots available to roll up the new race fi you wanted to and anjoy it.

Here it's "buy a new race" and if you are like most people with 3 chars already rolled and being played it's "fork over more cash" for the char slot so you can actually make one without deleting the toons you already put work into.

In short, include a free char slot for each new race purchased and lay off milking that poor cash cow, her teats are already mighty sore from the rest of your abuse.

On the C-store in general:

It really does feel like a money grab selling things like "character slots" when virtually every other mmo out there lets you have around 5+ chars and the hard drive space for each one is less then 100kb of data.

If they insist on making such an obvious money grab out of such things they should at least lower the monthly fee to $8 or so or the c-store cost of stuff to something more reasonable than hundreds points.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Giving Cryptic Points as rewards for level-cap content, currently RA5, is a welcome idea. I'm open to any change that will allow us to acquire game content currently being placed in the C-Store without us having to spend money above and beyond the subscription fee.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-10-2010, 07:30 AM
There is also the underlying question if a sub-based game should have an item store at all, but well.

I would like to second the idea to make the C-Store a "convenience store", i.e. you can obtain the stuff for ingame activities or special achievements, or you pay for it if you are lazy.

The other idea is to make this a Free 2 Play game. But this would put even more emphasis on the C-Store, as the game would need to give players incentives to buy from the store, otherwise it would simply not work that way.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-25-2011, 08:47 AM
How many times does this thread need to be made before people get the point? The C-Store will not be going away. If people are not willing to but an item out of the C-store they will just stop making that type of item. (Ship Skins) You may feel that you are being double charged because you pay a sub and then have to buy this crap from the store, as far as Cryptic is concerned you are paying a sub to plat the game and then you have the option of buying this extra crap on top of that.

Even if all the stuff in the store became free tomorrow there would be nothing to do with it because most of us are VAs stuck wandering around hoping for the day we get some kind of new playable content. How my character is dressed when that day comes is less important to me then how many more months it is going to take for that day to come.
Closed Thread