Lt. Commander
# 21
05-07-2010, 05:38 PM
The videos are simply amazing. Too bad they didn't show interstellar travel. Maybe that's not ready yet.

In any case, this looks great but I doubt we will ever see it for STO. They would need to revamp the game engine just so we can be inside our ships and scroll out for a 3rd person view.

Being able to land with shuttles in STO won't be that great I believe. They are still in the mode of doing things quick and cheap. So shuttles in STO at best means you can pilot a shuttle in 3rd person down to the atmosphere's edge at which time our current loading screen will be displayed. Or worst case, a simple animation of a shuttle leaving your ship before the loading screen displays and wham you are on the ground map.

Currently there's not really a planet to land on. Its just a 3D Object with a proximity trigger to move you to a square ground map.

Flying down through the atmosphere in a seamless transition to a full planet with all the details will be a major major undertaking. Very doubtful that Cryptic will spend the resources to design something similar and also doubtful they will purchase this space flight engine.

Sorry for bubble busting but it would take some dev comments from high up (Jack Emmert or above) for me to believe Cryptic is even considering space flight and full planetary exploration at this level of simulation.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-07-2010, 05:50 PM
ack had to stop watching it, that's the first ever time something like that has made my stomach churn, not a fan of the constant squishing and pulling of the foreground and background.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
The videos are simply amazing. Too bad they didn't show interstellar travel. Maybe that's not ready yet.

In any case, this looks great but I doubt we will ever see it for STO. They would need to revamp the game engine just so we can be inside our ships and scroll out for a 3rd person view.

Being able to land with shuttles in STO won't be that great I believe. They are still in the mode of doing things quick and cheap. So shuttles in STO at best means you can pilot a shuttle in 3rd person down to the atmosphere's edge at which time our current loading screen will be displayed. Or worst case, a simple animation of a shuttle leaving your ship before the loading screen displays and wham you are on the ground map.

Currently there's not really a planet to land on. Its just a 3D Object with a proximity trigger to move you to a square ground map.

Flying down through the atmosphere in a seamless transition to a full planet with all the details will be a major major undertaking. Very doubtful that Cryptic will spend the resources to design something similar and also doubtful they will purchase this space flight engine.

Sorry for bubble busting but it would take some dev comments from high up (Jack Emmert or above) for me to believe Cryptic is even considering space flight and full planetary exploration at this level of simulation.
I know, that's why I said it was a long shot :p. With that said, I am very impressed with the work a single dev was able to bring about with this engine. Also, the implementation of the planet/space exploration need not be implemented as exactly as shown in the video. It can also be instanced. You could for example use the engine to generate planets with astronomically accurate star movement and atmospheric effects while also maintaining the scale of a true planet for ground missions. Also not that this dev was running this client on a system running a Q6600 and a ATI 4860, so you need not have cutting edge hardware to run it at high quality. Cryptic used the CO engine for STO, and while it was a great time saving measure, I'm not sure if the ultra-instancing is the best solution for a space game. I also don't have high hopes of this engine or something similar being adopted, but I felt that someone should at least put it out there in the hopes that it influences future dev decisions on adding more sandbox elements to the game. I want STO to be this awesome!
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Awesome videos!

Yes, this is what I expected the first time I flew down toward a planet. Instead I met the white-screen-of-disappointment.

TRUE three dimensional motion (ala Descent) is also what I expected in SPACE. Space does not have an up and a down:

"He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking." --Spock, Star Strek: The Wrath of Khan

Talon
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Its all very nice, but that is not how space ships move in STAR TREK. and we are playing Star Trek MMO, not a Space flight sim.

Star Trek has a lot of non realistic qualities about it and not just movement, for instance, why does no one think of torpedo tubes that face the sides, top, and bottom of the ships?
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-08-2010, 01:23 AM
NVM. Did not get what makes the space flight there special. Cruise around earth 4 times in sol system and you get this - minus the tranquilizing music.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
That demo looks absolutely fantastic!

I was really taken aback when I saw the little stones in the ring of the planet, only to realize those are giant asteroids!

Immersion when going into the atmosphere of the planet was just WHOA!

All that being said, I'm gonna pull the old too-good-to-be-true. It's just that, for now.

Oh... and I think that game could be a killer single player game

I love STO, of course I have some complaints, nothing serious. But I sure will keep my fingers crossed that Infinity turns out to be what everyone wants.

Until then, Cryptic will turn STO into something almost equally fantastic. I hope
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Got to admit, was pretty snazzy going down to the planet without a transition. And you actually had depth to it.

Hopefully someday the STO devs will upgrade the Planets so we don't see the giant pixels and more depth to planetary rings.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Gave me chills.

Another game does that but not as pretty is Spore. Some good ideas in Spore as well.

There are some problems though I had with Spore that would probably translate over. And that is after awhile all the planets and objects feel the same even though they are totally different.

Either way though I love the transition from space to planet.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Wow, that is really REALLY boring, and not in the least bit Star Trek-y.

Yeah it LOOKS pretty, but it does nothing, and it would get old fast.